Author Topic: Walking boot insole recommendations  (Read 4824 times)

wooster

Walking boot insole recommendations
« on: 22:29:12, 10/10/15 »
Hi I have a  pair of Brasher Hillmaster II GTX boots and I also have a pair os Salamon Hillpass boots. I'm looking to improve the comfort of both of these by fitting insoles. Reason being is that I'm prone to painful feet. I've had it all checked out and nothing wrong. Normal feet but maybe being overweight is not helping.

I bought a pair of orthotic insoles and they caused me a lot of problems . They were ones with a large filler for the arches on the inside leg side. (Does this make sense?) and caused me quite a  bit more pain and discomfort in the leg muscles. I binned them.

Anyway, I'm looking for some insoles that won't do the same but that will provide more cushioning and comfort than the standard issue ones.

All advice would be gratefully received

Thanks

motorlaunch

Re: Walking boot insole recommendations
« Reply #1 on: 22:48:49, 10/10/15 »
I use the Svartz Anatomic Absorber footbed. Quite a thick footbed though, they might cause pressure on the top of your toes.
http://www.altberg.co.uk/svartz-footbeds/product/anatomic-absorber/

wooster

« Reply #2 on: 23:01:03, 10/10/15 »
Thank you. It's difficult to know re the thickness issue. On one hand I want cushioning but I don't want to cause more problems than I solve. I know Sorbothane have a following though it seems the insole I want -double strike - recommended for my type of foot pain, isn't available in UK 9.5 EU44 size

geordie33

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 07:59:37, 11/10/15 »
You are right to be cautious.I use Sorbothene double strikes and like them but they only fit 1 pair of my boots.In the others they crush my foot to the top of the boot.

youradvocate

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 10:34:28, 11/10/15 »
I use Sorbothane's and they do help me. However I have found that to get them to fit properly I now buy 7 Sorbothane's (my feet size) and 7.5 boots. Of course it is important to check if one manufacturers 7.5 size is the same as another brand of boot. I find that some boots vary into 'small' 7.5's or 'larger' 7.5's sizes. For me it can make the difference between, a boot that I like to wear, to one that is uncomfortable. I also put the normal boot inserts on top of the Sorbothanes, for me it just feels more comfortable.

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 21:45:40, 11/10/15 »
Thank you. It's difficult to know re the thickness issue. On one hand I want cushioning but I don't want to cause more problems than I solve. I know Sorbothane have a following though it seems the insole I want -double strike - recommended for my type of foot pain, isn't available in UK 9.5 EU44 size

I use Sorbothane Double strike a lot and have several pairs. I buy a bigger size and cut them to size of the insoles that came with the footwear I intend to put them in.
Could it be that your arches have fallen and that is causing pain, if so any orthotic that raises your arch, even slightly will be uncomfortable until your feet accept them. The first pair I had custom made to the shape of my feet, felt like i had golf balls under the arch at first and I could only wear them for a few minutes at a time. Then a bit longer and so on, until I can now wear them all day with comfort.

Mrnace

wooster

« Reply #7 on: 22:39:37, 26/10/15 »
Thanks for these replies. I am reviewing my footwear options to help with some foot problems I have encountered and will bear all these suggestions in mind while investigating my options :)

wooster

« Reply #8 on: 22:40:52, 26/10/15 »
I use Sorbothane Double strike a lot and have several pairs. I buy a bigger size and cut them to size of the insoles that came with the footwear I intend to put them in.
Could it be that your arches have fallen and that is causing pain, if so any orthotic that raises your arch, even slightly will be uncomfortable until your feet accept them. The first pair I had custom made to the shape of my feet, felt like i had golf balls under the arch at first and I could only wear them for a few minutes at a time. Then a bit longer and so on, until I can now wear them all day with comfort.

Hi slogger. How long did it take you to acclimatise to the insoles? I tried mine for a few days and then gave up. Maybe I was too hasty. I am going to see a podiatrist next month to try and get some help.

christer

« Reply #9 on: 09:41:44, 27/10/15 »
Never buy boots until you know which insoles you will be using would be my advice, and of course when trying you should wear the socks etc you will use. Wiggle room for toes is necessary.

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 14:08:00, 27/10/15 »

Hi slogger. How long did it take you to acclimatise to the insoles? I tried mine for a few days and then gave up. Maybe I was too hasty. I am going to see a podiatrist next month to try and get some help.

To be honest, I've always popped Double Strike's into my shoes/boots and never needed to acclimatise to them. The only time I didn't feel comfy in them was when I did a beginners mistake (which many of us have done) and not taken out the original insole before putting in the Double Strike, meaning I didn't have much room in the shoe, oops.
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy