Author Topic: Esbit maths stove issues  (Read 4155 times)

Doddy

Re: Esbit maths stove issues
« Reply #15 on: 08:55:17, 28/06/16 »
You can ultra light with brolly (See Ray Jardine) they can be a useful piece of kit- windbreak, tarp end, kitchen, sunshade :-)
I lightweighted a big stretch on the Appalachian Trail with a brolly (through two hurricane rain spins)-narrowly missed Mary Poppins as a trail name.
Admittedly now only on day hikes do I carry a brolly. I use a ZPacks poncho as rain wear and camp with a TarpTent Notch and if necessary cook sheltered by the vestibule -though rarely in it.
« Last Edit: 08:59:04, 28/06/16 by Doddy »

Sooz52

« Reply #16 on: 11:00:02, 28/06/16 »
The brolly is an interesting idea. I googled Ray Jardine and found the website - couldn't see anything about brollies though.
I also use the TarpTent Notch.
I'm also considering how much effort or weight to put into the possibility of rain versus the likelihood of persistant rain in 8-10 weeks in the Spanish Pyrenees from end July.

Doddy

« Reply #17 on: 16:38:55, 28/06/16 »
Ray Jardine wrote Beyond Backpacking, I read it in 2004 and it set me off backpacking lightweight having not done any with a traditional heavy pack; therefore I didn't have to replace gear to get light, though I have since to get lighter.
The book has been updated and is well worth a read. I know from discussions I had in the US he is not universally respected as he does give basics and can be accused of treating us as know nowts. I re read bits of the book all the time as it is so useful.

Our man Nicholas Crane on the TV Coast is a brolly devotee. As said before I use a brolly at times and stating the obvious you just don't get wet, no problem with ventilation, whereas all other rain gear gets wet but endeavours to keep you dry inside.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy