Author Topic: Women Solo walking  (Read 11817 times)

Haggiseater

Re: Women Solo walking
« Reply #45 on: 22:53:05, 24/08/16 »
I was helped today by a nice gent on a scary bit of Carnedd Llywelyn. To be fair  - I was doing quite a good impression of someone who was a bit crag fast at the time. He expressed a bit of disbelief when he asked if I was on my own.
But, he did concede that yes, he too was on his own.
Anyway, if you're reading - I made it to the summit safely and returned by the same route without problem ( and had a pint in my hand by seven o clock )

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #46 on: 19:35:14, 25/08/16 »
I do a fair bit of walking on my own, as other half doesn't walk if he can help it.  The hills near home are a bit wild and remote and I tend to keep longer walks into the trackless bog where there is no phone signal and lots of places to break an ankle for when friends are with me.  Easier walks are fine.  When I am back in the Yorkshire Dales (where I was brought up) or even in the Lakes I am quite happy to do much longer walks alone;  I am just a bit more careful about navigation and steep bits, and take a phone and a whistle, but there are usually people who would help if I came to grief.  As everyone says, walkers tend to be pretty friendly and helpful, and psychopaths are more likely to hang around in towns.  Mind you, I am a bit of a wimp about heights, and especially when on my own, and am fairly careful not to get onto anything I can't get off.
I've never done an LDP alone though - that's the ambition for next year.

Deolman

« Reply #47 on: 12:05:03, 03/09/16 »
I am also a solo walker though of the male variety!  Following cardiac problems last year I now use a personal tracker. There are different ones available but the one I use is SPOT Gen 3. This will generate a waypoint every 10 mins and family/friends can track me on their computers.  It also allows me to send a pre-recorded message and there is an SOS button which can be used in an emergency. (My grandchildren enjoyed following granddads progress each day when I walked the coast to coast recently!) It works using GPS so you do not require a mobile phone signal. For more information google SPOT Gen 3.

PeakRambler

« Reply #48 on: 17:56:38, 04/09/16 »
Some interesting points and tips shared.

Women walking solo, I think generally you're pretty safe, but, never say never.

I know quite a few women who walk solo, and a few who won't walk solo. I know a couple of women who will wild camp solo!

It's a difficult choice, but I know some men have had their hearts in their mouths at times....

One night on Twitter, a guy I know was wild camping, and hearing all sorts of noises outside his tent!

After a lot of teasing, he finally looked out of his tent and saw a stag, which was eating his guy lines!

Yorkshirewalker26

« Reply #49 on: 18:35:11, 04/09/16 »
I could never solo wild camp on my own, that would just be too far.

KimE

« Reply #50 on: 19:17:18, 04/09/16 »
I have never heard Swedish women saying they feel unsafe camping alone, some are afraid they will hurt them self while walking or the tent would be heavy to carry but never afraid.

carpefula

« Reply #51 on: 09:22:13, 05/09/16 »
I'm off to do Hadrian's Wall alone today (!) - my first LDW.

I'll let you know how it goes :-)

Deolman

« Reply #52 on: 10:28:39, 05/09/16 »
Its a brilliant walk and I am sure you will meet many other people along the way. Have a great time.

willow229

« Reply #53 on: 11:49:33, 05/09/16 »
Have a great day!

Yorkshirewalker26

« Reply #54 on: 21:29:30, 18/09/16 »
I'm off to do Hadrian's Wall alone today (!) - my first LDW.

I'll let you know how it goes :-)

Good Luck!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy