Author Topic: Welsh 3000  (Read 4173 times)

Brian borrett

Welsh 3000
« on: 08:15:03, 24/11/15 »
Hi all
I have failed this challenge twice ,once due to a very poor navigational decision the second failure was due to bad weather . Both times I slept on snowdon and set off first thing in the morning. I now know the route across the glyder's fairly well so I am thinking of setting off late evening and getting up and down snowdon before it gets dark then walking the glyder's in the dark and getting to tryfan at or just before day break.
This seems a fairly good option to me but I have not found any reports on this option
Am I missing the obvious ?
My plan is to complete the challenge in under 24hrs not to complete it ASAP
Thanks for any advice
Regards
Brian
Ps the wife is our support so food stop times are not an issue
Thanks again
« Last Edit: 09:23:15, 24/11/15 by Brian borrett »

altirando

• Veteran Member
Re: Welsh 3000
« Reply #1 on: 19:37:23, 24/11/15 »
Yes ... it is dark at night.  The classic way is to start over Crib Goch about six in the morning, drop back down after Snowdon summit from the midway rail station for breakfast, cross the Glyders and Tryfan for lunch in the big parking area in Ogwen, then refreshed, plod up Penyr Ole Wen (the worst bit, you are getting tired) then a stroll in the evening sunshine along the Carneddau ridge.  If you are thinking of 24 hours, forget it.  You will simply get too tired for the time you have spent on your feet.  Fifteen hours is very reasonable, just walking at a steady pace.   A great experience.  The secret is not to rush.  Just keep walking at your normal pace.  Let us all know.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:53:42, 24/11/15 »
I've done this a few (dozen) times, best time is around mid-summer. Start before dawn from pen y pass so that you get to the top of Crib Goch by first light. After Crib y Ddyysgl and Snowdon drop down the Llanberis track (parallel to the train track) until the half way house. Go under the rails (there's a bridge) and you'll find a path which takes you down to Nant Peris (1st pit stop).
Follow the path which goes up past the campsite on Williams farm keep going up until just past the Liverpool climbing club hut there's a path that takes you up Elidir Fawr. From there it's an obvious contour around to Y Garn and you know the Glyders.
I find that the better way up Pen yr Ole Wen is from the eastern end of Llyn Ogwen not from Ogwen cottage. Start at Tal y Llyn Ogwen and the Midland Mountaineering club hut, follow the path towards Ffynnon Lloer but take the path off left up the ridge before the Cum this is an easier way to the summit.
The Carnedd are all in a line except for Yr Elen which means you have to do Llewelyn twice which is a bummer. get someone to pick you up from Aber falls when you've finished. It's always use to take me around eleven hours but I've not done it for a few years (maybe 20) so it might well take me longer now.   

Brian borrett

« Reply #3 on: 05:12:57, 25/11/15 »
Ok thanks for the replies.
Yes I know the classic is to start early but still can not see why it would not work leaving in the evening. ????
We had only 3 peaks to complete when we got rained off :(
Thanks again
Brian

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 19:25:05, 25/11/15 »
Doesn't really matter what time you start does it. Start times for these sort of things are usually worked out based on projected pace and desired finish time. As you say, it can still work setting off in the evening as long as you ok on rocky terrain in the dark.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 21:06:45, 25/11/15 »
Brian,

Sorry wasn't trying to teach you to suck eggs, you could do it that way the only problem is finding your way up the scree of Glyder Fawr there's so many false paths to contend with in the dark. When you say you slept on Snowdon, do you mean you carried bivi kit all the way?

altirando

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 21:16:33, 25/11/15 »
Your body is not used to surging into efforts at the end of the day. Even when you just hang around doing nothing it is still tiring. Have tried it years ago, riding a 24 hour cycle race starting late afternoon. We are somehow linked to daylight. The 15 hours I suggested is easy going.  I was comfortably under 12 hours just plodding round. And it is delightful strolling along the Carneddau ridge watching the sun setting over the sea.

altirando

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 21:18:38, 25/11/15 »
Should add that it is well worth while checking out all the connections beforehand = easy to lose time going astray.

Brian borrett

« Reply #8 on: 09:56:22, 26/11/15 »
Hi all thanks for the replies

Sorry Owen I just read my reply to you and it did sound a bit off , on our first attempt we took a tent and slept at the top in horrible weather , the second time we took a couple of bivvy's and slept in the mines half way up the miners trail.

Thanks slogger , we have penciled in a couple of summer dates next year on weekends near or on the full moon and will only start out if the weather forecast is for clear sky's  we have walked the glyders a few times so should be ok plus we can fall back on our GPS if we have any doubts

Thanks for the warning Altirando , yep I know exactly what you mean, I have work shift jobs all my life and know how it mess's with the body clock. I have done a few challenge events so know how tough it is to keep going ( especially on long training sessions ) after a full day at work

Thanks again for the replies

Brian

Brian borrett

« Reply #9 on: 10:12:15, 26/11/15 »
It's interesting that the 15 hour mark is achievable with out rushing ?
We were on about the 20 hour mark when we got rained off , mind you it was very wet underfoot and heavy rain followed us most of the way. We also had several coffee breaks on the way to keep warm
Thanks again all,I may revise my target time
Brian

altirando

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 13:11:20, 26/11/15 »
I was around 11.30 although I had not bothered to time myself - the more relaxed approach could end up being faster than constantly checking your watch.  Just aim to enjoy the day, you are not going to break any records.  But do make yourself confident of the connections.

altirando

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 16:24:34, 26/11/15 »
Better make it clear I am talking first to last summit times - road to road would add at least an hour.  I think it helped me to join up with a group who had second breakfast cooking in Llanberis and  a good lunch ready in Ogwen. A mistake to try to do the walk on energy bars, far too long a day.   

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 20:33:29, 26/11/15 »
I've always taken a fell runners approach and carried as little as possible. Cag, light fleece, map, compass, water, energy bars. Couldn't possible face any meal along the way let alone a cooked breakfast and lunch.

altirando

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 22:46:38, 26/11/15 »
So how much quicker were you doing it the Spartan way?

Brian borrett

« Reply #14 on: 07:21:54, 27/11/15 »
Hi
Thanks again for the replies
I think energy gels vs solid food during an endurance event is a personal thing.
Personally I tend to mainly use gels . I finished the Welsh ironman a couple of months back, I had a large bowl of Alpen with extra nuts and a banana for breakfast,after that I use gels only  . I'm training for the Devizes to Westminster kayak race ( 125 miles with about 80 portages) again this will mainly be done on energy gels .
I have read loads of posts on different sites about the pro's and con's of gels and as I said at the beginning it comes down to personal choice . ( just my opinion ! )
Thanks again all
Brian

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy