Author Topic: Every walking picture tells a story  (Read 28679 times)

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
Re: Every walking picture tells a story
« Reply #30 on: 14:29:11, 08/02/16 »
Is it still technically a trespass or have the owners accepted the clear indications that exploration is rife.

The recent guidebook states that there are public rights of way to most ares of the quarries BUT climbing is not officially sanctioned by the landowners.

There is a note warning folks off the lower areas around the power station area.

PS Nice to see you guys adding your own photo;s/stories to this thread  ;D

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 08:07:28, 09/02/16 »

The Causeway Coast, Northern Island

In Britain we are truly spoilt by having an amazing coastline, I have always loved walking by the sea for several reasons. The amazing views, fantastic wildlife and the fact that its a great alternative when the weather stops you going out into the mountains.

Todays walk was truly amazing, we started from the outskirts of Bushmills in Northern Ireland down to the awesome Giants Causeway onto Benbane Head and following the coast along to White Park Bay.

I was totally gobsmacked by the views on this coast, I would recommend this area to anyone who gets the opportunity to visit the Causeway Coast.

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 10:11:11, 11/02/16 »
Last summer I was unable to book a summer holiday till the last minute for family reasons and after a couple of abortive attempts on-line found a suitable booking in Galloway, which turned out to be 'ab fab'.
By coincidence 'Strider' had posted a picture of the Grey Man of Merrick on this forum a week or so before and it got me thinking that I might incorporate it with a walk on the Merrick as part of our programme for the week.

Some research on line gave me the the grid but not the actual approach. This was because most of the searches that came up were geo-cache and they do not seem to allow an approach by dead reckoning. This did not affect me, as I do not like specific walk guides and a study of the map gave me a pretty good idea of an approach.

The weather forecast was not too good for the week and it looked as if  there would be a brief window of opportunity for a high level walk. Being on the coast gave us plenty of opportunity to do a variety of walks, whilst bad weather brewed on in the mountains but our opportunity to climb the Merrick came after 4 days, bang on the nose of the long range forecast. We got a full days superb weather and i was able to to do the most physically gruelling walk since having my stent fitted.

We found the Grey Man, it was not as simple as one might suppose, no paths leading to it but an interpretation of the terrain can logically provide a true route of approach.

So thanks to this forum, research on-line and interesting research we had a superb walk, with a surprise destination, a German couple, who overtook us on the way up, told us it was disappointing on the top, but they could not have done their research because they got the wrong top. Any guide book I was able to find would not have taken us to the Grey Man nor have given us the thrill of exploration in finding him ourselves.

BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 11:31:15, 13/02/16 »
Great stuff, love the Range of the awfull hand, a magic place steeped in history you can just imagine Robert the Bruce holing up in a place like this.

Can't understand the lemmings flocking to the grid locked lakes in August or Bank Holidays  when just up the road they could come here and get peace and quiet.

Have seen a few folks up on Merrick but have never met anyone on any of the other Galloway hills.

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 14:03:27, 13/02/16 »

In the narrows of Torrente de Pareis

In Majorca the temps were 40 plus so the early start was obligatory, folks were coming in from a heavy night as we dash from the air cond in the apartment to the air cond in the car.

Unlike mainland Spain, Majorca is not renouned for its gorges but it does have one cracker the descent of Torrente de Pareis. The scenery is wild and spectacular travelling thro a narrow gorge between vertical limestone cliffs 300-400m high. Eventually you emerge at a lovely bay notched in between two steep headlands.

This area is very popular and the only place I know on the island that you cannot avoid parking charges so the knack is to park at the top for free walk down the gorge then catch the service bus back up the famous La Colobra road that is so steep at one point it does a loop d'loop.

It starts with a descent into a steep gully then you turn a corner into the narrows where there are a couple on scrambly descents. All to soon you reach the notched beach and the end of the walk is nigh.

Most folks we met on this walk were Germans, am not complaining because everyone was  pleasant and we got to know one group quite well but it does seem very strange that there are hordes of Brits in the resorts but none in this most spectacular of walking areas.

Had a couple of hours to kill before the service bus departed so we had a swim in the gorgeous bay with our new German friends

The best is saved till last here is the 30 metre notch leading to the beach.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 15:53:17, 13/02/16 »
And now for something completely different  :)

You may wonder why I've put a picture of the Elizabeth Tower on a walking forum?  Well, that's because on the 11th February I walked up the 334 stone spiral steps of the Elizabeth Tower to hear and see Big Ben strike 3pm  :D

It's loud  :o 

A fantastic and fascinating, informative experience  8)

Rhino

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 18:14:19, 13/02/16 »
Nice one Mel ;D
Wainwrights Completed 12/12/15

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 19:10:48, 13/02/16 »
Nice one Mel, good reason for posting a great photo. I wish I had a photo to post for a similar climb of The Monument, but I didn't have my camera with me. I wish I had that day as I approached Monument, I stumble on photographer with a barrow full of kit, photographing a very statuesque young lady in some ruins, she was totally in the buff though, I doubt that situation lasted long enough for me to have un-holstered a camera.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 17:53:48, 14/02/16 »
Variety is the name of the walking game for me!!!!

Nice one Mel, Variety is the name of the game for this thread, I also like my city walks and will post some more in the near future.

Cnicht

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 18:31:30, 14/02/16 »
I used to work on the 19th floor of the LWT building over on the Southbank,  had to walk DOWN all 19 on fire check day, the lifts were closed  :o

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 23:37:51, 14/02/16 »
I used to work on the 19th floor of the LWT building over on the Southbank,  had to walk DOWN all 19 on fire check day, the lifts were closed  :o
Good walking practice though. I once read that Mick Fowler (Himalayan/Alpine mountaineer) climbed the stairs where he worked at lunchtime countless times, simply to get some additional training in.
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: 08:13:31, 15/02/16 »
Good walking practice though. I once read that Mick Fowler (Himalayan/Alpine mountaineer) climbed the stairs where he worked at lunchtime countless times, simply to get some additional training in.

Yes one of my mates trained up for Everest in a tower block......

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 08:30:42, 15/02/16 »

Reflections of Buttermere

After a hard summer days walking or climbing I like nothing better than an early tea then  go for a stroll at sunset.
Today we were staying at the FRCC Birkness hut, its actually the old coach house of the Hassness Country House the hotel that HF & Ramblers holidays use as their base in the Lakes.

Excerpt from the Ramblers website.

'Hassness Country House is beautifully located in its own extensive grounds alongside the waters of Buttermere. Located just over a mile from Buttermere village on the eastern shore of the lake, Sheep graze the grounds and red squirrels scurrying around just outside the door. This is one of the remotest parts of the Lake District, has been recognised as offering some of Britain's best views and is a perfect starting point for some truly remarkable days in the hills.'

Anyhow down the lake at sunset its crowded with rambler folk having their after dinner constitutional. They quiz us about where we are staying and seem a bit put out when we tell them.

On woman went ballistic,  its costing us £450.00 per week and your staying here for 6 quid a night.......

Cnicht

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 10:31:59, 15/02/16 »

Reflections of Buttermere

After a hard summer days walking or climbing I like nothing better than an early tea then  go for a stroll at sunset.
Today we were staying at the FRCC Birkness hut, its actually the old coach house of the Hassness Country House the hotel that HF & Ramblers holidays use as their base in the Lakes.

Excerpt from the Ramblers website.

'Hassness Country House is beautifully located in its own extensive grounds alongside the waters of Buttermere. Located just over a mile from Buttermere village on the eastern shore of the lake, Sheep graze the grounds and red squirrels scurrying around just outside the door. This is one of the remotest parts of the Lake District, has been recognised as offering some of Britain's best views and is a perfect starting point for some truly remarkable days in the hills.'

Anyhow down the lake at sunset its crowded with rambler folk having their after dinner constitutional. They quiz us about where we are staying and seem a bit put out when we tell them.

On woman went ballistic,  its costing us £450.00 per week and your staying here for 6 quid a night.......

Really really a gorgeous photo 😍

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: 20:20:14, 15/02/16 »

More reflections of Buttermere, same night

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy