Author Topic: Welsh 3000  (Read 4185 times)

altirando

• Veteran Member
Re: Welsh 3000
« Reply #15 on: 18:51:58, 27/11/15 »
I did a lot of cycle racing in my twenties, including long distance events such as 24 hours, and actually one record.  If I were trying to knock off the 3000s in six hours I would certainly take the same minimal gear/energy food approach.  But I assume most people are just out to enjoy the experience not to break a record.  If - at the age of sixty odd - I can get round the 3000s in a civilised manner with a muesli breakfast before starting, sausage breakfast after Snowdon, salad lunch in Ogwen and still get under 12 hours enjoying the whole day, still able to finish the day in time to have an evening in the pub, I don't see the point in making myself miserable.  And anyway, there is actually a trade-off between speed, sustenance, rests, energy, time.  I was still able to jog the last few miles down the valley. I think I would just have got slower and slower with the snatched food approach - speed is less tiring than slogging.  And that is another recommendation - try to increase your natural speed and certainly look at your footwear. If I were trying now, I think the only change I would make is using poles, faster downhills.

Brian borrett

« Reply #16 on: 20:18:27, 27/11/15 »
Hi thanks for the reply
Fully understand what your saying
I am only on a box ticking exercise and have never been into running of any sort . If I finish in under 20 hours I will be more than happy.
As for the poles I think I need to learn how to use them correctly then I will definitely take some with me , from years of abuse my knees are slowly falling to bits so going down hill causes me a fair bit of discomfort,plus I have the odd fall where my knee gives way .

Getting old is pants

Anyway

Once again thanks for the reply
Brian ( the oldest novice in town )

altirando

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 23:14:16, 27/11/15 »
Even in summer that is a lot of darkness and as I suggested a very long time to survive on energy snacks.  Have you thought of doing the walk over two days?   

Brian borrett

« Reply #18 on: 08:45:19, 29/11/15 »
Hi
If i did it over 2 days i would feel that i have not done the task justice
Im feel like im getting old not ready for retirement
Ta

altirando

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 18:56:27, 29/11/15 »
.....and remember, getting old may be 'pants' but it is a lot better than the alternative .........

chrisj

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 12:24:48, 30/11/15 »
Doing the National 3 Peaks normally involves doing Scarfell Pike and part of Snowdon in the dark, so if you have the confidence and skills in the hills to tackle the Glyders section in the dark, there is no reason that your plan couldn't work.
I would say though, that much as you say you know the route across the Glyders now, be aware that things look different in the dark, so make sure you know what you are in for and are happy that you are up to it.
www.chrisjacksoncoaching.co.uk
From Mountain Summit to River Bank

Brian borrett

« Reply #21 on: 12:22:05, 01/12/15 »
Thanks for the advice .
Its all an adventure so hey ho if we dont finish the walk it will give me something to aim for next year
Thanks again
Brian

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy