Author Topic: Disappointing kit  (Read 9574 times)

scaryfeet

Disappointing kit
« on: 13:24:27, 03/10/15 »
Hi everyone,

I wore my Merrell siren shoes the other day whilst doing some chores out and about. They're so comfy, but lethal. The vibram soles on them are so slippy, that I can even slip on dry pavement. I've even slipped on carpet before! Too late to send back. So was just wondering if any of you had any bits of kit that have spectacularly failed or let you down?  :)

oldenoughtoknowbetter

Re: Disappointing kit
« Reply #1 on: 14:34:04, 03/10/15 »
Sealskinz gloves 😒

Rhino

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 14:54:02, 03/10/15 »
Berghaus Mens Explorer Trek Gore-Tex Tech. Lethal and I mean lethal on wet rock
Wainwrights Completed 12/12/15

swanseamale47

« Reply #3 on: 15:26:48, 03/10/15 »
My issue Magnum boots were the same, even the slightest bit on moisture and it was like walking on an ice rink, downright dangerous.

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 16:44:50, 03/10/15 »
1.Dare2b waterproof jacket, seam tape dropped off during first wet test and i ended up soaked through.
2. Adidas fell running shoes, lethal on wet rock because the rubber sole was too hard, they dropped the model after just one season.
3. Waterproof map cases that leaked through the sewn seams.
4. 2 pairs of Salomon Cosmic 4D GTX boots that leaked shortly after purchase.

Strider

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 18:01:37, 03/10/15 »
Not all those who wander are lost

Lee in Doncaster

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 18:12:05, 03/10/15 »
Berghaus boots...the best and the worst. So comfortable and supportive...but lethal on limestone and any other stone when wet.
Walking every week in the Peak District...or somewhere else   http://peakwalking.blogspot.com

Snowman

« Reply #7 on: 22:27:25, 05/10/15 »
Interesting to hear of problems with Vibram.   A few years ago having Vibram soles was a massive plus when considering what walking boots to buy, however I'm beginning to wonder if something has changed in their production methods.

A while ago I slipped, going down on one knee, on some tiles outside my local shopping centre.   I was a little concerned since I was wearing a newish pair of walking shoes with Vibram soles, and if you can't trust them ouside a shopping centre, would you want to trust them in the mountains?   Ok these tiles were wet, but so is Snowdonia.

Strider

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 23:13:40, 05/10/15 »
I think the harder-wearing compounds are more prone to slipping than the softer ones.
Not all those who wander are lost

scaryfeet

« Reply #9 on: 00:12:51, 06/10/15 »
Thanks for all your replies. I agree, interesting to read about slippy boots/shoes! Thought maybe I'd just got a dodgy pair. Something I'll definitely think about more when it comes to replacing my current boots.

Trenchfoot

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 08:59:45, 06/10/15 »
No surprises that boots are featuring here. The build quality on my Miendl Borneo's was disappointing and the service received from Miendl was equally disappointing, rubbish in fact.
roll on the weekend

gar303

« Reply #11 on: 07:12:51, 07/10/15 »
My Berghaus Deluge, the drawstring is useless and they wont stay up

Any ideas on a fix?
« Last Edit: 07:20:32, 07/10/15 by gar303 »

mananddog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 08:08:19, 07/10/15 »
No boot will grip on limestone polished by lots of foot fall, ditto most stone that has received such treatment especially when wet.

My worst bit of kit was mainly my own miserly fault; I bought some cheap Russian titanium ice screws, the first time I used one, half way up a serious ice pitch with the prospect of a long drop, I noticed the ice around it breaking. The screw had split and was bending back on itself in the ice, fortunately I had an old ice screw too. I still have one of those I bought unused, nice and shiny if anyone wants to buy it? ::)

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 08:16:15, 07/10/15 »

Any ideas on a fix?

Really?  I've never had an issue with mine.  How old are they?  Berghaus are generally pretty good on customer service, so unless they're ancient I'd try contacting them.
Where there's a will ...

Summit

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 09:25:37, 07/10/15 »

Any ideas on a fix?

It's not nessesarily an issue with the specific trousers. Recently I lost a fair bit of timber and found that as my bum got smaller it was harder to retain drawstring type trousers on my waistline. I have a couple of pairs of Montane waterproofs, venture and superfly. I bought montane braces and adapted my own loops for them from shop bought material.
http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/equipment-c3/accessories-c10/cord-clips-buckles-c86/braces-p3214

I actually wish I had known about them years ago. They actually make the trousers more comfortable and they stop any bunching around the waist when bent over. Always hated bending down to tie a shoe lace then having to readjust etc. The give in the braces allows then to move with you and they are not noticeable under rucksack straps either.
BURN FAT NOT OIL

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy