Author Topic: Gear that has stood the test of time.  (Read 7886 times)

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
Re: Gear that has stood the test of time.
« Reply #15 on: 21:56:29, 28/11/15 »

Pretty certain the original one didn't have wire in the peak, it flopped about and was quite quickly changed along with a smaller embroidered logo.   ;)
Looking closer, I notice that the one shown doesn't have the little loops at the bottom of the ear flaps that mine does either  :-[
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

Summit

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 22:31:31, 28/11/15 »
Looking closer, I notice that the one shown doesn't have the little loops at the bottom of the ear flaps that mine does either  :-[

The picture is taken from one on sale today. My original from years back had to be replaced. The material has changed over the years and your right it has been updated with a wire loop but even my newer one has the loops at the ears.
BURN FAT NOT OIL

Rajboy

« Reply #17 on: 22:59:26, 28/11/15 »
Me.

Summit

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 13:01:26, 30/11/15 »
Me.

Rajboy I'm afraid I couldn't join you on that one. My body has not stood the test of time and there have been times I would be able to walk longer faster and higher than I currently can.  O0
BURN FAT NOT OIL

Sleepy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 18:32:33, 01/12/15 »
I have a bulldog brand set of pots that I bought second hand a good 15 years ago, sadly a little heavy these days but they've seen a lot of use nonetheless and now reside in my lorry for warm meals when I don't make it home.

The little saucepan had an unfortunate incident involving being left "safely" under my car and me having a blonde moment.....

Fortunately, a car boot sale came to the rescue with an entire set for 50p!

Rajboy

« Reply #20 on: 19:31:53, 01/12/15 »
Oh, sorry to hear that Summit. :-\

Annejacko

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 20:10:44, 01/12/15 »
Trangia Stove with meths burner. Bought in around 1995.

Seems pretty bomb proof.

The design doesn't seem to have changed for years either.

Probably my longest running piece of equipment is an orange plastic survival bag bought from Millets in 1989. Although there are other lighter options it makes a great waterproof mat to sit on for four people to eat their lunch so I still carry it around :)

I did sleep in it once combined with a tarp on a bivvy with the kids Woodcraft folk group. Worst nights sleep I've ever had!!

I love my Lowe Alpine Mountain Cap too but I've only owned it for about 5 years so doesn't really count :)
Enjoy every sandwich

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 13:36:15, 02/12/15 »
All my gear is old and very well used

Find if you buy (aquire) quality it tends to last well, just trying to think what my oldest bit of gear is.

My 45l POD rucksac circa 1996 has been terrific, been all over the world and done a lot of big climbs and the ravages of sac hauling, got reduced it in a sale. Its on its last legs now and I have its replacment for when it bites the dust, its a Lowe Alpine got it from a car boot for a fiver.

Got a montane version of a buffalo jacket and mountain equip salopettes from 1989

My Mountain equip Redline sleeping bag is over 30 years old (1984) and still brill, got that as a part of a sponsorship deal for a Karakoram exped.

Back into the mid seventies I have a pair of Terradactyls axe/hammer, Chouinard ridgid crampons and stoppers, set of rp's, original set of friends 1to4.

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 16:08:29, 02/12/15 »
MWM... I bet you have a pair of Troll Jesters in the back of your wardrobe  ;)

lostme1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 16:24:35, 02/12/15 »
Karrimor Hot Ice rucksack from the 1970's. Not in current use but nothing wrong with it. It is in better condition then some of my more recent purchases that have been used less.

Were things made to last then or is it just my memory that they did.

Rajboy I'm afraid I couldn't join you on that one. My body has not stood the test of time and there have been times I would be able to walk longer faster and higher than I currently can.  O0

Neither has mine.

I tried, but I can't get a new one at the Body Shop  :D
These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

Summit

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 22:05:40, 02/12/15 »

Neither has mine.

I tried, but I can't get a new one at the Body Shop  :D

Quality answer. That made me laugh.
BURN FAT NOT OIL

Summit

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 22:10:07, 02/12/15 »
I don't know if I just recall this brand because they were local to my home. North Cape. They used to manufacture in Stirling. They were quite innovative and made some of the very first products made from pertex. They had pertex smocks very similar to Montane feather lite but made about ten years before.

Unfortunately around the early 2000's the company had a fire at there manufacturing plant in Throsk near Stirling. They never recovered and the name was bought by a Manchester based company. It's a shame such an innovative UK company disappeared.
BURN FAT NOT OIL

Wurz

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 01:02:43, 03/12/15 »
All my gear is old and very well used

Find if you buy (aquire) quality it tends to last well, just trying to think what my oldest bit of gear is.

My 45l POD rucksac circa 1996 has been terrific, been all over the world and done a lot of big climbs and the ravages of sac hauling, got reduced it in a sale. Its on its last legs now and I have its replacment for when it bites the dust, its a Lowe Alpine got it from a car boot for a fiver.

Got a montane version of a buffalo jacket and mountain equip salopettes from 1989

My Mountain equip Redline sleeping bag is over 30 years old (1984) and still brill, got that as a part of a sponsorship deal for a Karakoram exped.

Back into the mid seventies I have a pair of Terradactyls axe/hammer, Chouinard ridgid crampons and stoppers, set of rp's, original set of friends 1to4.

Stood the test of time or just old kit you've got in a cupboard?  You still seriously using the Terradcatyls?

Slipkid

« Reply #28 on: 05:27:14, 03/12/15 »
I don't know if I just recall this brand because they were local to my home. North Cape. They used to manufacture in Stirling. They were quite innovative and made some of the very first products made from pertex. They had pertex smocks very similar to Montane feather lite but made about ten years before.

Unfortunately around the early 2000's the company had a fire at there manufacturing plant in Throsk near Stirling. They never recovered and the name was bought by a Manchester based company. It's a shame such an innovative UK company disappeared.

The north cape has been re launched and these sell the stuff. Doubt it's as good as it used to be but hey ho.
http://www.daleswear.co.uk/?action=shop.search&q=north+cape&search=Search

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 07:59:50, 03/12/15 »
MWM... I bet you have a pair of Troll Jesters in the back of your wardrobe

You know the game Glyno

Stood the test of time or just old kit you've got in a cupboard?  You still seriously using the Terradcatyls?

Most of the stuff gets used from time to time as back up gear and I always take some throw away gear in case of hasty retreat.

Sleeping bag/rucksac have been used every week for decades, montane/buffaalo jackets come out in winter.

I use a pair of grivel ultra lite axe/hammers nowadays but have several other sets and crampons they come in handy. Every winter there are newcomers around they all want to do winter stuff so its handy to have a few spare sets of gear.

I don't mind using the terras as I say all my gear is well used and I have done a lot of classic climbs up to grade V1 (6) with them.

BUT they are a bit heavy to carry up a big hill.

Here is a photo of terra's in use on a walk 4th Feb 2015

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy