Author Topic: Snowden first time  (Read 6046 times)

MoelPysgod

• Veteran Member
Re: Snowden first time
« Reply #15 on: 14:38:18, 22/06/16 »
Me and a friend did Crib Goch to Snowdon recently, and we descended the Llanberis path. I was quite surprised how nice it was, having always denigrated it. The view towards Clogwyn du'r Arddu was excellent, and the chain of hills including Moel Cynghorion and Moel Eilio looked gorgeous in the early evening light. I won't be so quick to pre-judge busy routes from now on.

(Still, up the south ridge and down the Watkin is the best walker's route!)

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 17:55:05, 22/06/16 »
... up the south ridge and down the Watkin ...

I've yet to try South Ridge but the top of the Watkin path is pretty scratty. He should've stuck to railways ;)

Talking of which, passing steam trains are another attraction on the Llanberis path.
Skip

kristml

« Reply #17 on: 11:48:52, 28/07/16 »
As others have said, the Rhyd-Ddu path is pretty decent. My fave route up snowdon especially when you get towards the top! Was pretty quiet the first time I did it but I went last year with the intention of wild camping and we veered off the path and found a decent pitch off to the right of Snowdon with some cracking views!
What would Batman do....

pdj123

« Reply #18 on: 13:09:39, 02/08/16 »
I'm staying in Beddgelert next week and going to climb Snowdon for the first time, with a plan of going up the pyg track and down the miners track. what's your opinion on this route for a first timer comments would be appreciated.

Paul.

- Dave -

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 14:07:09, 02/08/16 »
If you're a confident walker or have experience in the hills and mountains then the Pyg / Miners route should present you with little difficulty. I suppose one thing to point out is to avoid straying onto Crib Goch from the Pyg which I have heard is more common than you might expect
I'm on the internet!

Check out my blog here:

http://allthegearbutnoidea.blogspot.co.uk

214/214 Wainwrights

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 14:18:42, 02/08/16 »
Another thing to bear in mind is that it is full on school holiday time and Snowdon will be extremely busy - particulalry if the sun shines (what are the chances?).  If I were you I'd make it a very early start, unless you are happy to be in a steady stream of people walking up.

DalesWalesLakesandPeaks

« Reply #21 on: 16:26:11, 03/08/16 »
The Llanberis Path is lovely if you get the timing right.

I went up during the week in December last year (the weather was not too bad).

Amazingly hardly saw anyone all day and had the summit to myself.

:o

Get the timing right and it's not the borefest many describe. As already said in this thread, some lovely views on the way up.
Twitter: @jonesibfc

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 20:05:36, 03/08/16 »
Even at the height of the season,June to August, the Snowdon Ranger Path to the summit still receives few walkers.
Probably because there is limited parking at the Snowdon Ranger Youth Hostel, and its nearly a two mile walk to Rhydd DDu, and the locals in Bettws Garmon do not like people blocking their drives, which i can fully understand.

For peace and contemplation, any time of the year, the Snowdon Ranger to the summit rarely gets much traffic, and you get to the top,which is all that matters really.

pdj123

« Reply #23 on: 07:59:59, 11/08/16 »
Well I achieved 1 of my goals on Monday the 8th up bright and early and headed for pen y pass on arriving the car park was full so back down to nant peris car park for the bus back up. We climbed up the pyg and down the miners absolutely amazing had to keep stopping to turn around and take in the magical views.  Was very busy with other walkers but to be honest that didn't bother me but what was surprising how ill equipped some people were shocking. On getting to the top I just sat down taking it all in and got to say I had tears in my eyes magical. Can't wait to return happy days.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 10:07:54, 11/08/16 »
By far the finest view of Snowdon is from the bottom of Moel Cynhorion, on the Snowdon Ranger Path.
The view from Bryn Gwynant, at the roadside opposite the start of the Watkin is pretty special as well, but the mountain is obscured from Pen Y Pass, and looks uninteresting from Llanberis.

The easiest and finest way up the mountain, is from the Waunfawr Beddgelert road, with numerous assents to choose from.

One does not have to follow the crowds, as getting lost going up Snowdon is almost impossible, as the summit is alway's in view from most directions.

joester

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 13:42:44, 11/08/16 »
solvitur ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy