Author Topic: TR Blencathra via Halls Fell Ridge Tuesday 29th March 2016  (Read 4148 times)

Rhino

• Veteran Member

Our route was direct up the ridge and on to the summit before heading back down Blease Fell and back to Threlkheld. At the start up the ridge you are straight in to a steep ascent until you reach the start of the scrambling where it eases a bit before the final pull up to the summit. 
A little waterfall on Gate Gill

The start of Halls Fell Ridge

Top part of the ridge and summit in the clag

Continuation of the ridge and path leading up to the start of the scramble

False start of the scramble

A bit more grass before the scramble

I kept to the rock sections picking out the hardest parts and although only small sections of rock with little exposure it was good safe scrambling practice.

There was a little clag over the summit which kept blowing in and out so I decided to practice my down climbing on couple of the more difficult rock sections. Handsome was crying as he does when he is stood around waiting for me and had no concept of what I was doing, he was stood on the top of the sections looking down at me and had the odd attempt of a climb down himself before I told him to stay.

Handsome Jack posing for a picture

A bit better rock to scramble over

Looking back along the ridge with Clough Head in the distance, you can see the path on the left of the picture avoiding the rocky ridge

Finally something worth having a go at

Come on Rhino stop climbing up and down that rock

About the best section on the ridge at this point

There is a good path all the way, steep in parts and looking at it might need the odd hand on rock here and there but it avoids the little and worse of the scramble on the ridge.

Looking down the slabs of rock

The little gully Jack managed to get up

Victory Pose

Looking back along the ridge

Keeping to the top of the ridge squeezing out every bit of scramble I could

All too soon I was climbing out and on to the top of Blencathra at the summit circle.
I knew the weather was to turn but I thought what the hell ill go and bag the boring and pointless Mungrisdale Common for Jacks Wainwrights while I am here. I said to myself the first time I bagged it I wasn’t coming back but then realized Jack needed it so I couldn’t deprive him of completing his round and It meant I wouldn’t have to do it again. How wrong was I and little did I know at the time I would be stood on it again less than a week later for Karls birthday when he invited me out for a round of Bowscale to Souther Fell.

Another Wainwright for Handsome Jack Blencathra summit circle

Looking back down the ridge waving to Mrs R somewhere in one of those white caravans at the end

Looking along the ridge to Knowe Crags with Skiddaw behind in the clag

Looking towards Mungrisdale Common with Great Calva left and Knott Right

Looking towards Atkinson Pike and Sharp Edge exit

A clearer view of the ridge over Blease Fell

Heading over towards Atkinson Pike I picked up the path off the back of Foule Crag turning left that would take me over the boggy squelchy ground to Mungrisedale Common and said to myself the last time and never again. Eventually arriving I got a snap of HJ on the summit and headed back. Setting off back towards Foule Crag and Atkinson Pike i was thinking to myself what a mundane little boring place Mungrisdale Common is and was pleased I wouldn’t be there again.

View from Foule Crag of Bowscale Fell

I think Jack likes that water on Mungrisedale Common as he was drinking it a few days later on Karl’s walk as well.

Handsome Jack on Mungrisedale Common with Little Man, Skiddaw and Bakestall in the background

And back again

Just before the start of the climb back up to the Pike it started snowing as forecast. The weather got worse and the clag descended and I couldn’t see much down sharp edge so I moved on back to Blencathra summit before descending down the ridge along Blease Fell.

Nothing much to see on Sharp Edge

Blencathra Summit twice in one hour

Handsome Jack in the snow

Along the ridge the clag and snow lifted a little and I got some pictures and views down to Keswick and Threlkheld and the drop off the crags was very steep. I had arranged to meet Mrs R for some lunch and a few beers at the Salutation.

Looking down Middle Tongue

Partially exposed Halls Fell ridge and Clough Head lit up

Looking towards Keswick and Derwent Water

Blease Gill

Arriving at the pub in the rain I was glad of the warm open fire to dry my gear and of the wonderful pub lunch to fill me up and not to mention the lovely beer I washed it all down with.

The sunny spells did arrive mid afternoon and by tea time the sun was out.

One of the sunny spells on the walk back

Tea Time and typically what happens in the Lakes the weather gets better

Wainwrights Completed 12/12/15

ljmeerkat75

• Veteran Member
Great TR and photos loved the comment squeezing every last scrambling bit you could and poor Jack having to wait for you he didn't look pleased but it looked like a good day for you both

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
Glad Handsome Jack had a good day out!   :)

domtheone

• Veteran Member
Excellent Dave O0

Jack did pretty well to get up that gully.

Gotta say, it's amazing how ones impression of things change over the years.

A few years back, i saw lots of pics of the ascent up the fell and thought, looks pretty scary ;D . Given the kind of stuff we've been doing over the past year or so, it now looks, dare i say it.  A bit tame :o  . As evidenced by your efforts to eek out every little bit of scrambling there was on the ridge :)

Nevertheless, still can't wait to do this.  Just a great way up a great mountain.  O0 O0

Edit:  ;D ;D  at that last pic.  Bloody typical eh ::)
If they don't like you going out, they'll love you coming in!

*Money back guarantee does not cover for **** weather!

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Lovely report, typical bloody Lakes weather though you mess about in clag all day and then as soon as you get down it is sunny  >:(

karl h

• Veteran Member
Great Tr as per usual Dave O0
Love the Hall's Fell ridge, as you say you can make it as easy or as difficult as you wish
Jack doesn't half look cold on a few of those pics ;D

Strider

• Veteran Member
Another excellent TR O0     
Not all those who wander are lost

Rhino

• Veteran Member
Thanks everyone it was a very nice route onto the top. Not as entertaining as sharp edge but great to summit straight on the summit.

Know what you mean Dom, don't lose focus and awareness of where and what your doing but a lot happier to have a go at things you would have bypassed at one point.

gable man

Cracking TR Dave superb photos     :D :D

Rhino

• Veteran Member
Cheers Chris mate, one for a future date

gable man

Excellent Dave O0Glad Handsome Jack had a good day out!

pleb

• Veteran Member
Crikey, that's not walking, its mountaineering! :o
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

- Dave -

• Veteran Member
Just done Hall's Fell; what a great morning / afternoon it is as well!
I'm on the internet!

Check out my blog here:

http://allthegearbutnoidea.blogspot.co.uk

214/214 Wainwrights

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy