Author Topic: Monopod  (Read 4307 times)

Davon

Monopod
« on: 17:05:10, 12/11/15 »
Hi all ,

Just about to get a  dslr ( my first) and wondering if any of you rate  carrying a mono- pod  for your walking photography  outings  or are they an unneeded piece of luggage to carry on the hills ?

Thanks

Dave

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Monopod
« Reply #1 on: 17:56:56, 12/11/15 »
My trekking poles have a removable plug that can take a camera mount.  Some other poles do the same.  Google "trekking pole camera mount"  Monopod and trekking pole - 2 birds, 1 stone.
Solvitur Ambulando

alewife

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 18:09:22, 12/11/15 »
You can also get some natty little tripods with bendy legs which enable you to make use of surrounding features like a rock, or a tree branch, to position your camera and save the weight of a tripod/monopod. I guess it depends where you're walking and what you are taking pics of. As a dslr user, I have to say I rarely take it on walks/scrambles as it tends to stay in my bag most of the time: I tend to go out with the camera as a separate activity and just use my phone for snaps otherwise.
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

GazzerG

« Reply #3 on: 18:36:08, 12/11/15 »
All depends on how serious you are about photography...
I started off carrying all sorts and just got frustrated carrying it.
I've only just started off myself, so for me it all depends on the walk really. Don't rate mono pods really, unless you want to take a picture over a cliff.... :o 
XCSource do a tripod for around £45, which doubles up as a mono pod, you can find them on Amazon and are really good for the price (I've got one HERE)
Everything I shoot is hand held, unless I am doing a specific waterfall walk, then I take my tripod along.
You could always get the pro version of the Gorilla Pod, like alewife suggests, might get one myself....

Most landscape photographers wouldn't go anywhere without a tripod, as they use all kinds of grad filters and and ND filters, but the're photographers first and walkers second....
If its your first dslr, just spend your time getting to know your camera and you will soon know what kit you need.
Shoot in RAW, learn your aperture and shutter priorities and invest in Adobe Lightroom, plenty of ruined pictures rescued shooting in RAW. Loads of YouTube vids explaining why and how  O0
Enjoy either way  ;)

swanseamale47

« Reply #4 on: 22:14:27, 26/11/15 »
You can also get some natty little tripods with bendy legs which enable you to make use of surrounding features like a rock, or a tree branch, to position your camera and save the weight of a tripod/monopod. I guess it depends where you're walking and what you are taking pics of. As a dslr user, I have to say I rarely take it on walks/scrambles as it tends to stay in my bag most of the time: I tend to go out with the camera as a separate activity and just use my phone for snaps otherwise.
Look for gorillapod, there are copies but some are very poor.

I favor a manfrotto monopod, built like a tank, plenty solid enough to walk with and obviously works great as a monopod.  That said I have got one of those walking poles with the monopod head built in.  It works ok but it's nowhere near as solid as the manfrotto.

Wurz

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 09:42:15, 27/11/15 »
Personally I've never seen the point in a monopod. If I'm going to be shooting in low light then as Gazzer says I'd carry a tripod.  If it was going to be unlikely then I would try and brace against a tree/wall/post/rock/walking pole if necessary/available.

I don't like Gorillapods either. Clever but height limited unless you have a tree/wall/rock/post handy. The SLR sized one is very heavy for what it is and quite bulky.

Some people carry a beanbag to sit the camera on. If you are going to use a tripod remember to use mirror lock up and a remote release or 2 second timer.  If you are holding it/using a monopod don't bother.

For small cameras, not DSLR's I used to carry an Ultrpod, very light, small and compact and could be attached to trees/posts, etc. with a builtin velcro strap.
« Last Edit: 09:47:23, 27/11/15 by Wurz »

swanseamale47

« Reply #6 on: 12:28:40, 27/11/15 »
Monopods are good for steading the camera when you need to be moving it around a lot (like sports and wildlife) often with long lens on.  Try floodlight football with a tripod and you'll see why  ;)

Wurz

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 17:26:45, 27/11/15 »
Monopods are good for steading the camera when you need to be moving it around a lot (like sports and wildlife) often with long lens on.  Try floodlight football with a tripod and you'll see why  ;)

Good point but that's a bit different to landscapes. Don't a lot of wildlife togs use gimbal heads on tripods like Wibberley?

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 12:01:48, 28/11/15 »
If you go for a gorillapod, keep it away from your compass/gps/phone.  It has magnetic feet  >:(

swanseamale47

« Reply #9 on: 22:28:02, 28/11/15 »

Good point but that's a bit different to landscapes. Don't a lot of wildlife togs use gimbal heads on tripods like Wibberley?

Some do but you cant reposition a tripod as fast as a monopod, if your watching a nest or a feeder a tripod is fine, you can move the camera easily the small amount you need to frame the subject, if your out and about the monopod is just rested on the ground and you shoot, if the bird moves to another branch or tree you simply lift and move and shoot, ideally a tripod should be leveled each time.

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 13:04:46, 02/12/15 »
Never used a monopod, my mate uses a bean bag.

As a scrambler/climber I find a coiled rope or my gear rack on a rock or rucksac works just as well.

Always think its better if you can make an item multi-functional.

Last week I was trying to take landscapes at dusk with camera on a robust tripod, high winds just blew the rigg over and even when I held it down the dslr was bouncing.

So I put the camera on my coiled lightweight 7mm scrambling rope, end of problem.

swanseamale47

« Reply #11 on: 08:37:57, 03/12/15 »
You used to be able to get vacuum bean bags, you bunged the camera on squeezed a bulb thingy and the bean bag "set" hard, moulded around the camera.  They worked well enough if I remember rightly, haven't seen one for years though.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 19:16:58, 08/02/16 »
I would most definately  recommend a monopod, especially for a camera possibly as heavy as a digital SLR.
The one i purchased, is manufactured by the Italian company Manfrotto.

It was not that expensive, and is manufactured from aircraft quality aluminium alloy.
A tripod can get in the way, and is a lot heavier as well.

You will be amazed at the difference in results, when your using a stable camera support.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 19:18:30, 08/02/16 »
Llandudnoboy?  Is that you?  ??? 

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 20:08:45, 08/02/16 »
No,i do not think so.

I have friends living in llandudno, but ive recently moved from South Wales to live in Dyffryn Ardudwy.

I used to live in Cyncoed, Cardiff for nineteen years, but the noise and congestion of city life became a nuisance.

When you feel like you have  broken every bone in your body, falling roughly below Rhinog Fach, as i did some years ago, you are drawn back to this area of Snowdonia, its got great memories for me.

Never in my life did i dream of living in the area five years ago, but Dyffryn knocks Cardiff into touch no problem.

Over the years ive ventured to Snowdonia many times, actually i know it just as well as the Beacons, but seven years ago i discovered The Rhinogs on a beautiful Autumn day.

Now that i have the financial means behind me, to retire early, i fell in love with this gorgeous two bedroom cottage in Dyffryn.

Its was built over 400yrs ago, but has had a top and bottom modern refit, virtually a new building other than the massive stone structure.

From my kitchen window, i can see Moelfre, Yr Lether and Diffwys off to the right, and less than a mile to the gorgeous Dyffryn beach, and optional naturist section if its warm enough.

Cardiff if needs be, is a two and a bit hours away, and Snowdonia within ten minutes walk from my front door.

I cannot think of a nicer place to live at the moment.

Peace, Tranquility, local shop over the road, good rail service, views to dream about, and this cosy cottage with log burner in the lounge.

« Last Edit: 20:23:56, 08/02/16 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy