Author Topic: Reclining Seat option on Caledonian Sleeper Train  (Read 16810 times)

JohnHyperActive

Anyone successfully had a good nights sleep in one of reclining seats on this train. Thinking about it from London to Rannoch as its £275 cheaper (return) than the sleeping compartments.

I may have a mad moment and book a compartment (with 14yr old son) or catch a daytime train..

john

Summit

• Veteran Member
Re: Reclining Seat option on Caledonian Sleeper Train
« Reply #1 on: 01:01:00, 24/08/16 »
No. Sorry only did it once. Too busy, noisy. Like sharing with 50 others who can't get comfortable enough to sleep either.

Sleeper is much better asleep in a bunk.  It usually takes about the first hour to get sorted and get used to the bunk before you fall over but the wake up call is not long in coming and you have slept the full way.

BURN FAT NOT OIL

MoelPysgod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 09:33:57, 24/08/16 »
Just did this myself last week. The seats don't recline much and you're at the mercy of the gods as to who you're sat near - a weirdo who goes to sleep before 9pm, requiring you to sit stationary and silent all night; a fidgety, weak bladdered weirdo who will keep you awake all night; a [censored] with crap music blaring through their headphones all night, despite having fallen asleep before the train reached Lancaster... The atmosphere in the seated coach can be a little weird, and you're very aware of the need to keep quiet. I felt guilty going for a wee. I wouldn't want to do it often but I got from Crewe to Aviemore overnight for £55, which was worth the discomfort of the experience.

The cabin berths are obviously much more comfortable but also much more expensive.

The sleeper train is still a great experience though, you go to sleep with anonymous, fluorescently-lit towns and factories flashing past, and wake up looking at the Cairngorms under dawn skies. Magic.

JohnHyperActive

« Reply #3 on: 10:02:58, 24/08/16 »
Thanks indeed for that. We're coming up from London to Rannoch and debating day or night travel. Its a long way if its not comfy!

I'll continue to mull it over.. but your comment make me think not!

john

MoelPysgod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 10:12:59, 24/08/16 »
Honestly, I may have undersold the seating option. As a one-off, it's not all that bad. But if like me you're not an early sleeper it can be a bit dull, as you're not meant to go into the lounge car without a cabin ticket (although nobody stopped me on the outbound route, so...).

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 19:13:45, 25/08/16 »
When I did the sleeper with my daughter I rang up to book the tickets and they advised me to buy a family rail card which brought the price down quite a bit.   They seemed to be very helpful about finding the cheapest option. The rail card lasted a year as well.  We got a cabin, and both had a pretty good night's sleep.
It was 3 or 4 years ago though

Annejacko

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 20:41:42, 25/08/16 »
I recently bought a Family and Friends Railcard. They are £30 for a year but if you shop in Tesco you can use £15 of clubcard vouchers to buy one.

1/3 off adults fares and 60% off child fares on most services. Even if you only used it on one trip to Scotland you'd save money.

http://www.familyandfriends-railcard.co.uk/
Enjoy every sandwich

JohnHyperActive

« Reply #7 on: 23:07:04, 25/08/16 »
Yes! I just thought of the F&F railcard. I've renewed my old card but not received it yet. Also booked our sleeper tickets including F&F discount but probably wont have the railcard before we go. This is against the rules... but worth the risk to save £200.

Thanks...

lostme1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 07:02:40, 26/08/16 »
Just for information, if you wear hearing aids you are eligible for a disabled persons rail card. It's only  £20 compared to £30 for friends and family card. There are also no time restrictions when you can use it.
« Last Edit: 07:05:49, 26/08/16 by lostme1 »
These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

Marty

« Reply #9 on: 03:27:01, 04/09/16 »
A a cheapskate who has had to sleep on coaches, flights, longer train journeys, etc., there are a few things you can do to turn a horrific experience into a survivable one:

- high-quality earplugs (not the  disposable one, really good plugs are only a few quid)
- travel pillow (inflatable u-bend neck one, again very cheap)
- crocs, etc. (decompress your feet, I got knock-off Crocs for £2 from Tesco)
- valium or sleeping tablets (nag your GP for a few)

I can't stress enough how just a few comforts makes all the difference between being awake for hours in an ever worsening hellscape and being completely out-for-the-count.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 09:48:32, 04/09/16 »
A (good) few years ago I used to travel from Exeter to Kyle of Lochalsh overnight (leaving at 6pm arriving around midday the following day) with 2 children and 2 dogs. Money was very tight so we never had a sleeping compartment but back then the sleeper train also had ordinary carriages - at normal prices. I don't understand why this is no longer an option; we were certainly not the only people travelling that way.
Not exactly deluxe but much more comfortable than coach travel(as I discovered on a later trip).

Incidentally, with the family railcard, the children cost £1 each but the dogs £3 each! Aah those were the days.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 11:34:38, 04/09/16 »
A (good) few years ago I used to travel from Exeter to Kyle of Lochalsh overnight (leaving at 6pm arriving around midday the following day) with 2 children and 2 dogs. Money was very tight so we never had a sleeping compartment but back then the sleeper train also had ordinary carriages - at normal prices. I don't understand why this is no longer an option; we were certainly not the only people travelling that way.

There still are normal carriages. I use the Sleeper Train when I do the West Highland Way to get me the short distance from Tyndrum to Bridge Of Orchy at 8am (£3.50), seats can be booked online or pay on the train like I do. Once the Sleeper train gets north of Loch Lomond it basically turns into a normal train calling at the usual stations.

It's quite popular in the mornings with walkers  O0
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 11:41:51, 04/09/16 »
There still are normal carriages. I use the Sleeper Train when I do the West Highland Way to get me the short distance from Tyndrum to Bridge Of Orchy at 8am (£3.50), seats can be booked online or pay on the train like I do. Once the Sleeper train gets north of Loch Lomond it basically turns into a normal train calling at the usual stations.

It's quite popular in the mornings with walkers  O0

Oh? last time I enquired it was sleeper only overnight from Crewe (ex Kings Cross) to Inverness  which is what prompted the never-again-coach-trip  and from then on I've always driven.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 11:58:11, 04/09/16 »
Oh? last time I enquired it was sleeper only overnight from Crewe (ex Kings Cross) to Inverness  which is what prompted the never-again-coach-trip  and from then on I've always driven.

I guess it might be different then from the further away stations. The normal carriages though did have plenty people sleeping in them and each seat had an eye mask to block out the light ( I emphasise the word "had" as I still use mine  O0 )

A quick search at the Sleeper webpage for a journey between London and Fort William in a couple of weeks gave me the choice of a berth for £95 or a reclining seat (with complimentary sleep kit) for £55 so seats are an option. Below is an random example that I tried.

https://www.sleeper.scot/js/#/caledonian/fares
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

JohnHyperActive

« Reply #14 on: 22:53:26, 04/09/16 »
Well we're just back having booked the sleeping compartment option - chickened out of the upright seats. (London to Rannoch). Cant fault it at all really. Nice meal with wine in the lounge car in the evening. Breakfast brought to us half hour before getting off and a good nights sleep. Just an hour delay due to overhead line problems returning to London.

Some good tips though chaps on using the reclining seats though... something I'd consider if travelling up alone.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy