Author Topic: waterproof trousers  (Read 3950 times)

walking the dog

waterproof trousers
« on: 20:43:17, 25/11/15 »
Thinking of buying a pair of Paramo nikwax waterproof trousers, they are going for £89.00 at my  local outdoor shop, has anybody got any experience with these,  good or bad comments would be appreciated.
Escape the frantic pace

geordie33

• Veteran Member
Re: waterproof trousers
« Reply #1 on: 21:29:16, 25/11/15 »
Depends on which type.Cascada have never let me down in regards to water ingress.I find them warm for mild weather.Velez are pretty useless in my experience.Light and good enough for showers but fail in any decent rain and are overpriced.If its Cascada at £89 I think thats a very good price and worth considering.

walking the dog

« Reply #2 on: 22:02:44, 25/11/15 »
Yes they are the  Cascada style
Escape the frantic pace

Rhino

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 13:10:12, 26/11/15 »
I Have the Pajero trousers, very waterproof and warm but like all waterproofs i get wet on the inside with condensation in the warmer months but ive found the Trousers work like the jackets and dry out really quickly when wearing them all day and overall a very comfy  :)
Wainwrights Completed 12/12/15

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 19:58:45, 26/11/15 »
Another vote for the Paramo cascadas, I have had mine for at least 5 years and they are still great.  I have the velez ones for the summer though, and have had better experiences with them than others seem to have had, I wear them a lot and they have kept me dry and comfortable for a good three summers, including up the Pennine Way last year.  In fact another pair is on my wish list.

quixoticgeek

« Reply #5 on: 06:24:41, 27/11/15 »
Thinking of buying a pair of Paramo nikwax waterproof trousers, they are going for £89.00 at my  local outdoor shop, has anybody got any experience with these,  good or bad comments would be appreciated.

My only question is, where is selling cascada trousers for £89 quid? I could certainly be interested at that price.

J
--
Http://b.42q.eu/ - Beer, Bikes and Backpacking.

geordie33

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 07:45:37, 27/11/15 »
Another vote for the Paramo cascadas, I have had mine for at least 5 years and they are still great.  I have the velez ones for the summer though, and have had better experiences with them than others seem to have had, I wear them a lot and they have kept me dry and comfortable for a good three summers, including up the Pennine Way last year.  In fact another pair is on my wish list.
[/quote
Sorry to hijack the thread but interested in this.I have had 2 pairs of Velez which can only stand up to showeres (I was stupidly persuaded that I had been unlucky with the first pair).
I was wondering how you waterproof them (if indeed you do) Nicwax?

quixoticgeek

« Reply #7 on: 07:51:22, 27/11/15 »

Sorry to hijack the thread but interested in this.I have had 2 pairs of Velez which can only stand up to showeres (I was stupidly persuaded that I had been unlucky with the first pair).
I was wondering how you waterproof them (if indeed you do) Nicwax?

As they come out the factory they should be proofed. You can test this by splashing water on them, it should form beads on the surface. The party line is to wash with techwash when needed, then every 3 or so washes to also proof them with TX direct. It is possible to over proof with TX direct. Some people use it more frequently, and some use it less.

J
--

geordie33

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 08:08:44, 27/11/15 »
This is pretty much what I have done unfortunately.

quixoticgeek

« Reply #9 on: 08:25:49, 27/11/15 »
This is pretty much what I have done unfortunately.

If you splash water on them does it bead?

J
--

geordie33

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 08:35:41, 27/11/15 »
Yes straight after treatment but they wet out quickly in heavy rain

quixoticgeek

« Reply #11 on: 08:38:17, 27/11/15 »
Yes straight after treatment but they wet out quickly in heavy rain

Ah the Páramo curse of heavy wind blown rain. It works brilliantly, right upto the point when it doesn't...

Not sure what to add. Sorry.

J
--

geordie33

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 08:46:01, 27/11/15 »
Too right.When they give up they do it spectacularly.They do dry fast to be fair ( if the rain stops)

quixoticgeek

« Reply #13 on: 08:50:18, 27/11/15 »
Too right.When they give up they do it spectacularly.They do dry fast to be fair ( if the rain stops)

Even with wetting out, I've found that the level of breath-ability means that I still end up drier with Páramo on than I did with membrane shells. I pair my Páramo with RAB MeCo base layers.

J
--

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 15:37:27, 27/11/15 »
I reproof the Velez trousers with that wash-in nicwax stuff a couple of times a year, after washing them with techwash.   But I don't really wash them in between times, just give them a rinse through, same as my other Paramo stuff. 
I admit that I am not much of a bad weather walker if I can help it.  However, I live in NW Scotland and like doing long distance trails, so my waterproof gear does get tested.  And I do like to keep dry and warm.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy