Author Topic: Recommendations for our first 2000 ft'er?  (Read 2543 times)

Alan_M

Recommendations for our first 2000 ft'er?
« on: 13:08:21, 06/08/16 »
Hi all,

My 9 year old son and I have only recently started venturing beyond the pavements so thought I'd join up on here to ask for a bit of advice if I may.

After sampling the views from the likes of Castlehead and Orrest Head, my son's desire to get up higher has really taken hold. So since then we've been up Castle Crag (from Rosthwaite), Helm Crag, Catbells and Maiden Moor (both from Little Town). With those in that list getting a little higher each time, we're now looking for any recommendations for something to try in the low 2k's. Obviously something suitable for novice walkers as well as avoiding any precarious ridges or edge's.

By the way, we did ponder carrying on to High Spy when we were on Maiden Moor but didn't have the time.

Thanks.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: Recommendations for our first 2000 ft'er?
« Reply #1 on: 13:20:19, 06/08/16 »
Too many choices but what about Place Fell from Patterdale, you can make it a circular walk if you carry on and drop down to the lake.

My son says Skiddaw, which is over 2000' but perhaps more over than you want.

Alan_M

« Reply #2 on: 13:32:21, 06/08/16 »
Hi Ridge, thanks for the tip, will check it out.

The likes of Skiddaw, Helvellyn etc are definitely on our to-do list but we'd like to get a fair bit more practice in before tackling the biggies.
« Last Edit: 13:42:48, 06/08/16 by Alan_M »

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:20:35, 06/08/16 »
How about the Pike O Blisco and Cold Pike round from the Three Shire Stone ?  Two great 2000ft ers and you have driven the first 1200ft ;)
Tr from when I did it with my 5yr old HERE

Alan_M

« Reply #4 on: 20:14:54, 06/08/16 »
Thanks Karl, those looks great. Will have a good browse round your website too.

Those two and Ridge's suggestion look to have sorted our next trip in a couple of weeks time. I'll let you know how we get on.

keithie

« Reply #5 on: 22:51:19, 06/08/16 »
I'm usually a pretty casual walker but with hindsight if I was to pick which mountain I would have wanted to climb first it would be Kinder Scout.

Many know it way better than me, but its not so tricky, on a clear day it's just stunning and it might be fair to describe it as the most important 'mountain' for any average English hill walker (given the history etc)

not local to you I guess ...but maybe worth considering still!

This link gives a bit of the history ..

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_trespass_of_Kinder_Scout

- Dave -

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 21:46:36, 07/08/16 »
Fleetwith Pike from Honister? Cheating I know but what views from the summit!

Tackled in the second half of this blog post:

http://allthegearbutnoidea.blogspot.co.uk/2016/01/dale-head-fleetwith-pike.html
I'm on the internet!

Check out my blog here:

http://allthegearbutnoidea.blogspot.co.uk

214/214 Wainwrights

MoelPysgod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 08:56:15, 08/08/16 »
The Old Man of Coniston. Superb mountain (and it is a proper mountain), the first I climbed and the one that got me into hillwalking.

Or,  climb Dale Head from Honister. The view northwards is just sublime. Pretty easy going, just a long-ish slog up grassy slopes, and that view remains out of sight until you get to the very top. Best summit cairn too.

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 21:02:04, 08/08/16 »
Pen Y ghent from Horton? Steep going (if you go via Bracken bottom) and a bit of very easy light scrambling at the end so a proper 'mountain' feel to it..
A splendid fell!

fat goat

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 21:52:17, 08/08/16 »
Whernside from Ribblehead. Not only do you get an easy start, excellent views, good parking and a burger van :) You get to be at the highest point in modern day Yorrkshire (even if it is in Cumbria!)
You don't scare me, I did the Amble - deliberately
www.westpennineswanderer.co.uk

henryb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 17:29:40, 09/08/16 »
Maybe this link will help: http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/wainwrights/wainwrights-height. Another vote for Dale Head here. Also, Dale Head, High Spy, Maiden Moor - in that order - was the best walk I did in the central/NW/Northern lakes.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 23:31:56, 10/08/16 »
Also, as you have a 9 year old, you will need a Wainwright chart for him to colour in as he climbs them.

sammyb

« Reply #12 on: 13:35:29, 12/08/16 »
Yes how about Coniston Old Man - you can start from the car park at the end of the road to the west of Coniston (not sure if it has a name) that gives you a head start up the mountain so you don't have to climb as much.

MoelPysgod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 21:44:24, 13/08/16 »
Sammy, that was my first walk. We went past mine workings, up a steep, rugged path, got to the top, most of the group hating every minute (we were a group of "young persons who've suffered a life-changing diagnosis" - in this case cancer - with the charity Climbing Out) and I looked down at Low Water (I think?) from the summit and went "Oh [censored], this is what I want to do". Been up the Old Man once since, and it was just as good.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy