Author Topic: Remarkable indeed! New record set for Eiger North Face climb  (Read 3566 times)

ljmeerkat75

• Veteran Member
Remarkable!! In the early days of climbing it took several days to do this amazing how things change

Rhino

• Veteran Member
Great stuff and without ropes the mad [censored]  8)
Wainwrights Completed 12/12/15

April

• Veteran Member
If he slipped, it would have been certain death. Incredible athlete.
Hate will never win

pleb

• Veteran Member
Probably running away from the taxman.....................
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

domtheone

• Veteran Member
Fantastic. O0

Looks amazing on the vid.

Makes me want to go and give it a go but some of it looks a bit more than a Grade 1/2 scramble so probably a bit out of my range :D
If they don't like you going out, they'll love you coming in!

*Money back guarantee does not cover for **** weather!

Rhino

• Veteran Member
I watched this at the weekend again to make sure i wasnt drunk when i watched it the first time but how quick does he go up that snowwall using his axes like a nutter, he is running up it  8)

domtheone

• Veteran Member
Yeh, he made it look easy.

Is that what you're going to look like when you get your axe out up on Tryfan  ;D

Rhino

• Veteran Member
Yeh, he made it look easy.

Is that what you're going to look like when you get your axe out up on Tryfan  ;D

;D  I wish  ;D  i dont think i would go that fast if i fell off Tryfan  ;D

domtheone

• Veteran Member
i dont think i would go that fast if i fell off Tryfan  ;D

;D ;D ;D

Wurz

• Veteran Member
It's a 2500m long route with 1800m of ascent so according to Naismith should take 3 1/2 hours!  A lot of people couldn't get up a path that quickly, let alone run up a grande nord!  :o

tonyk

• Veteran Member
 Impressive,but people should remember that Harrer wore nailed boots on the icefields when he made the first ascent in 1938,hence the reason he had to walk up the second icefield. ;)

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
Unless everyone knows already - my recommendation is Heinrich Harrer's book " The White Spider ".   I think it was my first mountaineering book and if you read it properly and try to understand the context in which most of the early climbs were carried out (as tonyk states *) you will be astounded at their bravery. No surprise it's original name was Eiger Nordwand.
* - Marked since I'm intrigued at this nom de plume : - as you will be if you read White Spider.
Not wishing to give anything away but I remember reading the harrowing account of the 1936 expedition that included Hinterstoisser/Kurz/Angerer/Rainer and what an ill fated attempt it became. The whole account is moving ..... but I have to admit at reading the story with tears in my eyes when the account about Kurz unfolds.
The good thing about this book (amongst other things) is that you find out how the names of the famous features of the Eiger came about - e.g. The Hinterstoisser Traverse for one.
If you have the inclination - read it and then think about what April just posted: It really puts Ueli's achievement into context:- well, you did wonder if superman existed !
Tune in next month for my second BOOK CLUB recommendation.
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

Wurz

• Veteran Member
The face is still called the Nordwand if you speak German.  ;)

M@rink@

We climbed it too!! In a different direction though, along its waistline :D
Rainbow catcher...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy