Author Topic: Pasta  (Read 3442 times)

silverfox

Pasta
« on: 11:18:45, 29/04/16 »
Hi all.

I'm starting a 2 week hike along the swcp and I'm looking at cooking own food. Pasta is a must and I'm just wondering what other use for a sauce. I'm trying to keep weight down so don't want to take wet food.

Your views would be very much appreciated.

John.

cakehead

Re: Pasta
« Reply #1 on: 11:27:22, 29/04/16 »
Powdered sauce sachets may be useful get them at most supermarkets  O0
Better to have lived 1 day as a Tiger than a thousand years as a sheep!

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 11:35:23, 29/04/16 »
Why not spend a few hours on the internet,looking for suitable eating establishments along your route.
You can then budget carefully, so that you can eat well during the day.

Carrying your own rations is fine, but what on the off chance, the contents of your sac gets wet.

Ive experienced certain weather over my travels, especially in the Brecon Beacons in the early 1980s, that turned my precious food store into a soggy mess.

No matter how well insulated you make your ruc sac, from the elements, condensation and occasional accidents do occur.

Plan your adventure around regular daily food sources, and then you can ensure you remain full of energy.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 11:50:00, 29/04/16 »
Last time I was down that way I didn't think Devon and Cornwall were that remote, they did have lots of shops. I don't see why you'd need to carry more than food for the next day. I'd just use the wet sachets of sauce, much better than the powdered ones. 

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 12:00:53, 29/04/16 »
Why not spend a few hours on the internet,looking for suitable eating establishments along your route.
You can then budget carefully, so that you can eat well during the day.

I agree.In the past I used Raven freeze dried meals but after several years decided it was better to purchase meals from establishments as the quality was far better.To be honest after walking 20-25 miles I want something a bit better than dried pasta with chemical sauce from a supermarket.

silverfox

« Reply #5 on: 13:58:12, 29/04/16 »
Thanks for your advise however I'd rather still to my plan of cooking my own food. Understand it's not everyones cup of tea but it's something I'm used to doing. Just wanted people's ideas

alewife

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 14:19:09, 29/04/16 »
I've used packet soups to make a sort of risotto, but don't see why you couldn't use it with pasta, just add it dry with the pasta before cooking, or cook pasta first then remove most of the water before adding soup powder if you don't want too much liquid.

There was a discussion on here recently about vesta meals available in some supermarkets which I wouldn't eat (having tried one) but you might love it.

A quick search on google showed quite a number of options.

Bon appetit!
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 15:21:51, 29/04/16 »
Last time I was down that way I didn't think Devon and Cornwall were that remote,

They're not :) You should be able to stock up daily as you go along - we did most of the SWCP wild camping and living on pasties for supper bought along the way and other goodies as opportunities arose. They survive well in a rucksack especially on a warm day (remember those).
One evening, opening the 2 bags we found 2 pasties and 2 iced doughnuts - I wonder who opened their bag, full of anticipation of a naughty doughnut with their coffee to find ...pasties :o
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 19:37:57, 29/04/16 »
Asda do some cheap packets of pasta'n'sauce. Ok, not exactly a five star meal but some of them just require water, not milk. I usually take a couple of Carbonara ones with me when I go away.
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

madame cholet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 22:06:32, 29/04/16 »
Can I suggest you buy a dehydrator and make your own sauces and dried vegetables very chaep about £40.00 I make my own tom and garlic sauce and dry it into a fruit leather then add dried veg and herbs or spices withe pasta or bulgar which is excellent too. Just add boiling water and they rehydrate as they cook.
Great things are done when women and mountains meet.

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 09:13:26, 01/05/16 »
Packets of dried soup made up with less water to make a sauce. Pasta is a bit of a faff on a camp stove, waiting for water to heat, boiling for ten minutes. Try couscous. It's a lot quicker, needs less water and once it has reached boiling point remove from the heat and add couscous. A few minutes and it's done.
Ilona

route2rock

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 18:36:27, 02/05/16 »
If you fancy rice one night, try the uncle bens microwave/hob packs.

They cook on the hob in a few minutes using very small amounts of water. They come in a range of flavours too.

Although they are a bit heavier, I love the ease of them.
Find out what I've been up to @ http://www.instagram.com/route2rock :)

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 09:29:47, 03/05/16 »
A couple of days ago I attempted an Anchovy Sauce for the first time, now I do not suggest you take all the ingredients I used but seeing this topic with the research 'on line' fresh in mind does suggest some options.

Tinned Fish in oil, is a concentrated form of both energy and protein, which coincidentally follows the cuisine of pasta, the oil is already flavoured and may have extra such as sardines in tomato sauce. As you are following the SWCP which not altogether wilderness, the natural recipes of pasta with fresh veg and herbs included may well be foraged along the way (talking about shops not gardens!).The oil in the tin is sufficient to create an appetizing mix of a pasta salad.

Also it has been said here that boiling pasta takes 10mins cooking time, I forget the name of the method, but allowing the hot water to soften the pasta after a min or 2 of boiling is a recognised way of preparing pasta without overcooking as is also similar to cooking rice. A carbonara sauce is really egg mixed into the pasta and the heat of the pasta cooking the egg, it has other ingredients but the basic nutrition/protein is the egg, a block of hard cheese shaved with a pen knife as your are travelling light will add flavour and food value.

The shape of pasta are also worth thinking about, tubes and cup shapes are compatible with thinner liquids, fusili I think is good for allowing sauces to coat it giving a good mix for digestion.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 14:03:32, 03/05/16 »

Tinned Fish in oil, is a concentrated form of both energy and protein,

I often take tuna in sachets, rather tinned. Sachets are lighter, and easier to deal with afterwards than an open, oily tin. They come with added flavourings, lime & lack pepper/tomato etc, and one sachet is about one portion.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy