Author Topic: TR- 22nd November - Grey Friar from Seathwaite  (Read 4208 times)

karl h

• Veteran Member
TR- 22nd November - Grey Friar from Seathwaite
« on: 07:46:58, 27/11/15 »

A bit late with this tr but thought I'd put it on as looking at this weekends weather there will probably be a lack of pictures to look at next week ( unless April does a report on a wild camp from her living room :D

Route. Walna Scar Rd - Seathwaite tarn access track - Seathwaite Tarn - Troutal Fell - Grey Friar - Great Carrs - Levers Hause - Goats Hause - Dow Crag - Buck Pike - Brown Pike - Walna Scar Rd(about 8.5 miles 3000 ft ascent)

A ride up the Duddon valley today taking advantage of a couple of fine days in the recent dreich weather. Me and Sooz214 parked at the small car parking spot at the junction of Walna Scar road and the Seathwaite tarn access track..

Looking over to the small pointed top of The Pike and the larger top of Whitfell.

A few cows were on the access road but we passed without bother.

A wider view from higher up on the track

Before long we reach the tarn. Our route is up the ridge on the left

View back from the outflow.

It's a fairly steep start away from the tarn.

Soon the Scafell range comes into view. The cloud did look as though it was lifting from the highest fells.

Harter Fell was wonderfully clear though.

The view over to the fells around Wasdale.

Coniston Old Man on the left Dow Crag on the right.

Looking along Moasdale to the Great Moss, the cloud is stubbornly clinging to the Scafell's.

Super view over White Maiden / White Pike to the sea.

Dow Crag.

After a fairly stiff climb the top is in sight at last.

Harter Fell again from Grey Friar

The Matterhorn rock on Grey Friar with Grisedale Hause  and the bulk of Fairfield behind.

Pike O' Stickle and High Raise.

Scafell is just about clear now but the pike is still hidden.

The Halifax bomber memorial appears on the skyline as we climb towards Great Carrs.

Little Langdale seen from Great Carrs.

Red Tarn with Pike O' Blisco above to the right.

Seathwaite tarn from above.

Levers Water and Coniston Water from Levers Hause

Goats Water.

The cloud has defeated Scafell Pike today.

Looking down Great Gully ( I think )

Lovely winter evening light now as we walk along the ridge.

Sun set over Black Combe.

The Scafell fells glow in the low sun.

Final view from the car parking spot. Buck Barrow and Kimmont Buck barrow in profile.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: TR- 22nd November - Grey Friar from Seathwaite
« Reply #1 on: 08:20:22, 27/11/15 »
Wonderful photos Karl amazing autumn colours all the way through and the final one is stunning.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 08:46:29, 27/11/15 »
Smashing photos Karl. I saw them on your blog last night  :)

I love the one of the Matterhorn Rock and the cross on the Halifax Bomber memorial appearing on the skyline shot particularly. Superb  O0

"unless April does a report on a wild camp from her living room :D"

Watch this space...   ;D

A "shopping trip" report is more likely for Saturday, we are off to Ambleside to see if we can get the gear we are after from the shops there  :) 

Hate will never win

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 09:07:23, 27/11/15 »
Lovely set of pics Karl. Looked to be a great days walking O0

Tracey :)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 13:08:09, 27/11/15 »
Wonderful photos Karl amazing autumn colours all the way through and the final one is stunning.

Cheers Ridge O0
Smashing photos Karl. I saw them on your blog last night  :)

I love the one of the Matterhorn Rock and the cross on the Halifax Bomber memorial appearing on the skyline shot particularly. Superb  O0

"unless April does a report on a wild camp from her living room :D"

Watch this space...   ;D

A "shopping trip" report is more likely for Saturday, we are off to Ambleside to see if we can get the gear we are after from the shops there  :) 
Thanks April O0
Be careful if you venture into Ambleside..I've heard it's a wild and dangerous place  :o Would you like me to draw you a map :D

Lovely set of pics Karl. Looked to be a great days walking O0
Tracey :)
Thanks Tracey..you're very kind O0

Strider

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 14:19:41, 27/11/15 »
Great TR Karl, thanks  O0   I was on Dow Crag about 2pm, was coming back from the Old Man into Coniston.  Love the 'Matterhorn' pic, I think you've just got the Lion and Lamb in on the left edge?
Not all those who wander are lost

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 16:23:05, 27/11/15 »
Great TR Karl, thanks  O0   I was on Dow Crag about 2pm, was coming back from the Old Man into Coniston.  Love the 'Matterhorn' pic, I think you've just got the Lion and Lamb in on the left edge?

Cheers Colin O0  We were about an hour behind you on Dow Crag.
 I think you're right It does look like the end of Helm crag in my pic

henryb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 18:55:46, 27/11/15 »
Brilliant photos Karl; after Bowfell/Crinkles Crags, the Coniston round would be my favourite walk in the Lakes. Have you climbed the old man of Coniston? If so, do you think that it could be argued that the view from the Swirl How/Great Carrs is better than the old man? For me, brim fell detracts the quality of the view from the old man and Swirl How is actually the better view point. Love the matterhorn picture also. Here is the Mourne mountain version (Northern Ireland):

Rhino

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 20:43:43, 27/11/15 »
Great TR Karl and stunning pictures  O0 I was looking through and thought

Umm Harter Fell lovely shot, got to the great shot of Dow Crag and things are getting better then bang the Matterhorn blows you away  8) what a great shot mate  O0
A fantastic days walking there for you and Sue  :)
Wainwrights Completed 12/12/15

sparnel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 21:42:47, 27/11/15 »
Great trip report.  I don't know the Lake district too well but I'm always amazed at the new names I come across - Matterhorn Rock.....loved it!

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 22:04:49, 27/11/15 »
Brilliant photos Karl; after Bowfell/Crinkles Crags, the Coniston round would be my favourite walk in the Lakes. Have you climbed the old man of Coniston? If so, do you think that it could be argued that the view from the Swirl How/Great Carrs is better than the old man? For me, brim fell detracts the quality of the view from the old man and Swirl How is actually the better view point.
Cheers Henry O0

I think I agree with you  there is a more  extensive view from Swirl how which of course includes the Old man itself

Great TR Karl and stunning pictures  O0 I was looking through and thought

Umm Harter Fell lovely shot, got to the great shot of Dow Crag and things are getting better then bang the Matterhorn blows you away  8) what a great shot mate  O0
A fantastic days walking there for you and Sue  :)

Youre are very kind mate O0  i did cheat a little with that pic of the Matterhorn rock as I already knew that it makes a great shot as I took this picture in December 2010   ( it was a clearer day on Sunday though )

Modern bridge cameras when they get the focus and depth of field right take some amazing pics. Especially when you think that Grisedale Hause is nearly 9 miles away.

Great trip report.  I don't know the Lake district too well but I'm always amazed at the new names I come across - Matterhorn Rock.....loved it!
Cheers mate O0  Glad you enjoyed my pics ;)

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 00:15:04, 28/11/15 »
What a glorious route and brilliantly reported/photographed.
I agree about view points - it's one of those conundrums - is it better to be on the place that is so famous or to be somewhere close by with a stunning view of it !  Personally I think it's the latter.
I find the same applies (for instance) standing on Lingmell: most people would by-pass it's summit to get up onto Scafell. But the often overlooked Lingmell has stunning views all around, possibly the best (arguably) of Gable.
Your photos are all good and it would be wrong to single one out as the best .... but I will ! - the view along Moasdale almost looks like a Heaton Cooper painting  O0    
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

gary m

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 10:14:09, 28/11/15 »
lovely set of photos and a great trip report
you have 1 life live it

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 17:10:46, 28/11/15 »
What a glorious route and brilliantly reported/photographed.
I agree about view points - it's one of those conundrums - is it better to be on the place that is so famous or to be somewhere close by with a stunning view of it !  Personally I think it's the latter.
I find the same applies (for instance) standing on Lingmell: most people would by-pass it's summit to get up onto Scafell. But the often overlooked Lingmell has stunning views all around, possibly the best (arguably) of Gable.
Your photos are all good and it would be wrong to single one out as the best .... but I will ! - the view along Moasdale almost looks like a Heaton Cooper painting  O0    

Thanks IM O0  It was agood route and it ticked a couple of boxes for me. I had never been to Seathwaite tarn and  only ever climbed Grey Friar from the Coniston side

lovely set of photos and a great trip report
Thanks Gary that's very kind O0

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 09:40:22, 29/11/15 »
Looks like a cracking walk, Karl, and the photos are excellent. I especially liked the one of Dow Crag and the black-and-white one of the memorial - and, repeating what others have said, the ones of the Matterhorn rock, which are beautiful.  O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy