Author Topic: Tullymore and Donard Forest walk  (Read 1239 times)

henryb

• Veteran Member
Tullymore and Donard Forest walk
« on: 14:17:44, 24/07/16 »
With some forecasters predicting a cloudy day yesterday, I decided my walk was going to be a low level linear walk through Tullymore and Donard Forest. Leaving Newcastle bus station at 10am, I boarded the Mourne rambler bus, travelling to Tullymore mountain centre. The route was mostly on forest tracks. Leaving Tullymore mountain centre, I followed the Shimna river to a small lake in the forest which offered reflections of nearby trees. After leaving the lake I followed the track towards the Curraghhard viewpoint; pleasant views were offered of Slievenamaddy ridge. After leaving Tullymore I headed towards Donard forest noticing quite extensive deforestation en route. Upon entering Donard forest a short walk took me to Donard park. After lunch, I returned to the car park via the main street in Newcastle. Total distance was just over 11km, taking around 3 hours. 

Tullymore river:

Shimna river:

Shimna river:

Shimna river:

Shimna river:

Tullymore river:

Lake reflections:

Tullymore lake reflections:

View towards Slievenamaddy:

Tullymore forest:

View towards Slievenaglogh ridge from Tullymore:

View towards Newcastle after leaving Tullymore forest:

Shimna River going out to Irish Sea:

View towards Slieve Donard, Northern Ireland's highest peak:

Newcastle beach/Irish Sea:

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
Re: Tullymore and Donard Forest walk
« Reply #1 on: 16:46:54, 24/07/16 »
Thanks Henry. Great pics and I've always enjoyed your posts of the Mournes. My late brother in law took up walking in the Mournes at the tender age of 77 and always raved about the views, so through your pics I'm able to appreciate what he saw.

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 16:53:05, 24/07/16 »
That looks really nice Henry.  Love the shots of the river at the start of your walk  O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

henryb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:41:11, 24/07/16 »
@ Penygadair, thanks very much; there are some great views in the Mournes; my favourites would be Silent Valley from Doan, the view from the back castles of Binnian, Eagle mountain and Slievemartin.
@ sunnydale, thanks very much. For me the rivers are the most interesting feature in Tullymore forest. Other famous rivers would be the red moss river, Glen river, Annalong river and river beside Chimney Rock O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy