Author Topic: Clothing  (Read 12965 times)

dungie203

Re: Clothing
« Reply #30 on: 10:42:52, 24/05/16 »
If that's the case I would suggest you next visit your nearest branch of Sports Direct / JJB Sports / Field and Trek and check out these 3 Karrimor eVent jackets. As I said earlier it's rare to find jackets made using eVent at such low prices so they've got to be at least worth a look.

£40 http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-explorer-jacket-mens-442011
£50 http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-pioneer-event-jacket-mens-442009
£75 http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-alpiniste-jacket-mens-442151

My fleece should be here today or tomorrow so ill have a trek down my local Sports Direct later in the week and try one on with my fleece underneath, ill ring first see if they have got any in stock. I like the look of the pioneer although i can not find any reviews for it.

If they dont keep them in stock i guess i will just risk it and order a large and hopefully it will fit.

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 12:10:27, 24/05/16 »
I like the look of the pioneer although i can not find any reviews for it.

Neither can I. It always bothers me when there aren't any to find (not even on their own website) or videos to look at on YouTube which is why I suggested that you need to go and look for yourself.

Just remember it's Karrimor who unfortunately no longer have the great reputation for quality which they had back in the 70's and 80's before they went bust. Then again you need to remember the low price you are paying compared to other eVent jackets on the market and adjust your expectations accordingly. At the end of the day if does the job you're buying it for the brand name doesn't matter. The key to eVent is looking after it - keeping it clean and regularly renewing the DWR coating with something like Nikwax TX Direct.

These may be worth a read
http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/expert-advice/waterproof-jackets-guide
http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/expert-advice/guide-to-e-vent

botty

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 19:12:33, 24/05/16 »
I bought an Alpiniste when they first came out, and it is a very good jacket. Rain never touched me in it, only thing that some might not like is that the material is not particularly soft and flexible, it's quite rigid but I like that.

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 12:30:54, 25/05/16 »
Another budget jacket to add to your list of possibles to have a look at Quechua Forclaz 400 Men's Hiking Jacket @ £59.99

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/forclaz-400-mens-blue-yellow-id_8355719.html

dungie203

« Reply #34 on: 16:15:27, 25/05/16 »
Thanks kinkyboots and botty.

The fact it takes a lot of care maybe puts me off eVent but i suppose im just being lazy.

I like the look of the craghoppers reaction lite, go outdoors do it for 40 quid too but you guessed it, collection only and miles away lol.

That Quechua looks really nice also, i was hoping to spend maybe 40-50 max though but its still on the list for further research.

Thanks so much for all the help.

dungie203

« Reply #35 on: 16:36:55, 25/05/16 »
Craghoppers Reaction Lite can be got off ebay for less than £40 delivered. Found the Reaction Lite II for 49 quid plus 3 quid delivery though elsewhere. Tempting lol.

Reviews sound good apart from everyone saying the zips get caught alot, this was a review for the reaction lite though not the lite II so maybe they have improved them.

Unsure on sizing as there guide says a Large is 42" chest which is what i am, wandering though if this would be a bit tight with fleece and base layer plus a bit of room to move, thinking get the XL and then this would also give me the option for an extra layer if it was really cold.

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 17:38:55, 25/05/16 »
At the end of the day you've now got a few choices to look at and the decision is yours.

Generally the more you spend on it the better it's likely to perform and the longer it will last but only if looked after properly.

If it was me I would have to have a look at the Karrimor eVent jackets before making a decision.

There's nothing more likely to ruin your time outdoors than being wet and cold.

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 22:18:39, 25/05/16 »
Tight is generally good.  Big gap at your waist means wind gets under it, and you'll get cold.  Unless you are a big lad, or intend to move around in several layers in extremely poor conditions, then I'd go for a large.

£199 to £50 for an event jacket is decent.  The amount of care is minimal. Unless you are holding out for a bargain Kjus jacket, this is going to be as good as it gets for an outer layer, and probably do you a good few years.  Not to mention the resale on event gear is quite good on ebay if you want to upgrade it if you really get in to your outdoors stuff.

Peter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 09:59:41, 26/05/16 »
Can I suggest you actually consider the purpose of clothing.
Insulation. You only need enough to protect against the ambient temperature. If you are stood at the car in t shirt then that is enough.
Rain. You need something to mitigate rain, hence a simple waterproof.
Wind. Winds are cooling, but wind chill can be mitigated by a windproof 'shirt'. It wont add insulation so you don't get hotter.

My overall point is that we carry too many 'heavy'' items of clothing. Especially coats.

Peter
sometimes I fall off the learning curve....
Join: Yorkshire Dales Walking Buddies
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1783012625307

wobblyknees

« Reply #39 on: 10:23:18, 26/05/16 »
The fact it takes a lot of care maybe puts me off eVent but i suppose im just being lazy.

If it was me I would have to have a look at the Karrimor eVent jackets before making a decision.

I've worn Rab Bergen Event jacket and pants for years. I only wash them once in a "blue moon" (simply throw in washing machine with any soap - not detergent) and have not had any problems with them.

I'd seriously consider the Karrimor eVent jacket at that price.  

Donnie

« Reply #40 on: 10:22:03, 27/05/16 »
Im in the same boat re a jacket and after googling the heck out of those karrimor ones found the following which doesnt make good reading so ill be steering clear! http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/gear/karrimor--branded-event-waterproof-for-less-than-100/51829-4.html

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: 12:11:55, 27/05/16 »
Im in the same boat re a jacket and after googling the heck out of those karrimor ones found the following which doesnt make good reading so ill be steering clear! http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/gear/karrimor--branded-event-waterproof-for-less-than-100/51829-4.html

I saw that thread and personally think it needs taking with a pinch of salt. It would be silly to discount them based mostly on what is one persons moaning as you will find that with almost any jacket discussion. The fact is that taped seams can and do come away from even the most expensive jackets and the same with velcro fasteners. Both are easy and simple DIY repairs to fix should they ever need doing.

The only real way to know is to go and have a close look yourself particularly now that you know what areas to look at. If you're still not happy after that then fair enough.

You can't reasonably expect a budget jacket to have anywhere near as good a build quality as those costing 3 or 4 times or more. The bargain here is in the performance of the eVent fabric they're made from and none of the other budget jackets mentioned here can hold a candle to that.

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 13:30:44, 27/05/16 »
I bought a great jacket.  I posted nothing on forums, anywhere, and posted no reviews to say it was great.  There are always a few moaners, and more importantly, there -are always- products which fail.

At the end of the day, you are buying an item vastly reduced in cost compared to some alternatives using similar materials, at something like a quarter to a sixth of the cost.  There is no such thing as a free lunch, and therefore you are going to have to deal with corners cut in the manufacturing process.  If the quality, craftsmanship and materials were all top quality, we wouldn't be talking about a bargain item and instead they would be sold out.

Peter's comment is a fair one, a lot of the time you just do not need huge coats, and can get away with a lighter jacket which is going to give you water resistance, with your layers keeping you warm.  Since you are starting walking this time of year in the UK, I'd suggest investing most of your funds in a good base layer, and a decent, wind resistant softshell with a DWR coating.  Stick a microfleece in your bag for camping/unexpected turns in the weather, or if you need some extra warmth.  You can get a decent soft shell with a hood for £70-100 from Rab, and potentially from eBay for around half that.  You will keep this item for longer than you would an event jacket you can stand in the shower and stay dry in.

dungie203

« Reply #43 on: 16:54:38, 27/05/16 »
Thanks guys. Looks like i may have to hold off a while longer, i sold some stuff on ebay but have still to be paid  :( If i do get paid for it then ill for sure go take a look at the Karimoor eVent jacket.

Thanks again guys :)

dungie203

« Reply #44 on: 10:11:09, 02/07/16 »
Hey guys, been busy for a while and trying to raise some cash but i am finally in a position to get the rest of my gear :)

Going to Sports Direct tomorow to see if they have a Karrimor Pioneer eVent jacket in stock to look at. My cousin said it does not mention on the description whether it has taped seams or not so i emailed them but got no reply so ill go and look tomorrow.

Are taped seams a must?

If i dont like the Karrimor im gonna just go for the Craghoppers Reaction Lite i think, its cheap, decent reviews and should do me for a while.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy