Author Topic: Runner enjoying walking more and more... greetings from Ilfracombe  (Read 782 times)

phookaphooks

Hello all, I have just joined these forums since I am planning a run-walk through Dartmoor this weekend, and most of the resources I've looked for seem to be pointing towards this site! :D

So, hello all. I consider myself more of a runner than a walker - but bearing in mind that my fav distances are ultras - I walk loads and therefore I will be posting / checking posts in these very forums :)

Cheers!

David

youradvocate

• Veteran Member
Hello from Portsmouth. I too am a runner when at home and a walker when I go away. I had 4 month break this year due to an operation. It was really hard to get going again but I plodded on and nearly back to where I want to be. I'm off on a 2-3 week hike soon, when I return it will be interesting to find out if I can get back to running quicker this time.

phookaphooks

good luck mate - walking is (almost) as entertaining as running! :D I have an ultra in 3 weeks - then a full month of simply walking to give a respite to leegs... cheers :)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Welcome from Westmorland..............I admire people who enjoy running but for me, as a form of entertainment it leaves a lot to be desired and as a form of transport it is a non starter.   My old Warrant Officer told me officers should never run - it unsettles the men and frightens the horses. Hope you enjoy the forum - I am trying to relocate to Devon with limited success so far but if I am successful I will give you a wave as you pass.
Solvitur Ambulando

phookaphooks

Luckily I do not tend to run much around horses but I see your point ;)

I have found especially running in the Pyrenees in my homeland, that a mix of jog and walk seems to allow to cover massive distances without the impact of constant running... so this seems my future as my old age increases ;)

Ninthace, where in devon you would like to move exactly?

cheers :)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Luckily I do not tend to run much around horses but I see your point ;)

I have found especially running in the Pyrenees in my homeland, that a mix of jog and walk seems to allow to cover massive distances without the impact of constant running... so this seems my future as my old age increases ;)

Ninthace, where in devon you would like to move exactly?

cheers :)

Witheridge area if I can persuade three sets of solicitors to stop dickering and exchange contracts. It's been a nightmare.  I used to live in the Pyrenees too, on the French side near Bagneres de Luchon - fantastic walking country.
Solvitur Ambulando

youradvocate

• Veteran Member
I really admire people who can run up and down mountains. Out of my league!

phookaphooks

Ninthace - good luck, I hope this works for you ;)

And Youradvocate, to be fair, I only push uphills for short hilly races (i.e. anything between 6 to 10 miles). For longer distances, essentially I do a powerwalk then run down...

So trust me when I say that it is not so far fetched to "run" hills ;)

Cheers :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy