Author Topic: Photo critique  (Read 2136 times)

Glyno

• Veteran Member
Photo critique
« on: 18:01:13, 28/04/16 »
Following on from the Black & White photo thread (started by PAG1952), I remembered that a little while ago (as soon as it became FREE) I had installed an application called Silver Efex which is for processing photos to black and white and can produce some very nice results. Today I had a play and have come up with the following images. I'd be really, really grateful if people could give me some feedback/opinion on what they think. I won't be in the slightest bit offended if you think it's awful, please tell me! All I ask is for some honest, no-holds-barred opinions.
Anyway, here goes, and thanks in advance!

The Gables

Langstrath

Whiteless Pike

Again, thanks very much!

botty

• Veteran Member
Re: Photo critique
« Reply #1 on: 18:08:19, 28/04/16 »
For those that don't know, Google have released the full set of Nik Software for FREE https://www.google.com/nikcollection/

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 18:21:25, 28/04/16 »
For those that don't know, Google have released the full set of Nik Software for FREE https://www.google.com/nikcollection/

indeed  :)

ljmeerkat75

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 18:28:36, 28/04/16 »
They look Victorian Glyn love the effect

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 18:31:48, 28/04/16 »
Thanks Luke

...the more I look at them, the more I think they'd make good place mats!

alewife

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 18:32:12, 28/04/16 »
Generally I prefer colour images though have seen occasional black and whites that are stunning. Your pics remind me of pages from an old book, and not sure the 'frame'effect helps though I do like the bottom one with the shrub in the forground fading at the edges and the peak in the middle as the main event. O0

I think b&w (sepia?) suits certain mood pictures but can be a bit cliche.
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 18:40:42, 28/04/16 »
Although I prefer colour for landscape photos, I do like the 'old' look of these.  I especially like the first one.

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 19:12:40, 28/04/16 »
Those are excellent, your composition is always v.good, so it adds to those pictures so the could have come out of something like the Frith collection.

B&W can be very much more useful than anyone has mentioned here or on the other topics. That is in slide shows and part of transitions or for title pages. Whilst on the LAF I had to sit through endless presentations by well meaning enthusiasts and local Gov. functionaries that were really incredibly badly put together, with the skills shown here and the available material the "professionals" should really be saying 'let's look and learn'.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

PAG1952

« Reply #8 on: 19:26:44, 28/04/16 »
As you may have gathered I've developed quite a liking for black & white landscape photos; in many circumstances I think a good B & W can convey a lot of emotion that is not always there in colour images.
Personally I like the fading effect towards the edges as it draws my attention into the scene.
The first picture seems to work really well, but to me the sky in third picture seems a little bit too washed out and unbalances the scene.
Please bear in mind that these comments are based on my VAAAAAST experience of B & W photography (of something less than a week ;D ).
The sun is always shining.......... it's just that on most days the clouds stop us from seeing it.

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 19:44:46, 28/04/16 »
Thanks very much for the comments and opinions, be assured I'm taking it all in!

PAG, I've been somewhat obsessed by B&W for a few months now, so much so that I tend to see landscapes in mono (if that makes sense?)!
Most of my uploads (to this site and Flickr) are in colour but I've amassed quite a catalogue of b&w photos as well as photos hanging on walls at home.
There some quite good websites dedicated to b&w photography too.

GazzerG

« Reply #10 on: 20:25:26, 28/04/16 »

Just downloaded myself, thanks for the link Botty  O0

...the more I look at them, the more I think they'd make good place mats!
Exactly what I first thought........ then I noticed your comment  :)

All great pics by the way. I would maybe pull the vignette back a little on the  on the bottom picture. Is that #36 filter?

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 20:29:26, 28/04/16 »

All great pics by the way. I would maybe pull the vignette back a little on the  on the bottom picture. Is that #36 filter?

Thanks Gazzer! Not a filter, they're from a Silver Efex preset.

GazzerG

« Reply #12 on: 21:57:45, 28/04/16 »

Thanks Gazzer! Not a filter, they're from a Silver Efex preset.

Sorry, that's what I meant  ::)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy