Author Topic: Haystacks & Fleetwith Pike  (Read 2284 times)

RobotMike

Haystacks & Fleetwith Pike
« on: 14:33:04, 28/04/16 »
I'm planning a family trip to the Lakes soon and am considering a walk up Fleetwith Pike and then on to Haystacks and then back down Scarth Gap to Gatesgarth.

Could I ask if this is the best way round to do this walk? I've read that coming down off Fleetwith Pike is vertiginous and it's much better to go up that way.

Also, is this loop easily manageable by children (aged 12 and 10)?

Any advice welcome.

Many thanks
« Last Edit: 14:46:58, 28/04/16 by RobotMike »

karl h

• Veteran Member
Re: Haystacks & Fleetwith Pike
« Reply #1 on: 15:08:23, 28/04/16 »
I would think that the way you describe is the best way, as you say the front of Fleetwith is quite tricky to descend but it's just a steep climb going up. Care should be taken coming down from Haystacks though as there are a couple of tricky sections but nothing too hairy. I would have thought an active child of those ages should have no trouble ( it's a lovely round but it is only about 5 miles )
HTH ;)

RobotMike

« Reply #2 on: 15:37:54, 28/04/16 »
Thanks Karl

That's really helpful.

"Tricky" and "hairy" worry me a bit...

Are there any other child-friendly looped routes you would recommend? Say 5-7 miles or so.
They've walked in the Alps before, but not the Lakes yet...

Catbells seemed a bit short.
Helm Crag from Grasmere was recommended.
Was thinking Styhead possibly.

Thanks
« Last Edit: 15:54:15, 28/04/16 by RobotMike »

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:29:49, 28/04/16 »

Are there any other child-friendly looped routes you would recommend? Say 5-7 miles or so.
They've walked in the Alps before, but not the Lakes yet...

Catbells seemed a bit short.
Helm Crag from Grasmere was recommended.
Was thinking Styhead possibly.

Thanks

The Greenburn round ( up Steel Feel around past a couple of nice tarns then back along the Helm Crag ridge ) is an easy walk, my kids did it with no trouble and as a bonus you've got the challenge of climbing the Howitzer on Helm Crag if you dare ;D

The two tarn walk ( up to Styhead tarn from Stockley Bridge then climb again to the lovely Sprinkling tarn and down by the Grains Ghyll path ) is another that my kids loved, although it might be a bit early in the year for a dip ;)

One of our favourite rounds is Lingmoor Fell from Elterwater, easy route finding ( just follow the wall ) fantastic views, and the squeeze through fat mans agony always is good for a laugh. It works out around 8 miles but the last three are back along the flat valley ( a couple of pubs on route as well if you need refreshment   ;) )
Here's a tr from when me and my friend Sue did it

http://www.karlswalks.co.uk/2012/lingmoor-04-11-12.html
« Last Edit: 19:33:33, 28/04/16 by karl h »

henryb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 22:21:29, 28/04/16 »
RobotMike - an alternative ascent of Fleetwith Pike would be the path in between Haystacks and Fleetwith Pike. Near the top, turn left for the summit and cut back for Haystacks. Alternatively - get the 77 honister rambler to the Slate Mine and walk to Fleetwith Pike from there. I've done that and it presents no difficulty at all getting to the summit.
Cat Bells is short but could be extended to include Castle Crag/Maiden Moor/Kings How/Walla crag.
Beside Helm crag is tarn crag; arguably the best Grasmere round would be Silver How and Loughrigg fell :) , hope this helps, Henry

RobotMike

« Reply #5 on: 22:27:30, 28/04/16 »
Thanks Karl and Henry

Having just discovered that there is a road closure between Grasmere and Keswick we've decided to give Buttermere a miss this time.

So Lingmoor Fell from Elterwater or Helm Crag it is.

Thanks ever so much for your advice!

RM   :D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy