Author Topic: [TR]: Rudland Rigg - A Farndale Horseshoe  (Read 9167 times)

Mel

• Veteran Member
[TR]: Rudland Rigg - A Farndale Horseshoe
« on: 00:41:04, 22/08/16 »
Me, myself and I met up with Billy and Todd for this meet.  The Royal “We” parked up at the car park (free this time) at Low Mill and got chatting to a chap who mentioned a tea room at the other end of the “Daffodil Walk” (these things are always good to know  ;) ).  

Seeing as this is a re-run of my “Epic Fail” walk earlier this year  :-[  I won’t bore you with too much detail of the beginning of the walk, apart from to say that I learned my lesson from last time (and stuck to the Bridleway).  

A spot of shepherdessing at Horn End:  

I soon reached the ramshackle building called High Barn with views of heathery loveliness higher up:  

I (knowledgably) took the correct path to cross West Gill Beck:  

Surprisingly quickly I was at the gate leading me onto the Access Land and the steady, gentle (ish) (in places) uphill path soon had me amongst the bracken and heather:  

A newly refurbished grouse butt:  

As I neared the top of Rudland Rigg I was well and truly in heather territory and the sight and smell of it was absolutely magical.  No other sound apart from the wind, the kak-kaking of Grouse and the bzzzzzz of bumble bees:  

High above everywhere that was lower than me, it really was a smashing place to be on a sunny, blustery Sunday afternoon and my thoughts turned to finding a suitable snack-stop perch.  

About half an hour later, I gave up and just plonked myself down on a heathery ledge, somewhere near Dicken Howe, in the sunshine to enjoy my sarnie and cuppa to have my peace and tranquillity shattered by some trial-bikers whizzing along the top (legally, I hasten to add).  They slowed down when they spotted me so I nodded in thanks.  They were soon gone and peace and tranquillity was restored so I sat a while longer just enjoying the heathery smells and views:  

I could have sat there all day… probably did.  

Fed and watered, it was time to head around and down the loooooonng track to Daleside Road (it’s down there somewhere):  

I like walking downhill on a gradual gradient like this.  Walking into the views.  

Monket House Crags:  

Reaching the road I turned right for a short while before taking a left turn down a field towards Church Houses (I wasn’t going as far as that though).  Once I got to the River Dove I joined a surfaced track for a short while before discovering ….. the Daffy Caffy.  

It would have been rude not to so I got missen a sarnie and cuppa and sat in the garden and got mobbed by Chaffinches and Squirrels:  

What a lovely find  :)  

From there, it’s an easy stroll along the river (the Daffodil Walk) back to Low Mill:  

Just to finish off, I’m going to bore you with some snippets of useless observation…. As you may (or may not) know, I suffer with problems with my Achilles tendon and, more recently, my hip.  Not today.  A slight twinge after sitting but NOTHING like I normally experience.  Even after the drive home, it was only my thigh muscles that protested when I got out of the car.  I can only put this down to the fact I wasn’t wearing boots and (given the lack of rain recently) haven’t done for a while on my walks.  Even sat now, writing this, my tendon isn’t swollen, I haven’t had to ice-pack it and, to be honest, I could have walked a LOT further than the 6 and a bit miles I did today.  Normally I’m done in, crippled in agony, especially when (like this time), this is the first walk in a while that’s had any height gain.  

So, based on that moderate (370 metre gentle gradient) height gain, I think I’m ready for some serious munro-bagging next month on my Highland Hols  :D   ;D  

Thanks for reading  :)  

bootson

• Veteran Member
Re: [TR]: Rudland Rigg - A Farndale Horseshoe
« Reply #1 on: 06:06:17, 22/08/16 »
Wonderful!  :) The Daffy Caffy looks great  O0

DevonDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 09:24:58, 22/08/16 »
That looks a great walk Mel, thanks for posting.  The heather looks beautiful.

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 11:18:36, 22/08/16 »
Very purple! O0 I might have been brave enough, but was having my ear chewed off at Lincoln showground :o
Speaking of rain, it threw it down on the drive back, what about North/East Yorkshire way? Torrential it was.
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 11:22:41, 22/08/16 »
Great write up! The heather looks stunning...  O0

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 14:34:32, 22/08/16 »
The heather looks glorious    :)    And love the chaffinch and the squirrel!    :)

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 15:05:03, 22/08/16 »
Lovely photos as always Mel and glad you found your way through the fields better than last time ;-)
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 18:09:37, 22/08/16 »
And love the chaffinch and the squirrel!    :)

Yes, I should have said myself - love the chaffinch picture too!  :)

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 20:32:22, 22/08/16 »
Nice report and photos Mel  O0   The heather is looking good!
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 23:33:17, 22/08/16 »
Thanks everyone for the kind comments  :)   If there's one thing the North Yorkshire Moors does well, it's heather, and now is definitely the right time of year to go and see it  :)  great, vast swathes of purple loveliness  :)

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 23:38:00, 22/08/16 »
Very nice Mel, a great report & fabulous photos  O0
I guess the photos are 'natural' - the purple looks so deep it seems almost photo-shopped. But I know you'd not cheat.
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 00:15:20, 23/08/16 »
Have you been talking to Brian?  ;D

The only tweaking I did was to alter the contrast to reduce the over-exposure/bleached out look because of the bright sunlight  :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy