Author Topic: [TR] Londons Hidden Walks: Brixton and Brockwell Park 1st December 2015  (Read 2945 times)

adalard

• Veteran Member
What a fascinating TR! You really captured the variety and vibrancy of the area, and I really appreciated the social and cultural history you added to the report., made it really interesting.  O0

I had no idea there was a real Electric Avenue, btw,  even though I've known the song since it was released. Doh!  ::)

cpjmathieson

• Veteran Member
What a fascinating TR! You really captured the variety and vibrancy of the area, and I really appreciated the social and cultural history you added to the report., made it really interesting.  O0

I had no idea there was a real Electric Avenue, btw,  even though I've known the song since it was released. Doh!  ::)

Thanks for the kind words, real eye opener!

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
I took a stall in a Village Fair weekend event in Brockwell Park in the early 1980's, booked up well in advance and then a week before the actual date the riots broke out, they didn't call off the event and not knowing how far Brockwell park was from the actual rioting, we went.

It was a great weekend though I do not remember doing much business, from one place in the park we could look down the street and see all the burnt out cars and buildings, but the atmosphere between all sections of the community was very friendly.

There was one instance when a local gang started to work on a jewelry stand, owned by a young couple, we were in the next stall and having worked antique fairs for some time I recognised the 'modus operandi' and got a few other stalls holders to mark the opposition players. We were all country lads and were not going to take any nonsense from city scruffs.

When they realised that their game was sussed, one kid, all hyped up with attitude, slouched off calling out "Whitey's onto us", Policeman came up to me shortly after and said they had their eye on us but saw how we contained the situation and did not want to move in!!

Thing that stuck in my mind, newspapers at the time made out it was complete breakdown of race relations, but that gang was multi ethnic and the bit of business I did do got me into a very multi cultural situation.

Interesting TR, sparked off flash backs  O0
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
Looks like Brixton has changed a bit since I was last there in the early 70's.  For the better.   ;)

Trenchfoot

• Veteran Member
Fair play to you for sharing your city walks Chris. Although living relatively close by I'm not a big fan of walking London or any inner cities but It's good to read you can feel relatively safe walking in an area that was once to be avoided at all costs.
roll on the weekend

cpjmathieson

• Veteran Member
Fair play to you for sharing your city walks Chris. Although living relatively close by I'm not a big fan of walking London or any inner cities but It's good to read you can feel relatively safe walking in an area that was once to be avoided at all costs.
City walks are easier this time of year away from the mud  :) ........... I know they aren't for everyone.
Hope to get some more Kent Coast Walks in this winter

tomldn

Great post, really captured the diversity of the area - can be really quite green in parts.

Unfortunately it is seeing a lot of gentrification in the area, a lot of the characters of the area are being moved out.

dittzzy

• Veteran Member
I'm amazed at how much you managed to squeeze in to 4 miles.  I think I like the windmill best.  Thanks for posting.  O0 O0

cpjmathieson

• Veteran Member
I'm amazed at how much you managed to squeeze in to 4 miles.  I think I like the windmill best.  Thanks for posting.  O0 O0

Can't recommend the books enough!!!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1902910540?keywords=hidden%20london&qid=1458413160&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy