Author Topic: Swimming in Wastwater?  (Read 10676 times)

Scrambledlegs

Swimming in Wastwater?
« on: 20:12:44, 19/07/16 »
Does it matter if you're a particularly strong swimmer to do a lake swim here? Im confident on pool lengths and I'm getting in for sure but I've never done it before. Been looking for a new adventure. I've seen this as a calm, predictable lake from observation and from knee depth the temperature doesn't seem like it'll be too daunting. I can't see any obvious current danger but it would be handy to know if there's any known risks to avoid? Planning on getting in from the road side and taking it from there. Anyone had a dip who can offer a good entry position to test the waters?

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Swimming in Wastwater?
« Reply #1 on: 20:41:26, 19/07/16 »
I can tell you it is awful deep. I have been down to 150ft in it and the bottom was still going down fast. I do not recall any current issues but it shelves very rapidly in places and while the surface layer may wam up there is a very pronounced thermocline not far below the surface that could cause you to get into difficulties.
Solvitur Ambulando

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 09:49:32, 20/07/16 »
I can tell you it is awful deep.

I understand it's the deepest lake in England - 243 feet

The Lake District National Park website has an information page about swimming in the lakes:
http://www.lakedistrict.gov.uk/visiting/thingstodo/water/swimming
Skip

Scrambledlegs

« Reply #3 on: 19:32:49, 20/07/16 »
I can tell you it is awful deep. I have been down to 150ft in it and the bottom was still going down fast. I do not recall any current issues but it shelves very rapidly in places and while the surface layer may wam up there is a very pronounced thermocline not far below the surface that could cause you to get into difficulties.

That's amazing! I'd love to be able to dive one day it must be like an alternative world? Id like to get my confidence up just to do some outdoor swimming and make the most of the places we go for now. I have no idea why I'm so drawn to starting off here. Maybe how beautiful it was the first time I saw it just a month ago? I've never been so surprised in my life.  If current is no issue I should be fine to stay afloat and i'll make sure I'm not relying on what's below me to support my weight. My hubby is insisting on wetsuits and I'm inclined to think that's a good idea now Thank you for the info. I might still test the waters a little as it would seem rude not to have a little dip.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 01:13:54, 21/07/16 »
That's amazing! I'd love to be able to dive one day it must be like an alternative world? Id like to get my confidence up just to do some outdoor swimming and make the most of the places we go for now. I have no idea why I'm so drawn to starting off here. Maybe how beautiful it was the first time I saw it just a month ago? I've never been so surprised in my life.  If current is no issue I should be fine to stay afloat and i'll make sure I'm not relying on what's below me to support my weight. My hubby is insisting on wetsuits and I'm inclined to think that's a good idea now Thank you for the info. I might still test the waters a little as it would seem rude not to have a little dip.

Actually it was fairly dull, just a scree slope dropping away rapidly with very few fish. We used to use it in the good old days to introduce sports divers to deep diving because it got deep close inshore and the visibility wasn't too bad.  It was a very atmospheric place to dive though.
Solvitur Ambulando

alewife

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 09:20:43, 21/07/16 »
I have swum a lot in open water in my younger days and would actually swim pretty much anywhere. As long as you are a strong and confident swimmer, have some company and proceed with caution I can't see a problem. I don't know where you're getting into the water but be mindful of getting out again, especially knowing what will be under your feet when you first put your feet down to exit onto the bank - you can often launch yourself in without too much standing on the bottom but you can't launch yourself back out again and there may be all sorts lurking on the bank to ruin your day. This also applies if you're getting out in a different place to where you got in. If your swimming across any stretch bear in mind it never looks as far as it ismso don't be afraid to change your mind and swim back. I hope you enjoy it.
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

- Dave -

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 14:37:04, 21/07/16 »
There is a gnome garden at the bottom of Wastwater. Believe it or not

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-cumbria-20066683
I'm on the internet!

Check out my blog here:

http://allthegearbutnoidea.blogspot.co.uk

214/214 Wainwrights

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 17:52:58, 21/07/16 »
Believe it or not

I do! It's a great story :)
Skip

keithie

« Reply #8 on: 10:34:39, 22/07/16 »
I know nothing about Wastwater specifcally other than that I was there at the end of May this year. Clear still day and it was mirror calm (eventually I will post my blog with the pics) and looked beautiful.

I also know pretty much nowt about diving, but I know soneone who knows a bit about swimming (friend of a friend, former US Olympian swimmer) and I gleaned that in some lakes you can get 'cold water sink holes' which, if you're unlucky/stupid can effectively drag you down to your doom!

I dont know if Wastwater has these. You might be tempted to assume not since it's on the Nat Parks site (link gven in earlier post in this thread) as swimmsble. If it were me I'd check (pro) local knowledge first!

Scrambledlegs

« Reply #9 on: 20:25:35, 22/07/16 »
Thank you for taking the time to put the links and info on here for me. It was much appreciated and I've had a good look through. I'm fairly certain I'm ready to do this and I'll be under the watchful eye of my other half. Think it'll be a good while before I set my own eyes on the gnomes but I have had a look at some images online. Unbelievable! They seem to have had their own Xmas tree provided for them?. Awesome stuff really. I can't wait to head off for a few days without the kids I'm counting down the minutes already.

J0J0

« Reply #10 on: 07:54:57, 29/07/16 »
Hi All,

I was up at Angle Tarn last weekend and was surprised at the amount of 'wild swimmers' either wearing costumes and bikinis or wet suits.
I was wondering if anyone had any tips for swimming in the tarns in the Lakes -I was wondering due to the amount of swimmers there,  if perhaps Angle Tarn is a particularly shallow one to swim? I'm not the strongest swimmer but my partner is and I'm particularly short so would need one that didn't drop off too steeply or I wouldn't be able to get out! :-[

We travel all around the lakes and are there for a weekend at least every 6 weeks so any suggestion welcome. Thanks in advance.

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 10:48:19, 29/07/16 »
Hi All,

I was up at Angle Tarn last weekend and was surprised at the amount of 'wild swimmers' either wearing costumes and bikinis or wet suits.
I was wondering if anyone had any tips for swimming in the tarns in the Lakes -I was wondering due to the amount of swimmers there,  if perhaps Angle Tarn is a particularly shallow one to swim? I'm not the strongest swimmer but my partner is and I'm particularly short so would need one that didn't drop off too steeply or I wouldn't be able to get out! :-[

We travel all around the lakes and are there for a weekend at least every 6 weeks so any suggestion welcome. Thanks in advance.
Hello JoJo,
Nor sure this is something the folks on here are known for swimming in tarns. You'll see a note above from ninthace about Wastwater - that may be of use if you head there again. I haven't done it myself but from swimming elsewhere my only two obvious notes are; i) expect the water to be very cold and ii)  As well as swimming I just floated for ages - looking at the view and when I got out I had been bitten all over by some insect(s) or other, especially on my back.
Possibly either or both of these explain the wet suits !
I have read of people who made a point of swimming in every tarn in the Lake District and also (but not the same people) some who simply ditched their clothes and jumped in (usually after a very hot days walking). They say that if you do this and get out of the water and put your clothes back on, without drying yourself with a towel first, you dry quickly as do the damp clothes. Not sure I'd trust this but supposedly saves you bothering with a towel.
Good luck & have fun.
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

J0J0

« Reply #12 on: 11:11:41, 29/07/16 »
Thank you Innominate Man.....no point in asking your favourite tarn (and beautiful it most certainly is!) I don't like the idea of getting bitten but I'm defo not a wetsuit person, think I'll just make the jump and go for it, we always take the boots off and have a nice paddle but have never gotten down to anything less than that!

Dalesman

« Reply #13 on: 19:00:34, 29/07/16 »
Does it matter if you're a particularly strong swimmer to do a lake swim here? Im confident on pool lengths and I'm getting in for sure but I've never done it before. Been looking for a new adventure. I've seen this as a calm, predictable lake from observation and from knee depth the temperature doesn't seem like it'll be too daunting. I can't see any obvious current danger but it would be handy to know if there's any known risks to avoid? Planning on getting in from the road side and taking it from there. Anyone had a dip who can offer a good entry position to test the waters?

I've had a good swim in Wastwater at least twice. In-between the months of May-July. Even then very cold, I probably ventured about half way across. I was just wearing a pair of shorts and some (cheap) wet suit shoes. Its an ace feeling. Ideal way to sooth tired limbs after a walk!! Enjoy!
Completed the 214 on 23/04/15

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 23:27:50, 29/07/16 »
Thank you Innominate Man.....no point in asking your favourite tarn (and beautiful it most certainly is!) I don't like the idea of getting bitten but I'm defo not a wetsuit person, think I'll just make the jump and go for it, we always take the boots off and have a nice paddle but have never gotten down to anything less than that!
Aha ! you'd be wrong - I probably don't have a specific favourite (there are far too many great locations) although I am drawn to Lanty's Tarn near Patterdale more than most. Some are downright dreary places.
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy