Author Topic: Wildfire on North East Lake District fells  (Read 2145 times)

Lakeland Lorry

Wildfire on North East Lake District fells
« on: 09:49:35, 01/06/16 »
Not that any of you would do such a stupid thing, but this is what happens when you chuck a hot portable BBQ onto the very dry bracken:

http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/latest/Firefighters-continue-to-tackle-Cumbria-Lake-District-wildfire-a3ea7deb-1e75-4356-9c61-d21bd53fb458-ds

I was out on Grisdale Pike last night and could see all the smoke drifting down the valley between Skiddaw and Blencathra covering Keswick.

Andies

• Veteran Member
Re: Wildfire on North East Lake District fells
« Reply #1 on: 17:13:57, 01/06/16 »
Idiots IMHO  >:(

It's a fantastic area and just where I parked last September for a round of some Northern Fells. 

I'm always pleased to return from a walk and find the motor more or less where I left it, but it just goes to show that almost anything could happen  ::)

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:23:01, 01/06/16 »
Idiots IMHO  >:(

It's a fantastic area and just where I parked last September for a round of some Northern Fells. 

I'm always pleased to return from a walk and find the motor more or less where I left it, but it just goes to show that almost anything could happen  ::)

Yers, there's some right dozy burgers out there... Nesting time's really not a good time for a fire like this..
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:12:06, 01/06/16 »
We were out on Skiddaw yesterday when we spotted it. It got significantly worse quite quickly because of the high winds.  >:(

Rhino

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 20:17:25, 03/06/16 »
And today the black scar left by the fire

Wainwrights Completed 12/12/15

J0J0

« Reply #5 on: 08:07:27, 29/07/16 »
This must have been what we saw, we were up Grisedale that day and I couldn't get my bearings as to were it was coming from, but assumed it was a farmer burning something. Plonkers, shouldn't be allowed on the fells if they don't know how to treat them!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy