Author Topic: Knee pain walking downhill  (Read 7500 times)

Phileas

Re: Knee pain walking downhill
« Reply #15 on: 21:58:11, 14/05/16 »
I also suspect muscle imbalances are the cause of my ITBS, perhaps related to well developed cycling muscles overpowering weaker walking-specific muscles.

I've mentioned standing workstations in my office but no one seems to take me seriously.
Robin

harry_keogh

« Reply #16 on: 22:04:46, 14/05/16 »
I know what you mean about people not taking you seriously. I've been pestering my manager about it for a year. Think the only reason I'm getting one is to shut me up!

Phileas

« Reply #17 on: 08:16:04, 15/05/16 »
Actually my main problem is not ITBS which is easily prevented with a pole but I have a tendency to damage my ankles, probably tendons (I got tendonitis in my ankle early in my recent SDW walk). I suspect this may also be down to weakness caused by too much sitting.
Robin

Trenchfoot

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 09:20:06, 15/05/16 »
Hi, I've recently started going on group walks at weekends. Yesterday I went on an 11.5 mile walk which was a lot hillier with lots of ups and downs than I've done before.

Towards the end I was getting a lot of pain in my knees when going downhill. I've had pain in my knees before when running.

Is there anything that people would recommend to alleviate it? Would walking poles help?

Thanks
Dean

Had the exact same issue a few years ago. I saw the doctor and got myself checked out and was told to rest up for several weeks. During this time I picked up a pair or cheapo poles with shock absorption and they helped support me on the steeper downhill sections.

One occasion I fell twisting my knee, I was miles from anywhere but without the poles I could not of carried on, they helped get me back to the car. Since then, when I'm walking hills etc, they form part of my kit especially for the little amount of room they take up when stowed.
roll on the weekend

MoelPysgod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 20:08:05, 23/05/16 »
Just want to add my two pennies to the walking pole discussion.

I started using them last year and wouldn't be without them when carrying overnight gear now. However, rather than hang on tightly to the grips, I put my hands through the attached straps, twist them once or twice and then, when pushing off, it's just the outside of my hands pressing on the straps that have contact, more or less. No blisters, and I find this allows firmer purchase. Obviously not ideal if on treacherous rocky terrain but otherwise works a treat.

Laurak

« Reply #20 on: 21:11:18, 03/09/16 »
Hi, how high are poles meant to be in relationship to your body, I tried a pair of Levi that I have borrowed today for the first timespan dam not I have the right height or even how to use them properly , any advice please?

Sarah Pitht

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 22:03:07, 03/09/16 »
I also think core strength is important when going downhill - stops you being pulled down too fast/out of control by gravity/steepness. I currently have zero core strength hence def taking my poles on the walking holiday to Italy next week.

matt142857

« Reply #22 on: 23:33:31, 03/09/16 »
I would recommend poles for sure. They can reduce the impact load on your knees by 25%

I was going to link a good post about it but I cant paste links :(

altirando

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 00:55:09, 04/09/16 »
Pole height , with your arms at a right angle bend at the elbow, that is, upper arm vertical down by your side to your waist, fore arm horizontal, the grip should fit neatly in your hand.  On normal trails it will be mostly your forearm that flexes , a whole arm sweep from shoulder height is more the sort of action adopted by people in very active xc skiing where you get a push from that position right back behind you, even to the extent of partly releasing your grip,just thumb and two finger tips, pressure being from the side of your palm on to the strap not from your grasp of the grip . Knee pain, answer, lot of leg extensions on a gym machine.And while you are there, lots of tricep exercises to give you more power with your fore arm movement.

happyhiker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 09:12:50, 04/09/16 »
Just to add to altirando's post, it follows that to achieve the correct angle referred to, you need to lengthen the poles for downhill and shorten them for uphill. For a long traverse on a steep slope, you might need different lengths.

Phileas

« Reply #25 on: 09:59:18, 04/09/16 »
I'm not convinced that weighted leg extensions will solve all knee pain issues. I've searched for solutions to my ITBS problem but found nothing conclusive. For me, walking poles (or even just one), totally eliminates the issue and doesn't require tedious gym work.

I'm also coming to the conclusion that poles help to prevent other injuries to which I seem prone e.g. ankle tendonitis.
Robin

JaneSarah

« Reply #26 on: 15:36:28, 04/09/16 »
When we did our long walk through Greece a couple of years ago,  my husband had problems with his knees while mine were fine. He's much fitter in cardio terms, but I've done yoga for years and I think that made all the difference. He's now started doing yoga too. I also think having the lightest possible pack really helps (and also helps avoid blisters). Our base weight without food or water was around 6-7 kilos, including camping gear. We both use just one pole, though I've been thinking of trying two.
Jane Sarah
Do check out our walk through Greece from the northern border to southern tip at www.greekhiking.com [nofollow]. What next?

PeakRambler

« Reply #27 on: 18:15:39, 04/09/16 »
I'll put another vote in for trekking poles. Even if you don't need them at the time, they make good water depth gauges and a fabulous back-up for your first aid kit should you twist your ankle!

I must apologise, I've forgotten if anyone suggested seeing your GP, I think someone did, but if not, it's well worth considering just in case there is something underlying.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy