Author Topic: The benefits of poles  (Read 18488 times)

NeilC

• Veteran Member
Re: The benefits of poles
« Reply #75 on: 11:55:26, 10/12/16 »
I find they make my hands cold in winter and gloves don't help it. Something about having my hands horizontal for longer.

Lolly

« Reply #76 on: 12:15:25, 28/12/16 »
I used my poles for the first time on Boxing Day, after faffing around with the height, i've got them set so they are comfortable, but they make my arms ache. Is this normal and will it stop after a while when i'm used to using them? I have fibro and MCTD and I did find them very good  ;)
Aiming high - one step at a time

quixoticgeek

« Reply #77 on: 12:17:54, 28/12/16 »
I used my poles for the first time on Boxing Day, after faffing around with the height, i've got them set so they are comfortable, but they make my arms ache. Is this normal and will it stop after a while when i'm used to using them? I have fibro and MCTD and I did find them very good  ;)

You're using muscles that you don't normally use, so they will ache a bit at first. Once you get used to it, the aches should stop.

J
--
Http://b.42q.eu/ - Beer, Bikes and Backpacking.

Lolly

« Reply #78 on: 12:26:54, 28/12/16 »

You're using muscles that you don't normally use, so they will ache a bit at first. Once you get used to it, the aches should stop.

J

Smashing, thank you. I didn't know if I had been using them wrong!!!  O0

quixoticgeek

« Reply #79 on: 12:32:21, 28/12/16 »
Smashing, thank you. I didn't know if I had been using them wrong!!!  O0

There are several different ways to use walking poles, and it's often a case that you will use different methods at different times on the same walk.

On the flat I tend to use mine in a method akin to Nordic Walking. On steep up, I will shorten them right down, or even just hold them lower, to use them as levers to pull myself up. On descents I use them as extra legs to lower myself down. Others use their poles different to me. There is no right answer.

J
--
Http://b.42q.eu/ - Beer, Bikes and Backpacking.

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #80 on: 12:35:16, 28/12/16 »
I would also make sure you are not gripping the poles too tightly. Loop your hands from underneath with just a couple of fingers on the hand grip, the strap should be taking the weight, works for myself and swmbo anyway  :)
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

Lolly

« Reply #81 on: 12:52:24, 28/12/16 »
I would also make sure you are not gripping the poles too tightly. Loop your hands from underneath with just a couple of fingers on the hand grip, the strap should be taking the weight, works for myself and swmbo anyway  :)

I do think i'll have to you tube to make sure i'm holding them correctly! thank you  O0

Lolly

« Reply #82 on: 12:53:37, 28/12/16 »

There are several different ways to use walking poles, and it's often a case that you will use different methods at different times on the same walk.

On the flat I tend to use mine in a method akin to Nordic Walking. On steep up, I will shorten them right down, or even just hold them lower, to use them as levers to pull myself up. On descents I use them as extra legs to lower myself down. Others use their poles different to me. There is no right answer.

J

I did feel that they were very useful coming down hills, I felt a tadge safer with them than without!  O0

altirando

• Veteran Member
« Reply #83 on: 19:29:36, 28/12/16 »
And as to length, adjust them so that with your upper arm by your side, fore arm horizontal, elbow at right angles you have a comfortable grip which as commented means thumb and finger tips more than a totally clasped hand.  Thick side of palm pushes down on the strap.  Shorter than you would use them for xc skiing.  You will probably make minimal adjustments as you get used to them.  Oh, going uphill I tend to plant mine behind my feet and shove hard against the strap. Have .actually used poles for their proper purpose, xc skiing, where active length needs to be longer and a full arm swing needed.  Great fun if you fancy a different winter holiday, not least for the excuse to glug lots of gluwein.

Lolly

« Reply #84 on: 09:19:54, 29/12/16 »
Thanks for that, i'll keep faffing no doubt until I get the hang of them!!!

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #85 on: 10:21:51, 29/12/16 »
 As said,the aches are caused by muscles having to do more work than they are used to.Poles,when used properly,put a high demand on the triceps,the muscle you use when extending the arm.

This video should help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUoupdz8nLA

Lolly

« Reply #86 on: 18:02:23, 29/12/16 »
As said,the aches are caused by muscles having to do more work than they are used to.Poles,when used properly,put a high demand on the triceps,the muscle you use when extending the arm.

This video should help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUoupdz8nLA

Lovely, thank you very much  O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy