Author Topic: Isle of Lewis  (Read 1602 times)

alewife

• Veteran Member
Isle of Lewis
« on: 22:00:53, 16/05/16 »
I seem to have suddenly been given an opportunity to visit Lewis this summer, so would value any information about anything Lewis-related, accommodation -not camping, getting there, nice walks, any negatives, experiences, dare I mention midges? whatever. Thanks in advance for comments.
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
Re: Isle of Lewis
« Reply #1 on: 10:11:24, 18/05/16 »
 Callanish stones and Carloway Broch on the West coast are well worth a visit.
There aren't that many footpaths, a few estate tracks, but Scottish access laws mean you can go pretty much where you want.  I warn you it is either pretty boggy or rocky or both.  There's a nice walk down a track near the West coast towards Loch Hamnaway; it starts near the end of the Uig road.  I think there are some new paths further up the coast near Carloway;  But you can just find a nice bit and set off, but the going can be quite rough. Great Bernera is worth a visit.
Not sure if you are bringing a car, there are a few buses but not as many as there were since council cuts.  A lot of visitors cycle. Hitch hikers usually get a lift quite quickly.
There are hotels, b&b's and bunkhouses but things can get booked up especially in July and August.
Midges - yes lots.
Getting there: flights from Glasgow to Stornoway but they are quite expensive.  Ferry from Ullapool to Stornoway or Uig in Skye to Tarbert in Harris.  If you are bringing a car you do tend to need to book in the summer as the ferries get very busy.  However, just because they say they are full doesn't mean they are: I am usually on standby and nearly always get on.
Nothing is open on Sunday, no buses, very few taxis.
If you like hills, head down towards Harris.  If you have time to go south cross over on the ferry from Leverburgh to Berneray and have a look at Uist as well, the ferry journey itself is worth doing.  the scenery changes a lot;  Lewis is mostly moorland with some nice rocky coastline, Harris is hill and rock with some spectacular walks, Uist has the machair which is all sand and flowers and pretty beaches.
Negatives: It rains a lot and the wind rarely drops completely.  And when it rains there is nothing to do;  The Islands only cater for tourists who like the great outdoors.  And shops, once you are away from Stornoway are a bit basic.  And, apart from a big Co-op there's nothing much in Stornoway either.

alewife

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 23:12:18, 22/05/16 »
Thank you, thats really helpful. Yes, bringing a vehicle. I think we will have 8 or 10 days so hopefully can get about a bit and would be great if we can go to Skye too at some point. Darn it about the midges, but I think I knew that anyway. Any suggestions for midge avoidance (other than come in December!). Is there any sort of tourist board type organisation or will I need to approach B&B type places independently? The machair sounds wonderful though.
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 17:39:53, 23/05/16 »
Spray (some people swear by smidge), midge hoods and don't go out when it's flat calm are the only way of avoiding most of the midges.  The other thing is to be one of those people they don't go for!
If you want to see a bit of Skye you could use the ferry from Uig in Skye to Tarbert, and drive up to Lewis, it's only about 30 miles to Stornoway.  I think it's cheaper than the Stornoway ferry, and it's a shorter crossing.   A lot of people travel in and out on different ferries, via Skye one way and Stornoway to Ullapool the other.  But be warned, Skye gets very booked up in the summer. 
Not all b&b's use the tourist board website, I think it costs, so you might find you have to do a bit of looking around online.  They tend to be expensive compared to most of England.
The Islands are a great place for a holiday if you like peace and quiet and the beach to yourself; There isn't much night life!

alewife

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 08:21:56, 24/05/16 »
Thanks again for the info. I have passed it on to my friends so we can come up with a plan.Cheers.
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy