Author Topic: TR - Cadair Ridge - the western end  (Read 2471 times)

Justwandering

TR - Cadair Ridge - the western end
« on: 17:13:06, 02/05/16 »
Hi everyone, here goes my first trip report, and my first full outing this year.

I've been thinking about a long distance back packing route from Llangollen down to the cost near Tywyn, linking up my three favourite areas: The Berwyns, Arans and the Cadair ridge. I know the routes up to the peaks well, but I've seldom walked between them. So my day walks for this year are going to do just that. The first: a look at the western end of the Cadair ridge.

I started by trudging up the pony path to the main ridge. But once there, I turned west towards the coast, instead of heading east for the main summits. For a while on the way up, it looked gloomy, but it brightened up quickly.

The path along the ridge is an easy walk, mostly flat, and the few boggy sections are easily skirted. The views are huge: the ridge to the east, the southern Rhinogs to the north and the Mawddach estuary below.

Further on, the views open out to the south, over the rolling Tarrens, and to the west, over the Dyffryn Dysynni.

Finally, the view along the cost.

As the ridge subsided into smaller and smaller foothills, the ridge path meets a very old mid level route, and I followed this east. The landscape here is littered with cairns and standing stones.

Eventually, the old road reaches the lakes at Cregennen. Photographers flock here, and it's easy to see why.

I had planned a walk up Pared-y-Cefn Hir, but tiring legs encouraged me to head back home, so I rejoined the old route towards Dolgellau.

A quick walk up the gully of Islaw'r Dref, following the impressive stream through the woods, and I arrived back at the car park.

This walk is up in my top 3, mainly for the sheer variety of the landscape and the views. The low level route along the ridge and the area around the lakes was a revelation and fine justification for heading off the well worn tracks. The evening sun probably played a part too.

There are more pictures on my Flickr page if you want to see more of the walk.

I hope you enjoyed my first report!  

domtheone

• Veteran Member
Re: TR - Cadair Ridge - the western end
« Reply #1 on: 19:32:04, 02/05/16 »
Nice TR Just O0

Lovely view down to the coast that.

Wish the sky was that blue when i was there last year!

Could/Can you see Snowdon from the top?
If they don't like you going out, they'll love you coming in!

*Money back guarantee does not cover for **** weather!

ljmeerkat75

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:48:29, 02/05/16 »
Good TR and some really nice photos i also liked the one of the coast view i bet it was quiet where you were hopefully this will be the first of many TR

Rhino

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:37:16, 02/05/16 »
Enjoyed reading that mate and the pictures look very nice as well  O0  it looks a very nice walk  :)
Wainwrights Completed 12/12/15

redeye

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 20:58:22, 02/05/16 »
Enjoyed that, nice one  O0
Had a weekend in Arthog last year and walked the lakes area. Very enjoyable

altirando

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 23:52:32, 02/05/16 »
One of the best trail ridge walks in Wales but I suspect not often walked.  But you missed half of it.  Worth gaining the ridge at the eastern end via Cau Craig.  Easy to complete the circuit  via the little lakes and past the youth hostel.22 miles.  Lot of good walking just south of the main part of Snowdonia.  Not crowded on fine summer weekends.

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 16:29:11, 03/05/16 »
Enjoyed the TR and pics. My own backyard but I never tire of seeing it through someone else's eyes.  O0

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 16:48:07, 03/05/16 »
That looks a great walk JW.  Lovely photos too  O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Justwandering

« Reply #8 on: 20:21:25, 03/05/16 »
Thanks for all of the kind comments  :)

domtheone - I didn't see Snowdon, you can certainly see far enough (you can see the hills on the peninsula), but I think the southern Rhinogs block the view.

ljmeerkat - it was quiet, once I left the pony path. I met an elderly couple doing the same walk in the opposite direction, and a couple of very friendly and considerate off road bikers on the cycle route (I think part of it is classified as a green road).

altirando - I'll do the full ridge one day, just need to get hill fit again. This was about 13 miles and took me the best part of 8 hours!

penygadair - if you ever fancy a house swap, let me know; we've got the Wrekin, you've got the ridge..and the lakes...and the Rhinogs..and the estuary...fair swap? Maybe not.

altirando

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 23:43:09, 03/05/16 »
An easy alternative is to do a circuit of the estuary at little more than low level, balcony trail on the north side, the old railway line on the south side.  You can even have lunch in Barmouth before you cross the estuary alongside the railway line.

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 18:14:03, 04/05/16 »
penygadair - if you ever fancy a house swap, let me know; we've got the Wrekin, you've got the ridge..and the lakes...and the Rhinogs..and the estuary...fair swap? Maybe not.

Sorry, NO! The only way I leave here is in a box =  followed by a scattering in the Rhinogs.  ;D

henryb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 21:08:55, 04/05/16 »
Great photos O0

gable man

« Reply #12 on: 19:20:41, 14/05/16 »
Brilliant TR mete nice photos too  O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy