Author Topic: Midges: your best advice for deterring them please  (Read 10004 times)

keithie

Re: Midges: your best advice for deterring them please
« Reply #30 on: 00:32:23, 28/05/16 »
my received wisdom here is in three parts :

1. smidge
2. dont go in summer
3. ginger (eat so your sweat/odour exudes ginger)

My preference is to take bottles of 'Blandford Fly' beer ...have a few each night and then next day the flies wont wanna know you.

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 13:22:03, 28/05/16 »
Oddly enough, having just got to the top of Cnicht yesterday, midge attack unit "A" squadron descended, the smidge went on but in kamikaze style they just got stuck to it. A short hop over to the north top, no midges.
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

redeye

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 17:56:20, 28/05/16 »
Try this. Works a treat down under and I've used it in the UK and its worked for me. Just got back from OZ where we purchased a couple more sprays for this summer 😎 http://www.bushman-repellent.com/index.html

alewife

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 18:02:39, 28/05/16 »
Try this. Works a treat down under and I've used it in the UK and its worked for me. Just got back from OZ where we purchased a couple more sprays for this summer 😎 http://www.bushman-repellent.com/index.html

Bushman repellent for use 'down under', eh? :-X

;D

Cheers, Andy. I will check it out. (Hope you had a great trip O0).
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

Cnicht

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 12:07:29, 30/05/16 »
Nothing works for me I end up looking like I have chicken pox lol

kkm

« Reply #35 on: 16:00:25, 30/05/16 »
I used a lemon shower gel on the kids when they were younger.... Jungle formula for me...

Roobarb

« Reply #36 on: 17:45:02, 01/06/16 »
Well I live on South Uist and the midges haven't killed me yet! I use a midge net maybe four or five times a year if I absolutely have to be in a midgey place (a sheltered spot on a calm muggy day). I really can't be bothered smearing on stuff that just doesn't work.
On the Western Isles you can usually find a bit of breeze which will keep you safe. If it is really windless and muggy then head to the beach.

Nobody has mentioned the clegs (horse flies)... midge bites are annoying but cleg bites hurt like hell and there is nothing that keeps them away!

Andy

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 18:29:28, 01/06/16 »
Did n't see may Midges the other weekend, around Fort William area, or Skye.  Also noted no May flies etc in the garden at home in Cornwall, so far this year.  So hopefully they're late hatching out or there just aren't so many about this year.  Here's to hoping.  :) 

alewife

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 20:48:09, 01/06/16 »

Nobody has mentioned the clegs (horse flies)... midge bites are annoying but cleg bites hurt like hell and there is nothing that keeps them away!

Andy

Oh, no, not more beasties. I'm pretty prone to horsefly bites, usually get a pretty sever reaction. I will just have to keep covered up from neck to toes with long sleeves. They are evil.
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

ljmeerkat75

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 08:30:40, 02/06/16 »
Take extra vitamin B my wife Helen used to be a walking buffet to midges and insects when a friend who holidays in Scotland told me about the insects don't bite if you take high dose of vit b now instead of being bitten 20 times she only gets a bite or two if she is unlucky not sure how it works but my best guess is vit b raise's your metabolism and as insects have such a high metabolism/ lifespan they must smell in your sweat that you are a "killer meal" and leave you alone

craftycarper

« Reply #40 on: 00:07:58, 04/06/16 »
25 g of golden Virginia, they can't stand it

alewife

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: 08:59:22, 04/06/16 »
25 g of golden Virginia, they can't stand it

Neither could I ???

:)
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 15:41:09, 04/06/16 »
Take extra vitamin B ....

That's an interesting one - I've not heard of that before and, after a quick google of the benefits of taking a vitamin B complex, I think I'm gonna give it a go.

... there's also the thought that low vitamin B12 is associated with iron deficiency so maybe the midges don't like a high level of it cos it makes them too heavy to fly  :D   ;)   :-\

Cnicht

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 22:28:31, 04/06/16 »
Well I live on South Uist and the midges haven't killed me yet! I use a midge net maybe four or five times a year if I absolutely have to be in a midgey place (a sheltered spot on a calm muggy day). I really can't be bothered smearing on stuff that just doesn't work.
On the Western Isles you can usually find a bit of breeze which will keep you safe. If it is really windless and muggy then head to the beach.

Andy

Those Horse flies are flipping awful! I've been bitten by them before, they are sneaky little blighters 😡

Doddy

« Reply #44 on: 10:21:34, 10/06/16 »
I love Scotland, but +1 for avoiding the midges but not going hiking /camping there May to Sept. When picking a camp site I stand still for a few minutes to see if any bugs turn up. If they do I move on, elevation and a breeze puts them off

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy