Author Topic: Places to stay to walk Brecons over New Years  (Read 3925 times)

love2trek

Re: Places to stay to walk Brecons over New Years
« Reply #15 on: 17:14:47, 14/12/15 »
I also found rooms at The Black Lion in Abergavenny.  We can stay there thru until the 2nd. 
If a choice between The Dragon Inn in Crickhowell and The Black Lion in Abergavenny for hiking and pubs, etc., which would you choose?  Which place is likely to be nicer as far as accommodations?
Thanks again for answering my many questions!

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 18:23:49, 02/01/16 »
The Youth Hostel around two miles on from Libanus, as you drive towards the Storrey Arms.
Ive stayed there several times over the years, a lovely atmosphere, and almost the perfect location for the main Beacons summits of Corn Ddu and Pen Y Fan

love2trek

« Reply #17 on: 16:48:01, 15/07/16 »
Hello!  I wanted to let you know that we stayed at the Dragon Inn over New Years and it was AMAZING!  They even provided extra towels and offered to take my stuff home and wash it for me as I was washing it out in the sink.  I know, right?? So nice! ( I was covered with mud from a little slip and slide in the rain.)  They are very hiking friendly. 

Had such a nice time we knew we had to come back in the summer if possible.

Unfortunately they are pretty booked up for this late planner and it looks like we will stay in Cardiff this time. 

We plan on taking a train up and back to hike.   Could you recommend entry points that would be a good starting points for day hikes?   Is it necessary to take a train then catch a bus?

Also, it would be great to meet some other hikers if anyone is so inclined.  We will be there roughly from 1 August - 5 August. 

Thank you very much for taking time to respond.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 18:15:13, 22/07/16 »
It would be more cost effective hiring a small car for a few days.
Train travel, and infrequent buses, would probably make hiring a small car a cheaper alternative, as the cost of trains here in the Uk is never cheap.
Having a car at your disposal, means you are then free to explore all areas of the Brecon Beacons, some areas are not well served by either train or bus.

Louwoo

« Reply #19 on: 01:01:00, 23/07/16 »
National Eisteddfod will be on in Abergavenny during the first week in August. Fantastic event - it means the area will be pretty busy (probably why the accommodation is so busy).
L
Peaks 2017: Pen Y Fan, Corn Du, Cribyn, Tor Y Foel, Blorenge, Skirrid.

alewife

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 13:25:47, 24/07/16 »
Almost irrelevent, but I passed through Crickhowell (twice) this weekend and have also camped there and I absolutely love the place, it looked very pretty and floral this morning and I'm sure you'll love it. O0

Oops didn't see the date on the original thread, but the sentiment remains.
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy