Author Topic: TR - Cumbria Way, 3 to 7 May 2016  (Read 3610 times)

Kukkudrill

TR - Cumbria Way, 3 to 7 May 2016
« on: 20:43:18, 11/05/16 »
This was my first long-distance walk. Accommodation was a mixture of B&Bs (Ulverston, Keswick and Carlisle) and camping (Coniston, Great Langdale and Caldbeck). I carried a load of around 14.5 kilos. Because this was also my first time camping in the UK, I opted to use official camping sites. I had the Cicerone guidebook on the Cumbria Way. I also had the GPS route from the Cicerone website loaded in my GPS unit.

The Cumbria Way is considered a relatively easy long-distance walk. But when I started I felt anything but confident that I could finish it. I had trained for it, but nowhere near as much as I wanted or needed to. I never managed to do more than one training walk a week, and the longest one I managed was 22km just a day before leaving Malta.

The weather was good throughout my walk. Conditions were at times overcast, at times sunny. It never rained and winds were moderate.

Arrival at Ulverston, 2nd May

I flew from Malta to Manchester. While in Manchester I bought a Jetboil gas canister, which I could not bring with me on the plane, then I caught the train to Ulverston.

After arriving at Ulverston I got the news that a former classmate, work colleague and friend had died suddenly. He was a good man. His untimely departure brought home how fragile and unpredictable life is. You have to seize the moment, for there is no telling if you will be given another. This was my moment to walk the Cumbria Way. I would walk tomorrow in honour of my friend. And, I resolved, I would get to Coniston if I had to crawl on all fours.

The Hoad Monument overlooking Ulverston

Three funny types

Day 1 (3rd May): Ulverston to Coniston

Day 1 turned out to be memorable. I had to make two diversions from the route, once because I could not find the public right of way leading away from a road, and once because I got cornered in a meadow by cows.

I had my route blocked by cows twice at different points along the route. It was uncanny how they seemed to know where I was going and how they gathered together to head me off. The first time it happened, I had to double back and take an alternative route. The second time, the cows eventually wandered off and I was able to carry on. It almost happened a third time, and this time the menacing herd included two bulls with nasty-looking horns. But it occurred to me to remove the red jacket I was wearing, and then the herd lost interest and dispersed. Coincidence? I have no idea. But I was glad when I left the farmland behind and reached the wild country in the region of Beacon Tarn. This was a solitary and beautiful place, but I had little time to linger because I still had plenty of ground to cover.

Another highlight of the day's walk happened here, when I tried to leap across a lengthy stretch of bog that cut across the trail and I took a tumble, luckily with no serious consequences.

I camped at the Coniston Hall campsite. By the time I got there my legs felt like lead and I was unsure whether I would be able to carry on the following day.

Official distance: 25km. Actual distance walked: 29.8km.

The official start of the Way, though I had already walked 1.6km to get to this point

This is where I had to take my first diversion. According to my directions one of these two gates should have been a public right of way, but there was nothing to show it so I continued up the road and eventually rejoined the route via a public bridleway

A look back at the Hoad Monument

“You shall not pass!” My second encounter with cows. Moments later they started coming closer and I thought I had better put the camera away to keep my hands free

Looking towards Gawthwaite

Beck going under a drystone wall

Beacon Tarn

Coniston Hall campsite
Make the most of the available light

Kukkudrill

Re: TR - Cumbria Way, 3 to 7 May 2016
« Reply #1 on: 20:45:34, 11/05/16 »
Day 2 (4th May): Coniston to Great Langdale

My legs felt surprisingly good when I woke. Because of this, and because this stage was relatively short, I felt more relaxed than I had been the previous day and I enjoyed the walk more.

I was familiar with the first part of the route, having followed it on a walk from Coniston to Ambleside in October 2015. But still I was entranced by the hills north of Coniston and I felt a profound sense of peace settle on me. This feeling continued as I walked through Great Langdale right up to my destination at the National Trust campsite. I was tired but in good spirits as I set up camp.

Official distance: 19km. Actual distance walked: 22.5km.

The folly north of Coniston

The Yewdale Fells

Funny humans … they walk on by and don’t even stop to nibble the grass

Bridge at Elterwater

Chapel Stile

The Langdale Pikes

The National Trust campsite near the Old Dungeon Ghyll Hotel

Day 3 (5th May): Great Langdale to Keswick

I was a little apprehensive as I started this day. It was officially the longest stage of the walk and it included a stiff ascent. But it turned out to be a great day.

The route involved heading all the way into Great Langdale valley and climbing up to Stake Pass. The ascent was tough with 14 kilos on my back, but I took it slowly with plenty of short breaks. It helped that this part of the walk came early in the day. Stake Pass was followed by a steep descent to Langstrath valley. It was almost a spiritual experience to be here with the primordial hills looking down on me and the wind whispering in my ears. I felt pressed for time but I just had to stop for a short while to take it all in.

I surprised myself with the energy I had as I got going again. It was only after 15km or so that the tiredness started to set in. I reached Keswick exhausted after about 9 hours, including a brief stop at Rosthwaite for tea and a bite, but still on a high after Langstrath.

Official distance: 25.5km. Actual distance walked: 29.5km.

Heading up Great Langdale valley

Climbing towards Stake Pass

Langstrath valley

Black Crag (I think)

Derwent Water

Kukkudrill

« Reply #2 on: 20:50:31, 11/05/16 »
Day 4 (6th May): Keswick to Caldbeck

This was a day of contrasts. Early on the route took me beneath Lonscale Fell and into the Glendaterra Beck valley, another place of spectacular vistas with hardly a soul to disturb the feeling of oneness with nature.

Past the Carrock mines the terrain became wilder yet more hemmed in. The path, in so far as I could still see it – the guidebook calls it “uncertain” in this area – diverged dramatically from my GPS route and I thought I had taken a wrong turning. I decided to climb up across the rough ground to rejoin the proper path, only to discover that there was none such and the path I had been on was the only one. The path went in a great curve while the GPS route was simply a straight line between two widely separated waypoints on the path. I had gone too far to retrace my steps, so I carried on until I rejoined the path at the second waypoint.

Then came a climb up High Pike and a descent to Caldbeck. At Caldbeck I couldn't find the campsite where I had been meaning to spend the night. Eventually I discovered that it was actually a farm undergoing renovation works. I had no other accommodation options, but luckily the farmer put me up in his garden. It seemed a very makeshift arrangement, but the following morning I asked the lady of the farm whether they would be willing to host other campers and she said yes.

Official distance: 23km. Actual distance walked: 27.7km.

Glendaterra valley

Skiddaw House

Great Calva

Sheepfold

Garden campsite

Day 5 (7th May): Caldbeck to Carlisle

I thought that by now my legs would have grown accustomed to the distances I was walking, but this stage turned out to be the toughest of all. It started well enough and I was feeling good as I left Caldbeck, but after about 12km the tiredness caught up with me.

The official route crossed the River Caldew at Bell Bridge, but this bridge had collapsed after last winter’s floods. I took a diversion that kept me east of the river (on paved roads, unfortunately) until I reached Rose Bridge which was intact. Here I rejoined the official route on the river’s west bank.

The scenery was pleasant, but as I drew nearer to Carlisle it started taking on more of an urban and industrial character. Fatigue slowed me down and the journey seemed like it would never end. My boots felt stone-hard under my feet and my shoulders and thighs were on fire. But I kept putting one foot ahead of the other until, as I got past the outskirts of Carlisle, I realised that victory was within my grasp. And then, finally, I was in the town centre. I had made it!

Official distance: 25km. Actual distance walked: 27.2 km.

Rooster in Caldbeck

Flowering tree (sorry, my knowledge of plants is next to nonexistent)

Collapsed pathway along the River Caldew

Pleasant scenery en route

Hello to you too

Rose Bridge

The route changed its character as Carlisle got closer

Victory!

Carlisle city centre (photo taken the following morning)

Thoughts on gear

My main items of gear included a Force Ten Helium 2 tent (weight 1.4kg), a Rab Ascent 500 down sleeping bag (1.1kg), a Thermarest Pro Lite Plus sleeping pad (657g), and an Aeros Premium inflatable pillow (80g). All these items performed well with the partial exception of the sleeping bag. Nighttime temperatures averaged about 7 degrees, well within the bag’s specifications, yet to stay warm I had to sleep in trousers, base layer, shirt and fleece. This is partly because I am a cold sleeper and partly, I think, because there wasn’t enough time for the sweat of the day’s walk to dry off before I went to sleep. To save weight I opted not to carry clothes specifically to sleep in, and perhaps this was a mistake.  

My gear also included camp sandals and a folding camp chair. The sandals, slip-ons really, are cheap but light plastic things. The chair is a Helinox Ground Chair. Between them these items added 866g to my pack weight, but I was glad to have them.  

My boots were comfortable, but after walking for eight hours or more I'd be desperate to get them off. I wore the sandals with a pair of Sealskinz socks to keep my feet warm and dry. I used these socks mostly in camp. I found them a little too warm to walk in, but I did so for part of a day after I sank my boots into a deep mud patch and got them wet on the inside.

The chair was essential in relieving pressure on my already tired back while I was warming food and eating. This model of chair has been criticized because it is very low on the ground, but this actually makes the chair easier to sit in when preparing your supper with your cooking gear laid out on the ground. The chair is expensive, but it is around 200g lighter than cheaper rivals so I felt that the cost was justified.   

Did I take any items which I did not use? My sunglasses. Here in Malta I rarely walk without them on, but in the Lake District I did not feel the need for them even when the sun was out. I carried them the whole Way without ever using them.

Thoughts on long-distance walks

I’m very happy to have finished the Cumbria Way. The difficulties en route made success all the sweeter. Nevertheless, the experience had made me rethink my views on long-distance walks.  

Not all parts of the Cumbria Way were equally scenic. For instance I felt that the first part of stage 1, which goes through farmland, was below par – and not just because of my experiences with the cows. Also, was the final stage worth walking 27km over eight hours? Frankly no. I had read that this stage was an anticlimax, but I wanted my first long-distance walk to be a complete route. I wanted to “tick off” the Cumbria Way as a precursor to other LDWs.  

Now, however, my priorities have changed. I want to continue walking, and possibly camping, but I want to experience the best scenery within reach of my means and abilities. I want to visit places that will give me the sense of peace and oneness with nature that I experienced at Langstrath Valley. I am no longer preoccupied with joining the dots between these places. I used to aspire to doing the Pennine Way: this is now no longer a priority for me.  

Also, I want to limit the distances I walk each day. On the Cumbria Way I always felt pressed for time, like I was on a route march rather than a walk. I never felt I had enough time to truly appreciate the scenery I was walking through. And after about 15km or so tiredness would further reduce my ability to appreciate my surroundings. At this point I would become more preoccupied with how much distance I still had to cover. Fifteen km seems to be my natural range. But most LDWs would take too long to finish at 15km a day – another reason to reconsider whether I should do more of them.  

Speaking of distance, it is interesting to see the variation between the official distance of the Cumbria Way – 117.5km or 73.4 miles, according to the guidebook – and the actual distance I walked, which came to 136.7km or 85.4 miles. Part of the difference is accounted for by the distance to and from my accommodation, notably at Ulverston and Caldbeck. Another part is a result of deviations from the route, especially in stages 1 and 5. But, I feel, this is not the whole story. The official figures seem to underestimate the distance slightly, perhaps because they measure the distance between waypoints and do not take account of all the twists and turns of the trail. Or else my GPS exaggerates distances.  

As I said I’m glad I did the Cumbria Way. Part of the problem with cherry-picking parts of the route is that you do not always know beforehand which parts to cherry-pick. I had never heard of Langstrath valley before I did the Way, so I might never have seen the valley if I did not walk the Way. Doing the Way was worth it to me for this valley alone. But if anyone asked me whether the Cumbria Way is a good choice as an LDW, I’d say look for alternatives because there may be better walks.

C2C10

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 10:29:00, 12/05/16 »
Enjoyed reading your trip report and wonderful photos. The Cumbria Way is a lovely walk and one, I did in June 1986. I keep meaning to do this walk again, maybe next year. Like you, I would camp it and it is a fairly moderate walk with some wonderful views. Again thanks.

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 16:48:44, 12/05/16 »
Sorry to hear about the death of your friend Kukku, I imagine it made your 'victory' at completing the walk all the more poignant.

Lovely photos and write up too! O0

Tracey :)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 19:35:34, 12/05/16 »
I only skimmed it, but some very nice pics there! O0 O0 O0
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

Kukkudrill

« Reply #6 on: 20:48:13, 12/05/16 »
Thanks all  :)

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 21:43:33, 12/05/16 »
Beautiful photos and great TR    :)    I was interested to read your comments on LDWs.  I do sections rather than walking them in their entirety but I can see that finishing a trail would bring a great sense of achievement.

werringtonwalker

« Reply #8 on: 21:49:14, 12/05/16 »
Really enjoyed the TR and photos.  And glad that you managed to get through the week with ideal weather - not many can say that in an English spring :)

In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks - John Muir

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 07:51:08, 13/05/16 »
A great TR and reminded me that I have the guide book on the shelf but have never got round to using it! Something I should remedy. Incidentally it was printed in 1999 and has the distance as 72.5 miles.
GPSs do seem to increase mileage, presumably because they are more accurate with the twists and turns.
Oh bullocks!  comes to mind on your first day.
Will be interesting to know which LDW you chose next.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

youradvocate

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 14:11:43, 13/05/16 »
Great photos, it bought back goodish memories for me. They were not so good at the time. I too camped at the site at Coniston, it rained, rained and rained! I was the only tent on the site! I decided to hike into the village for a beer but forgot my torch. Getting back to my tent in total darkness was a real trial and I slept badly, foxes howling for ages from the wood adjacent to the tent grass area.

Good learning situation though, putting a tent up and then taking it down in continous heavy rain tested me to the limit, desparately trying to pack my gear without it getting wet.

Also the Dungeon Ghyll site, poured hard there as well, plus high winds. Never even made it to the pub.

All the best.

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 17:33:42, 13/05/16 »
Great Pics and TR  O0
I'm with you, that first few miles out of Ulverston is a bit boring but once you reach Tottlebank the CW becomes a fine walk ;)

youradvocate

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 18:17:49, 13/05/16 »
I decided to look up your Helinox Ground Chair, looks interesting but pricey I looked up the Thermarest Compac chair as well, not sure about this one? Does it work, or does the photo just give an impression that it works?

Kukkudrill

« Reply #13 on: 14:48:31, 14/05/16 »
Thanks all.

Yes I was lucky with the weather.

Can't comment about the Thermarest Compack but I can vouch for the Helinox.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy