Author Topic: TR: Tryfan and Glyder Fach Scramble - Friday 13th May  (Read 9624 times)

domtheone

• Veteran Member
6 of us.  Myself, Dave (Rhino), Luke (ljmeerkat75), heatybob (Ged), Mark (harry_keogh) and Carl (guest invite from another forum) met up last Friday (13th!) for another trip up Tryfan.

Bit different to last time we made the scramble up to the summit as the plan was to head round to the right (west) a bit and go up via the Milestone Gully.  Eventually joining up with the North ridge before continuing onto the summit.

After that it was down the other (South) side but instead of going back up Bristly Ridge, we would traverse round to the right to join the north face of Glyder Fach.  The plan then was to head straight up the Main Gully.  This, conveniently, summits very close to the Cantilever stone.

After that, well it was all depending on the time.  Drop back down to climb back up Bristly Ridge or back down the Gribin.

I didn’t fancy a 4am alarm call :o back in Notts so travelled down the night before and stayed (along with Dave) in the YHA in Conway the night before. 

The alarm clock was set for a leisurely 6am.  Breakfast at 645am in the local McDonalds, before popping round the corner to the train station to pick up Luke at 7.30am.

Unfortunately, McDonalds was closed as the Manager hadn’t turned up ::)  This left 3 members of staff outside to turn people away.

Plan B.  A bacon cob in the café at the train station.

Said cob and a tea later, we met Luke and headed over to meet the others.

It was just after 8am when we approached the car park at the foot of Tryfan.  Ged, Carl and Mark where already there so, after brief introductions, we set of up the path.  This time, taking a right turn at the wooden style by the wall. 

Traversing round a bit, we began to approach the beginning of the Milestone Gully.

It wasn’t long before we approached the mantelshelf.  Cue some fun and games as we tried to climb up this awkward, 5ft high piece of rock.

I don’t have any pics of this (others might) but it was pretty tricky having to haul oneself up this narrow stretch of rock.  In the end, 4 of us made it up, 2 walked round to avoid the tricky shelf.
Rucksacks back on (took them off to make it easier to climb up the shelf) and a short debrief on the mantelshelf later, we continued on up the gully.

Pretty steep and wet and slippy in places.

Looking back down

Soon we were out of the gully and out in the open again. 

The scrambling continued.  Generally, with nice grippy rock with lots of good hand/foot holds.

The grass/heather was very slippy in places though which kept us on our toes.

We took a line up with the intention of coming out near the canon stone and, after some more fun scrambling, we popped out literally just below it.

We paused for 10 minutes and took turns on the stone, taking photos along the way.

Soon after we continued up the North Ridge proper.  Again, there was no pre-set route so we just took whatever line looked the most exciting.  Occasionally pausing for a quick chat.

There was a very tricky piece of rock that some of us we negotiated.  There were various routes around it so it was every man for himself as to which route each person took.
My heart was slightly racing as I followed Luke and Mark up a particular line.

Again, I’ve no pictures of the awkward piece of rock but it was a bit iffy and I was relieved to make it up but my arms where aching from supporting myself on the rock for several minutes.

By this time, the sun was out, the sky was blue and the views all around were great.

Soon after that, we approached another huge chunk of rock that Carl, Luke and Mark decided to venture straight up and over.

The rest of us took some pics and headed round to the right to go the easier way up.

It looked pretty intimidating but, when we joined up on the other side, the guys said that it wasn’t too bad.  Maybe next time….

Think this was the easier route up round to the right…

It wasn’t long before the scrambling fun was over (for now) and we reached the summit of Tryfan.  Initially, we were the only ones there.  As I walked up onto the summit with Luke, we discussed how different it was to the last time when there must have been over 100 up there! 

After a brief climb up Adam (or Eve), to have a look at the “leap”, I hastily climbed back down again.  Not for me.  The gusts of wind put me off.  Maybe another time on a perfectly calm day…

Few pics of the guys making the leap

After a spot of lunch, we began the descent down the south ridge.   Keeping to our right.  The group split for a while as Mark and then Carl forged on ahead to scope out a number of other routes across the north face of Glyder Fach.

Once down at the path, it was time to say adios to Ged who had arranged to do just the Tryfan section of the walk.  As Ged took the path back down to Llyn Ogwen, the 3 amigos, turned left and traversed across towards our next destination, Main Gully.

Lovely view of Llyn Bochlwdy and beyond.

And back to Tryfan.

Another brief rest stop by Alphabet slab and a brief hello to 2 climbers that had descended down one of the gully’s, we were ready to begin the ascent up the main gully.

We couldn’t see Mark and Carl so assumed they had already began ascending one of the gully’s further across to the right.

Dave coming up the Gully.

I don’t have any pics of the next hour or so and, could probably write a whole trip report about said hour. ;D

The short version however….it was a good climb up the gully.  Then we reached the infamous chockstone. :-X

Luke make the awkward manoeuvre, no problem.  I had a couple of attempts and so did Dave.

It was tricky and, half way through the manoeuver (which is as far as we got initially) the exposure feeling was starting to make me feel a tad nervous.
Feeling a bit dejected, we decided that we would not be able to make it so agreed that the sensible thing would be to retrace our steps and descend back down the gully.   Didn’t like the look of that either!

Just as we were about to descend.  Carl and Mark turned up.  Fresh from their own adventures on another gully/ridge.  Carl, being the climber type, asked what the problem was and suggested we take another look at the chockstone.  He then climbed up to said stone and a consultation began about exactly how to navigate it!

I watched Carl make the manoeuvre and saw that he had positioned his body at a different angle to how I (and Dave) had approached it previously.

Encouraged by the team, we gave it another try.  Suffice to say, with some help from Carl and Luke, Dave tried first and, with a helping hand from the guys, made it up the stone.
I followed next and, whilst I didn’t fancy the exact manoeuvre that Dave managed, I made it up, following the manoeuvre that I had seen Carl perform a few minutes earlier.
Was a bit of a revelation really.  15 mins before I had been in the same position and couldn’t find a way up.

Now, just by positioning myself a bit different, the hand/footholds instantly became more accessible and voila, easy peasy!  Well, not that easy at all but previously it had seemed impossible!

A few minutes were taken to gather ourselves (heart was racing a bit from the ups and downs of the last 30 mins) before we then headed onwards and upwards.

Was fairly steep but not too technically demanding with good foot/handhelds again.

A short time later the gully opened up and we could see that the final leg was in sight.

Another steep section with some big chunky rocks but very grippy and bone dry, unlike some sections back down in the gully.

Glorious blue sky too

Shortly before the summit and scrambling complete.

A brief stop on the top (no venture onto the Cantilever stone this time) and chat about our earlier exploits.  It had certainly been an interesting last hour to say the least.

Time was getting on and, from memory, it was around 5pm so a drop back down and “extra” climb back up Bristly Ridge wasn’t on the agenda so a quick decision was made that we would walk across the ridge and descend via the Gribin.

The descent of the Gribin wasn’t too bad.  As far as long descents go.  Having done it once before, I knew the top part was fairly steep with some loose scree but, I've seen worse :)

A look back up the Gribin.

Tryfan, Bristly Ridge and the North face of Glyder Fach

A close up of the North Face.  Main gully just left of centre.

Route details.

Total time of 11hrs 22 mins. :o  Total Ascent 1101m (3612ft).  Total distance 6.69 miles (10.7km).

Another epic route and nice to meet a couple of new faces (Mark/Carl) on this meet. O0

Certainly was a tough one.  Thank god we seemed to have a whole chemist at hand between us as we had our fair share of incidents (bumps/bruises/tumbles/muscle/joint pains).  Still, no pain no gain. :D

Thanks again to Luke for his unflappable composure in all situations.  The time spent around the chockstone wasn’t the most comfortable for myself and Dave but it helps tremendously when calm heads are around. O0

Special thanks to Carl who joined us on the route.  His experience, from a climbing perspective was most welcome and really came in handy in a few places.

Thanks to Mark, Ged and Dave for attending what was another terrifically exciting meet.

I seem to say this every time but it’s another route I’ll just have to do again some time. ;D 

If they don't like you going out, they'll love you coming in!

*Money back guarantee does not cover for **** weather!

harry_keogh

Re: TR: Tryfan and Glyder Fach Scramble - Friday 13th May
« Reply #1 on: 14:03:23, 20/05/16 »
Excellent trip report Dom! You capture the emotions better than me. My own reports sound a bit dry sometimes.

I was actually in the middle of writing you a message asking when it's going to be up when I saw it! Believe it or not, I actually posted mine on my blog at almost the same time

If you don't mind, I'll stick the link here as it seems silly having 2 threads for the same walk. Was one of the reasons I was messaging you actually - I wanted you to post yours first!

My trip report: Milestone Gully Approach and Main Gully

domtheone

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 14:11:31, 20/05/16 »
 ;D  No worries Mark.

Thanks for the link.  Will have a proper read tonight O0

heatybob

« Reply #3 on: 15:10:25, 20/05/16 »
Well, guys you dun it again,

Dom, mate fantastic TR and phots mate, and your being very modest about the "tricky piece of rock" you done great there mate,good effort I was $htn myself watching and well done on getting over the chockstone.

Same Same, Mark cracking report mate,your blog is excellent,well written,well laid out with great pics and diagrams a pleasure reading it tbh mate.

My take on the day,well half day was..... being a newbie it was no doubt one of the best days I've had with great company and look forward to seeing you all on the next one, Thanks guys for a great day. O0
2017 to-do's

Get fit enough to......
...Aonoch Eagach ridge (june 17)
eta-didnt appen due to injury !!
...Get my A$$ over that  "Mantleshelf"

ljmeerkat75

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 16:38:20, 20/05/16 »
Great TR and photos Dom you certainly did the day justice we will have to do this one again even though i have done it a few times and it was good to add some new variations to it like the tricky slab shame you didn't have a pic of my hobbit hole near the top of it!!

ljmeerkat75

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 16:51:43, 20/05/16 »
Excellent trip report Dom! You capture the emotions better than me. My own reports sound a bit dry sometimes.

I was actually in the middle of writing you a message asking when it's going to be up when I saw it! Believe it or not, I actually posted mine on my blog at almost the same time

If you don't mind, I'll stick the link here as it seems silly having 2 threads for the same walk. Was one of the reasons I was messaging you actually - I wanted you to post yours first!

Great blog Mark really enjoyed that hope the groin strain as gone we were lucky to have such a good day for it plenty of nice photos as a result

heatybob

« Reply #6 on: 18:11:25, 20/05/16 »
I like the way how EVERYONES pics make it seem like i have either (a) got a monks cap or (b) I'm wearing a skin coloured helmet.
  Is that photoshop ;D
2017 to-do's

Get fit enough to......
...Aonoch Eagach ridge (june 17)
eta-didnt appen due to injury !!
...Get my A$$ over that  "Mantleshelf"

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 18:31:05, 20/05/16 »
Superb TR, pics and day out, great stuff guys  O0
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

welshwiz

« Reply #8 on: 19:13:52, 20/05/16 »
Great TR and photos Well done O0
To many mountains, not enough time.

harry_keogh

« Reply #9 on: 20:22:33, 20/05/16 »
I'll be taking my kids to Snowdonia again in the summer hols, and might get them to have a go at the milestone gully. I think they'll enjoy it.

domtheone

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 22:39:16, 20/05/16 »

Great TR Mark O0

@Ged - Cheers mate.  Was a good un.  Back to Wales next month :D

@Phil1960/welshwiz.  Many thanks.

Cheers Luke.  I guess I could have got the camera out of my rucksack (while I was behind Mark) to take a few pics.  Didn't fancy taking either hand off the rock though lol.  Maybe next time ;)

I really wanted to crawl into the hobbit hole to have a rest mind ;D

Rhino

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 22:46:41, 20/05/16 »
Great write up of the day Dom and worth waiting for  O0  you managed to sum up the feeling to a tee with regards to the chockstone  ;)  still cant believe stood on the bottom level and looking at the pinnacle that i actually stood on it when i eventually got up to the next section  :D 
I cant praise Luke and Carl enough for their help and encouragement getting up that bloody thing, thanks guys  O0 

The bacon cob (that must be a Notts thing  ;D ) was very nice as well as the coffee in the station, a new place for breakfast on my Wales trips  :)
Great stay at Conwy YHA, fully booked but you wouldnt have thought it and a nice way to arrive refreshed in the morning.

Was great to meet up with old and new friends on a fantastic day out scrambling  :)

Ive set myself the personal challenge to go back at some point in the future and get up that that first section without the help of a leg up and shove, christ that means stood on that pinnacle again  ;D

A few pics of the day

Looking up the Milestone gully waiting for my turn to get started

The Team looking all chilled out

Ged Mark and Carl taking as much rock route as possible even the little sections

]

Luke making it look easy on the grade 3 section of the Milestone Gully continuation

There you go Dom

Both of us last time never stood up on the top of that, nest time we will be looking over the end like Carl  O0

Looking down that rather good section we climbed up in the crack

Looking down the little section i slipped down at the bottom of it

The awkward piece of rock, the picture doesnt really show it but at the end of that slanted rock it was a drop of about 15 to 20ft

Another awkward section

Ged making easy work of the scrambling

Carl disappearing up that crack (no Jokes please)

Our much easier route up

Come on Dom give us a pose

A flying Rhino

A section at the bottom of Main Gully

The only picture looking at the top half of the chockstone bit, doesnt it look so easy from this angle

Sat looking back down at the top of the chockstone and Dom making his way up, i was very relieved to be sat there at this point

The section just after the chockstone and the hard part was over Luke said  :D

The Adrenalin took me up this section fairly quickly and it was good to have a challenging scramble up after the chockstone to get some confidence back.

You cant take Luke anywhere without him messing about  ;D

Leaving the cantilever where we summited after a much needed break

« Last Edit: 23:04:03, 20/05/16 by Rhino »
Wainwrights Completed 12/12/15

Rhino

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 22:48:23, 20/05/16 »
I like the way how EVERYONES pics make it seem like i have either (a) got a monks cap or (b) I'm wearing a skin coloured helmet.
  Is that photoshop ;D

I dont know what you mean brother Ged  ;D

Rhino

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 23:07:01, 20/05/16 »
A great read there Mark and i very much enjoyed it and the memories of a truly great day out  O0

Loved the Trail video of Adam and Eve with the guy making it look easy, the best bit is at the end when it shows you the cuts and he is crapping himself justifiably  ;D  I especially liked his view on when he said "if you fall here its a broken collar bone and ankle, there its death"  8)  proper sums it up  O0 

domtheone

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 23:15:38, 20/05/16 »
Brilliant pics Dave O0

Great effort on the awkward piece of rock one.

Some great angles too, showing how steep things were. O0

OMG @ the chockstone pic.  Too right it looks easy. :o   What they hell were we playing at ;D

Brother Ged ;D ;D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy