Author Topic: Towels for Hiking?  (Read 2042 times)

youradvocate

• Veteran Member
Towels for Hiking?
« on: 10:57:04, 22/07/16 »
I have used a lightweight towel for a couple of years and its 'good enough', it packs small and so on but mine does tend to smell after a while. I was reading yesterday that the 'best' towels for hiking are linen towels. Anybody have views about this?

wobblyknees

Re: Towels for Hiking?
« Reply #1 on: 11:43:13, 22/07/16 »
I find the lightweight polyester towels that come on offer in Aldi from time to time quite good for hiking and general travel. Light, packable and quick drying. Have never had an odor problem.

FWIW I seem to get longer out of a linen shirt than a cotton shirt before I notice underarm odor.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 12:40:02, 22/07/16 »
Try contacting Buffalo, as some years ago they sold a Pertex designed towel that was simply amazing at collecting water.
Its drying time was quicker than Usain Bolt as well.
Whether they still sell them, i am not too sure, but Pertex is probably the best synthetic material for a travellers towel.

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 13:01:59, 22/07/16 »
Try contacting Buffalo, as some years ago they sold a Pertex designed towel that was simply amazing at collecting water.
Its drying time was quicker than Usain Bolt as well.
Whether they still sell them, i am not too sure, but Pertex is probably the best synthetic material for a travellers towel.

Possibly this one??? http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/buffalo-beach-towel-e2c12001?id_colour=98
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 13:05:33, 22/07/16 »
That's the one, but blimey, i do not remember it being this expensive.
By what i could gather, Buffalo wanted just under £10 for it, but it was some time ago, and i am sure if one did a search, you could get that price down quite a bit.

Pertex is still one of the best materials for water removal.

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 13:21:36, 22/07/16 »
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 13:28:20, 22/07/16 »
This might have been the one, but it was some years ago i saw Buffalo advertising them, and back then i do not remember there being too different sizes.
Either way, for the traveller looking for a very long lasting and effective towel, you could do a lot worse than getting one of these.
My original Buffalo windshirt is well over 25yrs old, a bit faded in colour, but it still performs like when it was new.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy