Author Topic: My walk round Mersea Island, Essex  (Read 2526 times)

CallMeSteven

• Veteran Member
My walk round Mersea Island, Essex
« on: 08:42:11, 18/08/16 »
I'd planned to do this walk in 2013, but did not get round to do it - so finally yesterday I did it. It's a 52 car journey there from my
home in Chigwell, but I really enjoyed the 13 mile walk. The first part of the walk (I walked round counter clockwise), was wonderful. The
sea air, fresh seaweed smell and sound of the waves were wonderful  :)

However, three quarters round the island the walk was tough going. The sea breeze was gone, the path uneven and holes covered in heaps
of mowed very dry grass. Also it was really hot. I felt rather faint near the end (serves me right I should have taken more than the litre of fluid I had!)

Although the south side of the island has severe erosion it's still an easy walk as there are close nearby paths, however, how long they last is anybody's
guess as sea defence's seemed lacking. The full set of photos & videos can be found at  https://www.flickr.com/gp/redbridgerambler/TJ942p

Route by Steven Muster, on Flickr

P8170015 by Steven Muster, on Flickr

P8170051 by Steven Muster, on Flickr

P8170057 by Steven Muster, on Flickr

P8170071 by Steven Muster, on Flickr

P8170134 by Steven Muster, on Flickr

fernman

• Veteran Member
Re: My walk round Mersea Island, Essex
« Reply #1 on: 09:02:00, 18/08/16 »
Some good photos there, Steven! Is that the island that's reached by a tidal road, or is that another one? I think it's where I camped for an extended weekend a few years ago, the most expensive site I've ever stayed on, but it was packed with tents, and there was really strange music in the washrooms, it was like classical music played backwards!

DevonDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 09:05:22, 18/08/16 »
That looks like a great walk Steven.  Lovely pics as usual.

CallMeSteven

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 09:42:42, 18/08/16 »
It is a tidal road - my last photo just about captures it. My father tried to visit the island in February, but the road was closed for 45 minutes
waiting for the tide to recede  ;)    

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 10:55:38, 18/08/16 »
Looks an interesting and lovely walk Steven    :)    On recent walks on the Sussex coast I've come up against erosion and high tides.  Coastal walking on the flat isn't as easy as it looks!

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 16:57:29, 18/08/16 »
Nice photos Steven :)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

henryb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 19:03:27, 24/08/16 »
Nice photos O0

cpjmathieson

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 09:54:32, 09/09/16 »
Walked this last year, great walk!! However they dont seem to be repairing the flood defences or the path any time soon iot would appear, Great pics O0

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 17:08:45, 24/10/16 »
Very nice Steven, I've heard the name before but didn't know it looked like this. Thanks for sharing your trip with us.
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 23:11:34, 25/10/16 »
Lovely pictures CallMeSteven  :)   You can't beat that lovely, salty seaweed-y smell.

Some of your pictures remind me a little of Spurn Point (mouth of the Humber Estuary) which is also eroding away at a rate of knots and gets cut off from the mainland at high tide now. 

Thanks for posting  O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy