Author Topic: BARGAIN THREAD  (Read 174875 times)

jimbob

• Veteran Member
Re: BARGAIN THREAD
« Reply #900 on: 16:20:36, 01/04/21 »
Two parcels of thanks.
The Ultimate Navigation Manual by Lyle Brotherton as recommended has arrived. At a glance it us even more thorough than I could have imagined.  I will be giving it a serious studious read this week to ensure my skills are still up to scratch, even us fair weather walkers can get caught out.
Secondly thanks to  sock man, yep, having seen the feedback from others I blinded a few more moths and ordered some.
Too little, too late, too bad......

down tor

« Reply #901 on: 08:26:54, 04/04/21 »
Has any tried the Garmin topo maps on ebay for about 50 quid, I was thinking of one for my Edge Explore 1000

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #902 on: 13:33:27, 08/04/21 »
Just to mention that I have used one pair of my Solax socks for off-road running for 8 days so far, just to test how they would stand up to my daily bashing. Really good, no deterioration in the pile or cushioning, they grip my feet comfortably and no smell either. The next stage is to see how good they remain after washing them. Thanks again for the buying tip.

Kev06

« Reply #903 on: 14:53:30, 08/04/21 »
Thats good to hear! It is a similar story here, I'm pleased to say. They seemed a bit over-thick to begin with, but the loop pile settled down to normal proportions once in action and then stayed there - no sign of wearing or shedding fluff everywhere. The toe seam that I was worried about doesn't interfere when walking (in my case) either.

The only slight negative is that the thin/vented panel in the cruck of the ankle falls in an unfortunate place on one pair of boots; the laces and creases in the leather there could do without the reduction in padding. But in all my other boots it is completely fine.

There is a small oddity on the packaging: a small grey sticker has been used to cover up the registered 'wool blend performance' logo. Though why they didn't have the right to use this I've no idea, could mean something or nothing in relation to the socks themselves. But (assuming they wash OK) I'm happy with their performance, which is what matters to me :)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #904 on: Yesterday at 12:11:49 »
I bought a very nice pair of soft thin black gloves (when cold I wear them inside my mittens) yesterday at Decathlon, they are well made, the stitching looks strong, and like this morning they are ideal for me when I choose to run early and there's a nip in the air, only 1.99.