Author Topic: sweat or water getting through?  (Read 1673 times)

henryb

• Veteran Member
sweat or water getting through?
« on: 20:08:38, 17/07/16 »
I bought this pair of boots last week: http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/salomon-mens-quest-prime-gtx-boot-b1122959?id_colour=1023. I wore them today for the second time. I walked about 1.5 hours, finishing about 3pm. It was marshy terrain. The soles of both socks are damp especially the right sock. How do I tell the difference between sweat and water getting through? If it is sweat, should the socks be dry after 1-2 hours? If the sock is still damp 5 hours later, would that imply the boot isn't waterproof?

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
Re: sweat or water getting through?
« Reply #1 on: 21:09:48, 17/07/16 »
You could try thoroughly drying out insides of the boots then put a layer or two of kitchen paper towel down inside and stand the boots in a washing up bowl of water for a while at a similar depth to that which you have been walking through. If they're leaking at all the paper towel should show it.

youradvocate

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 09:01:08, 18/07/16 »
I had a similar problem. I tried to put my Keen Targee 2 boots in a bowl of water but they kept toppling over and I could not find an easy way to hold them down into the water either. I solved the problem by removing the liners and placing them on top of my wheely bin in the garden. I then filled each boot to the top with water and waited......................, within a couple of minutes water was oozing out from various places from both boots. This showed me that my books leaked rather than just being a problem of sweaty feet.

I have solved the problem (not sure if it is permanent or temporary) by pressing in silicon glue (from Halfords £4.99) all along the seams and along the join between sole and uppers. I am still furious to be sold such lemons and even more furious (I should have know better) at the 'erberts' who write as unbiased and independent testers, who recommended these boots as No 1 buy. Also the soles are really dangerous on slippery flat or irregular surfaces, on a recent hike I slipped and fell four times on wet Pennine Way slabs.

happyhiker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 12:16:28, 18/07/16 »
 I am still furious to be sold such lemons and even more furious (I should have know better) at the 'erberts' who write as unbiased and independent testers, who recommended these boots as No 1 buy. Also the soles are really dangerous on slippery flat or irregular surfaces, on a recent hike I slipped and fell four times on wet Pennine Way slabs.

Because of my website I sometimes get asked to do equipment reviews, even though I think the site makes it pretty clear I don't do them. Your comment is one of the reasons I don't do them. I have to say that most equipment I have bought over the years has disappointed me eventually, whether it is breathable stuff which doesn't or boots which wear out prematurely in some way, not necessarily the soles. I would hate for someone to buy because I recommended, then suffer disappointment as you have done. I suspect reviewers get free stuff and hope to get more, so give good reviews.

I think the only things which I can say, without fear or favour which have never disappointed me are rucksacks (both Berghaus and Deuter) and Rohan trousers - I have one still serviceable pair that must be 25 years old.

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 13:47:33, 18/07/16 »

I think the only things which I can say, without fear or favour which have never disappointed me are rucksacks (both Berghaus and Deuter) and Rohan trousers - I have one still serviceable pair that must be 25 years old.

And even then you couldn't be confident that if you went and bought modern equivalents that they would be same quality. Stuff is "improved" all the time.

Certainly it's impossible to take large majority of multiple product reviews remotely seriously. Look at things like a review covering a dozen boots. They almost never say how far and across what terrain the boots have been used for. So statements like "good grip" are effectively meaningless. And my thoughts on statements like "very comfortable" are best left untyped...except to say that comfort is primarily driven by whether boot is a good fit for individual wearing them...the fact that one tester finds them comfortable doesn't mean some one else will.

I admire your principle on not testing stuff. Mind you...if any manufacturer wants me to test an expensive jacket extensively...I am far less principled.

henryb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 21:07:45, 18/07/16 »
To add to this discussion - I was told in Cotswolds to take reviews with a pinch of salt because no two pairs of feet are the same. What is right for one hiker may not work for the next. I was buying meindl boots at the time which lasted 2.5 years - they should have lasted 4-5 years. Same goes for base layer tops - as a heavy sweater - the cheapest tops are the best for me not the 200/260 merino wool ones which are only worn in the winter which cost £90. Sometimes buying items works contrary to logic. Berghaus overtrousers are my favourite item of clothing - always been dry :)

henryb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 20:40:58, 21/07/16 »
@ kinkyboots - I put them in water in a wash hand basin last night and the kitchen paper towel was dry after 1.5 hours. I spoke to Cotswolds today who agreed that it must have been sweat last week-end. It was also 25-30 degrees which won't happen every time. Thanks for these suggestions, think I'll stick with Salomon for the time being

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 20:45:48, 21/07/16 »
Good to know as I think I'm going to buy a pair tomorrow  O0

Thanks for reporting back  :)
Where there's a will ...

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 21:09:28, 21/07/16 »
As well as the boots being waterproof if only the soles of your socks were damp it also shows the boots are quite breathable and the goretex was doing it's job as best it could under the circumstances. Regular cleaning and reproofing with a suitable waterproofing spray should keep it that way.

You might also want to consider carrying a spare pair of socks and changing them half way along your walk. As well as being refreshing and making a massive difference to your foot comfort it also helps to prevent any blisters forming in the damp environment.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy