Author Topic: TR Dodd Wood and St Bega's Church Mon 8 Feb 16  (Read 2417 times)

April

• Veteran Member
TR Dodd Wood and St Bega's Church Mon 8 Feb 16
« on: 19:46:03, 09/02/16 »
I’ve been using up some annual leave and took two days off this week. I think I’ve taken the wrong days off because the weather looks great tomorrow when I’m back at work  :(

On Monday another day of wind and rain was forecast. I got off the bus at Sandbeds Gill Quarry Car Park to walk in the woods around Dodd where I hoped I’d get some shelter from the weather.

My route was Sandbeds Gill Quarry - Rabbit Warren (on yellow waymarked route) - Sandbeds Gill - Dry Scale Gill - Longside Wood - Gable Gill - Long Doors - forest roads above Ivy Crag and Brock Crag - Old Sawmill Tearoom - St Bega’s Church - Old Sawmill Tearoom. 9.24km/5.75 miles with 484m/1588ft of ascent. 2 hours 40 minutes walking time.

On the yellow marked route in Dodd Wood. It is Sandbeds Gill according to Ordnance Survey and Alfred Wainwright. The sign makers have missed the ‘s’

Misty Barf from the path

It was raining on and off but just light rain and the wind wasn’t that strong.

The path takes a sharp right

Footbridge over Sandbeds Gill

I left the yellow marked route here to ascend to a stile

This stile

The path climbs next to the fence on the slopes of Ullock Pike to another stile

This one. It was an awkward crossing, no elegance involved  ;D

The stile leads onto the forest road through Longside Wood

Which takes you to Long Doors

A misty Dodd

I’d originally planned to go up onto Dodd summit for the view.

The view from Long Doors

Even more mist covering Dodd now

It seemed pointless going onto Dodd summit so I headed down to the Old Sawmill Tearooms on the forest roads.

The clag lifted and there was a view toward Derwent Water

The view toward the North Western Fells

I found a place to have lunch so I could look at the views now that the clag had lifted. It didn’t last long. After five minutes the clag descended again and it started raining more heavily.

With not going up onto Dodd I was 40 minutes too early for the bus at the Old Sawmill so I walked passed Mirehouse on the public footpath to visit St Bega’s Church.

St Bega’s Church

I returned on the same footpath back to the Old Sawmill to catch the bus

Mist over Dodd with Mirehouse below

The heavens opened when I got to the Old Sawmill and it really tipped it down. I was rather wet getting on the bus  ;D

Despite the heavy rain at the end I had really enjoyed the walk. The brief views of Derwent Water and the NW fells were unexpected, a lovely surprise and I always enjoy the forest roads and the network of paths here at Dodd Wood and in Whinlatter Forest  :)
Hate will never win

Rhino

• Veteran Member
Re: TR Dodd Wood and St Bega's Church Mon 8 Feb 16
« Reply #1 on: 20:23:11, 09/02/16 »
Some lovely woodland walks by the looks of it and a bit claggy but still better out than sat in the office  O0
Wainwrights Completed 12/12/15

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:47:43, 09/02/16 »

Nice pictures.Atmospheric I think is the best way to descried some of those shots.

I did wonder if you were off work when you were posting in the middle of the morning today.

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:15:18, 09/02/16 »
nice pics and write up Ape ...  O0
i guess you did it in stile ...  :D

I found a place to have lunch so I could look at the views now that the clag had lifted. It didn’t last long. After five minutes the clag descended again and it started raining more heavily.

i missed all this excitement, ah well there will probably be more this weekend ,,,  :(

Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 22:15:34, 09/02/16 »
Another nice little bimble April O0
St. Bega's really is in a lovely spot ;)

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 11:22:40, 10/02/16 »
I did Sandbed ghyll a few years ago, just checked the scrambles guide it says ' Grade 3S*** scramble to penetrate the recese of this ravine is a unique experience, The feeling is one of commitment as there are few opportunities for escape and the crucial obstacle is at the end.

Good effort April I thought is was as hard as any scramble I have done in the Lakes to date.

henryb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:02:35, 10/02/16 »
Great report and photos April. I climbed Dodd from the tea room two years ago and I really like the view of the NW fells from there. Can I ask if it is possible to walk from the tea room to Keswick through the forest without climbing Dodd? I'm trying to come up with a lower level walk in case Skiddaw is clagged in when I arrive in June ;D

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 19:31:37, 10/02/16 »
a bit claggy but still better out than sat in the office  O0

Correct   ;D

I did wonder if you were off work when you were posting in the middle of the morning today.

Indeed. I would never be on the internet when I was at work  ;)

i guess you did it in stile ...  :D

I am pleased you weren't there filming me getting over the awkward stile  ;D

St. Bega's really is in a lovely spot ;)

It is a remarkable place to have a church  :)

Good effort April I thought is was as hard as any scramble I have done in the Lakes to date.

:o The closest I got to the gill was going over the footbridge  ;D I didn't actually do the scramble route, in case anyone thinks I did  ;D

I'm trying to come up with a lower level walk in case Skiddaw is clagged in when I arrive in June ;D

;D I would get the lower level walk ready. Henry you can walk to Keswick but it does involve some road walking. There are a few routes you can take. The lowest level one goes by the lower osprey view point on the forest roads and joins the A591 near White Stones, turn left on the Applethwaite road and at Millbeck use the public footpaths to Thrushwood and then onto Keswick. The higher level route ascends on the forest roads above Brock Crag and Ivy Crag taking the left fork at Ivy Crag into Lyzzick wood to join the public footpath down to Millbeck.
Hate will never win

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 11:16:44, 12/02/16 »
Not windy then? Gedditt? ;D
I like foresty type walks like that, can't get enough of them. Trees rule! O0
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 13:07:00, 12/02/16 »
Not windy then? Gedditt? ;D
I like foresty type walks like that, can't get enough of them. Trees rule! O0

No Beefy = No wind  :D

Trees rule especially if they are Magic Trees  :)
Hate will never win

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy