Author Topic: Winter gloves  (Read 7892 times)

quixoticgeek

Re: Winter gloves
« Reply #15 on: 17:58:45, 24/11/15 »
"When I was little, my mum sewed my gloves on to the ends of a length of string that she passed through the sleeves of my coat," anyone else have that? Me and we kept our dinner money in the gloves. We also walked to school in any weather, played conkers without a mask and gloves. Maybe I'am just an old fart. Just purchased a pair of winter gloves from China £10, they are very warm and seem to be well made, time will tell Dave

Yeah, I used to have gloves on a string like that when I was at school. Back before people started perpetuating myths about health and safety.

J
--
Http://b.42q.eu/ - Beer, Bikes and Backpacking.

Rhino

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 19:01:33, 24/11/15 »
The Regatta X-ert seems to be out of stock in most places and may have possibly been replaced by the Regatta Igniter?

Cheapest place I could find is here @ £14.11 plus £3.99 post (unless you spend over £50 to qualify for free delivery)

http://www.outdoorlook.co.uk/men/accessories/gloves/regatta-mens-mitts-waterproof-and-breathable-gloves-black-rmg012-rmg012b

Yes looks like your right so glad i bought 2 pairs now  :)
Wainwrights Completed 12/12/15

wobblyknees

« Reply #17 on: 20:02:13, 24/11/15 »
I have some Sealskin gloves that are pretty waterproof.

Trouble is, in the cold they're ****, breathability is ****.

Agree 100%. Sealskinz gloves were probably my worst buy ever in outdoor gear. My £5 pair of Aldi skiing gloves beats the socks of them. Extremely warm but virtually NIL breathability. A pair of inner liners are needed to get sweaty hands in and out.

Aldi and Lidl usually do their skiing special offers around this time of year.

I also have a warm pair of mittens with an opening across the palm at base of fingers. Handy for doing anything with fingers without having to take off the mitts. Can't remember where I got them - Probably Aldi or Lidl.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 20:05:42, 24/11/15 »
Before I moved up to Scotland I saw some thin fleece extremities gloves for sale, I thought they'd wear out quite quickly so I got two pairs. I've been up here for thirteen years their still going strong. I'm not sure which model they are maybe these.
http://www.terra-nova.co.uk/clothing-accessories/all-gloves-mitts/hi-wick-sticky-thicky-glove/
Their not waterproof, when I need something waterproof I use either Dachstein mitts.
http://www.joe-brown.com/2030/products/dachstein-mitts.aspx with an old pair of gore-Tex overmittes
or Mountain Equipment guide gloves for when I'm skiing.
http://www.joe-brown.com/3211/products/mountain-equipment-guide-glove.aspx
I also have a pair of extremities mittens (which they don't seem to make anymore) for when it's silly cold as in Scandinavia.

swanseamale47

« Reply #19 on: 22:02:41, 24/11/15 »
"When I was little, my mum sewed my gloves on to the ends of a length of string that she passed through the sleeves of my coat," anyone else have that? Me and we kept our dinner money in the gloves. We also walked to school in any weather, played conkers without a mask and gloves. Maybe I'am just an old fart. Just purchased a pair of winter gloves from China £10, they are very warm and seem to be well made, time will tell Dave
Yep remember it all.  We rode cycles without helmets, we walked to school sports without hi-vis jackets. The playground wasn't closed with the first hint of frost, and strangly we all lived to tell the tale.   Maybe I'm an old fart as well.   ;)

iradio

« Reply #20 on: 12:40:46, 25/11/15 »
I bought a pair of Campri Ski gloves from Sports Direct last year, tagged them onto my order for the walking poles, and think they were on special offer for £2.50
They are lovely and warm, but did make my hands feel a little sweaty, and when i pulled them off, the inside 'liner' came out with my fingers, and was a [censored] to get back in.
Only happened once though, as I now remember to try and grab the liner through the glove before pulling my fingers out.
I'd never spend much on gloves to be honest, I always lose them!
My walking blogs can be found here:
www.amberrambler.wordpress.com/

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 13:45:10, 25/11/15 »
Get your Mum to sew some string on them!  ;D
Solvitur Ambulando

iradio

« Reply #22 on: 14:11:00, 25/11/15 »
Haha, Its more 'at home' I lose them than when i'm out!

My walking blogs can be found here:
www.amberrambler.wordpress.com/

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 18:08:14, 25/11/15 »
Yeah, but if they were on a bit of string, they would be hanging out of the sleeves of your jacket and you'd never lose them again. Do I have to think of everything!?  ;)
Solvitur Ambulando

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 22:40:39, 30/11/15 »
When I was little, my mum sewed my gloves on to the ends of a length of string that she passed through the sleeves of my coat, anyone else have that?
Not quite, but I did come across that analogy being used by a well respected Alpinist/Himalayan climber whose 'handy hint' - was that his gloves were protected from falling off by use of paracord/similar used ....' like mothers used to do ...'  It was a well made point and blatantly simple: You'd feel a right birk (burk) if you were in poor conditions and fumbled a glove which fell away and blew off never to be seen again, all for the sake of a length of cord.
I know everyone is going to say "but that's why I carry a spare pair " - but you get the idea.

I have a pair of Mountain Equipment Guide gloves from a few years ago which I nearly always wear with silk liners. Probably not the best but I always feel comfortable in them, they have a good track record for me and I have worn them in atrocious conditions.
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

altirando

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 23:23:22, 30/11/15 »
Also have Extremities Velo Goretex gloves with grippy palms, perfect for use with poles.  Use them more than a fleece pair and some mitts - perhaps because I am rarely out in very cold severe weather.

christer

« Reply #26 on: 11:29:10, 15/02/16 »
Hi all

I just wanted to come back to this thread as I purchased some gloves recently and have tested them in Norway this week.

The gloves are: https://www.montane.co.uk/en/men/accessories/gloves/super-prism-glove

I wore these on 2 separate 4 hour hikes. The first in -9 degC with some wind - and certainly they were warm enough. Also, I had to fight my way through 1.5metres of snow for about 40 minutes on that one, and can confirm that they do not get particularly wet in that sort of use - although I do not expect them to be waterproof. They are very comfortable to wear. The second hike was in slightly warmer temps - from -7degC to about +2degC (depending on whether I was in the shaded valley, or on the sunny side) - and again these are more than warm enough. In fact, my hands generally are very warm, and removed the gloves at times to cool down. I am pretty sure that at -9degC with pretty strong wind chill even, these would keep you warm whilst moving.

They would be too warm for anything over 5-10degC when moving I guess - but the theme was "winter gloves" after all...:)

I do need to find a decent set for spring/summer/autumn use at higher altitudes with windchill that are not as warm as these. If I find anything decent I will try to update in another thread.

HTH

C

domtheone

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 14:57:44, 15/02/16 »
Thanks for the update.  O0

They look pretty decent.

I'll make a mental note of them for when i get a pair of winter gloves.

Given how mild it's generally been so far this winter though, i might be buying them for next winter so might wait to see if I can get a pair of winter gloves on sale in the summer :)
If they don't like you going out, they'll love you coming in!

*Money back guarantee does not cover for **** weather!

christer

« Reply #28 on: 15:11:00, 15/02/16 »
Either that or go hiking somewhere outside UK??;)

domtheone

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 15:14:08, 15/02/16 »
Either that or go hiking somewhere outside UK??;)

Outside the UK defo.  Maybe not this year but would love to.

Nice idea for a future meet :D

If they don't like you going out, they'll love you coming in!

*Money back guarantee does not cover for **** weather!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy