Author Topic: Glencoe walks  (Read 2113 times)

henryb

• Veteran Member
Glencoe walks
« on: 19:43:03, 25/05/16 »
I've always wanted to visit Glencoe but I don't have a head for heights. Narrow ridges/steep drops/strong sense of exposure whilst walking a ridge - I would avoid these areas at all costs. I would also prefer to avoid scree slopes. Therefore, Aonach Eagach would be out of bounds. I was wondering if there were any other hills or mountains in Glencoe which would be a straightforward walk which would avoid the difficulties stated above? Thanks, Henry

sparnel

• Veteran Member
Re: Glencoe walks
« Reply #1 on: 20:17:01, 25/05/16 »
Hi HenryB   -    have just read your email.  There are lots of walks in and around Glencoe which don't involve climbing, ridges, scrambling. One which has been suggested for the second day of the June forum meet, is the circuit round Buachaille Etive Beag, the Wee Buachaille.  This goes up one glen and down another, circumnavigating the mountain massiff.  it is a straightforward walk on a good path.
The aforementioned mountain is also one of the easiest Munros to climb. It is very straightforward to do.
Part of the West Highland Way passes thru Glencoe and this can be walked with no great difficulty.
There are quite a few handbooks on walks in the Glenoce area.
Trust you can make it up here...........the June meet would be a great chance to explore the area with great company!  Think about coming along...........trust this is helpful.

Sparnel

MoelPysgod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 23:39:30, 25/05/16 »
I spouted at some length about this in a recent post on this board but the summit of Beinn a' Chrulaiste is a superb place to be. It's just a walk all the way, up occasionally steep grassy slopes. As well as offering utterly superb views all round, it's also the best viewpoint for Glencoe's star attraction, Buichaille Etive Mor. Chrulaiste isn't properly "in" Glencoe, it sort of sits sentinel at the eastern end. Walkhighlands has a route description, and I wrote about it in a recent thread which I think had the mountain's name in the title.

Buichaille Etive Beag is the only other mountain I've climbed in the area, and can vouch for Sparnel's claims. It's a cracker.

sparnel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 08:18:10, 26/05/16 »
Right Henry..............are you going to be joining us for the June meet then? You won't be disappointed.
Glencoe is a great place to do some walking; you've been given a variety of walks - let's do it!

henryb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 17:48:46, 26/05/16 »
Hi Sparnel, sorry I can't make June as I've already made plans to walk the Trossachs then. Thanks very much for this information on the area, it is very helpful. Hope you get decent weather next month

MoelPysgod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 17:58:56, 26/05/16 »
Rather than start a new thread, thought I'd seek advice here. I'll hopefully be in Glencoe this weekend, aiming to climb Bidean and the big Bookle. I'll stay at the Red Squirrel site on Saturday so I can partake of an ale at the Clachaig, a place I've only visited fleetingly, but would like to camp wild on Sunday. However the map isn't exactly brimming with obvious spots. The Lost Valley looks a good bet though, can anybody confirm this? Would be a good place to drop kit before climbing Bidean. Any other decent spots, not next to the road? I did fancy camping at the bealach between the big and wee Buichailles but unsure it'll go.

MoelPysgod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 17:59:51, 26/05/16 »
Nope, meant the bealach between BEB and Bidean.

sparnel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 19:00:20, 26/05/16 »
Hello Moel..........the Lost Valley is a great place to camp. I've done that a couple of times. You can expect others there as well as it is popular.   Yes, you can climb Bidean from there easily enough. Just go up to the bealach & turn right. You can also do the other Munro to the left if you so desire.
The Clachaig will be heaving on Sat night - bank holiday w'end. Go early if you want to eat there. Oh, there will be a live band playing as well. Have a great time..............weather looking vy good.

henryb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 22:27:59, 26/05/16 »
Just one other question - anyone know of guest houses/hotels/ B & B's in Glencoe which would be on the citylink  bus route service 914? Thanks, Henry

sparnel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 19:52:47, 27/05/16 »
Have a look at www.discoverglencoe.scot I think there may be accomm providers there.  If you give me your dates I could ask around for you. All the ones in Glencoe village are only c100metres from the bus stop.
Try Yatter Whaup Croft; Glencoe Hotel; Dunsire.
Sparnel

MoelPysgod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 12:23:04, 28/05/16 »
Thanks Sparnel, I appreciate your help. Sadly it'll have to wait - I woke up late today, two hours after my train had departed. Hmm. I'm about to head  off to the Rhinogs in Wales now instead. What an idiot...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy