Author Topic: Every winter picture tells a story  (Read 17766 times)

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
Re: Every winter picture tells a story
« Reply #30 on: 10:15:49, 12/01/16 »

Finally the winter conditions are starting to stabilise so I am getting exited.

This photo is one of my favourites, it was posted by one of the regular contributors to my website, I think it catch's the anticipation and elation of the walk into a major winter  venue  perfectly, in this case Lochnagar.

This is the point where you first see your destination, you have been walking for 1.5 hrs, realise conditions are superb, your spirit lift, steps quicken as you know its gonna be a great day.

Rhino

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 10:19:16, 12/01/16 »
I can only dream of such conditions for now, would absolutly love to be approaching something looking like that and cant wait for that day to arrive  O0  Will have to make do with Wales and the Lakes for now  :)
Wainwrights Completed 12/12/15

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 12:16:39, 13/01/16 »
Great photos and good reading  ;D
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 15:49:02, 13/01/16 »
Thanks guys.....

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 15:53:52, 13/01/16 »

Leaving Staithes along the smugglers way

I always try to use the weather to my advantage so when its foul in the hills and flooded on the plains its time to set the controls to the heart of the coast.

I love the coast, there are some fantastic adventurous walks if you use a bit of imagination.

My faves are coastal traverses along the tidal strips, takes you into fantastic places like the photo above of the Smugglers way between Staithes and Runswick bay BUT you have to get the tides right!!!!!!!

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 23:48:08, 15/01/16 »
Hmmm .... a " Floydian slip "
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 09:12:46, 16/01/16 »
Hmmm .... a " Floydian slip "

Over the mountain watching the watcher
« Last Edit: 15:12:55, 16/01/16 by midweekmountain »

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 09:17:11, 16/01/16 »

Looking back at the Summit of Ben Nevis from the CMD

Another day on the Ben in superb winter conditions and todays quality mountain route was Castle Ridge grade III ** one of the big four classic Nevis ridges.  The weather was  generally good but mist had engulfed us as we reached the summit plateau. At this time my mate was doing his Winter ML, the misty conditions were ideal for nav practice so we were counting steps  on a bearing in deep snow some 300 meters away from the tourist route looking for a spot height.

A figure loomed out of the mist towards us, he was wearing trainers, jeans, some sort of combat jacket, no gloves or hat, did not appear to be navigating with map/compass or GPS.

He said which way to Ben Nevis, we pointed to the general direction, he was off without another word.

We found our spot height and set off for the summit ourselves, recent winds had obliterated any helpfull footprints in the snow so we navigated by handrailing the plateau rim to our left. Once we got in front our man fell in behind us, luckily for us there were a couple of other teams at the top.

We thought our man a liability and did not want to get involved with getting him off the hill so we legged it straight past the summit and down to the CMD ridge without stopping.

Later on in the day as we looked back at the north face of the Ben from the CMD ridge a rescue helicopter was buzzin round I could not help wondering if our man had got off the hill safely.....

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 14:08:59, 16/01/16 »

Sergeants Crag from the summit of Eagle Crag

At last the snow has arrived so decide to make the most of it with a 2dayer in Borrowdale. We arrived in a blizzard at night and woke to a blizzard in the morning, I was a distraught not used to this bad weather but within half an hour we left the hut bathed in bright sunshine.

With all this snow it was gonna be hard going so I opt for a short walk up Eagle Crag and Sergeants Crag.

The section between the two peaks was hard work so I opted not to follow the continuing ridge instead dropped directly down a slanting line between Sergeants Crag Slabs and Black Moss Pot Crag to get back to the valley.

Not recommended unless you are familiar with the terrain.

Stopped off at the Scafell Hotel for a pint, back to base, got the fire stoked up. rustled up a pork roast supper with xmas pudding and custard for desert.

Another fantastic day, the guidebook time for the walk was 3hs 40 mins, we shortened the walk and it took us 6 hours, which tells a story.

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 00:56:33, 17/01/16 »
Over the mountain watching the watcher
Great taste. 

........I'll choose the time, and I'll climb the hill in my own way .....

Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 13:01:42, 17/01/16 »

Another shot from my website on the Gearr Aonoch Ridge in Glencoe

One of my fave easy winter days in Glencoe, from the entrance of lower gorge of the Lost Valley a path leads up to the 'Zigzags' on the nose of Gearr Aonach a grade 1 scramble or the direct 'Easy route' at grade 3. In winter they can be a couple of notch's up.

Once cruising on the ridge its gives you access to the classic treasures of Stob Coire nan Lochan.
« Last Edit: 20:40:44, 17/01/16 by midweekmountain »

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: 21:26:54, 21/01/16 »

Skidda from Cat Bells last week

Another pre dawn start from the hut at Grange in Borrowdale, got a song in my head as we climb.

I've heard it said that Neil Young sounds like a cat being smashed into a wall by its tail but on this most perfect of mornings, with clear skies, ice crunching underfoot its the lyrics that seem so poigniant.

Blue, blue windows behind the stars, yellow moon on the rise-wow what a great way to  describe the night sky.

Big birds flying across the sky, throwing shadows on our eyes, leave us helpless, helpless, helpless-scary, can't get it out of my head.

The forecast is spot on, by 9 its clouding over, by ten its drizzling  and we are about finished, Its raining back to the hut when as we have our late breakfast.

Rhino

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 08:59:13, 22/01/16 »
A lovely view Stuart  :)
Wainwrights Completed 12/12/15

grinderman

« Reply #43 on: 19:31:29, 22/01/16 »
Lake district hills in the snow and Neil Young - perfect

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: 09:36:41, 23/01/16 »
A lovely view Stuart

Thanks Dave

Lake district hills in the snow and Neil Young - perfect

Yes, its takes a bit of an effort getting up to see a sunrise from a summit but its worthwhile when you look at the results.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy