Author Topic: straightforward Glencoe walks  (Read 3420 times)

henryb

• Veteran Member
straightforward Glencoe walks
« on: 19:01:49, 24/08/16 »
I don't have a head for heights and I'm fearful of narrow ridges with a strong sense of exposure. I'm in the process of trying to determine suitable straightforward mountain walks in the Glencoe region. I've bought a harvey and OS map covering the area and have came up with the following possibilities: Pap of Glencoe and Sgorr nam Fiannaidh from Glencoe, Buachaille Etive Beag from the study, Beinn a'Chrulaiste/Beinn Bheag from Kingshouse, a circuit of Buachaille Etive Beag following the rivers. Would these walks be straightforward enough for someone with my abilities/fears? I also prefer a good path/track if possible. Also are there any other walks around Onich/Ballachulish and Kinlochleven which I could do? Thanks, Henry

domtheone

• Veteran Member
Re: straightforward Glencoe walks
« Reply #1 on: 19:38:37, 24/08/16 »
Not sure what its officially called (reference in the link below is the Wee Buachaille) but it's a low level walk (near horseshoe shaped) around some of the big mountains.

Lovely little walk with no exposure ridge issues as it's all along the valley (it's not flat mind as the highest point is 500m)

Some pics below.

http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=32769.0

Sparnel can clarify exactly where the walk is/goes ;D
If they don't like you going out, they'll love you coming in!

*Money back guarantee does not cover for **** weather!

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:47:04, 25/08/16 »
Think I've done that walk or one similar.  You walk over the Larig Eilde, and back by the Larig Gartain or the other way round.  You can avoid the road walk at the end by crossing the A82 and picking up the old road; a bit boggy but it keeps you out of the traffic.  I remember it as a lovely walk, fabulous views.  Oh, and I also have a bad head for heights.

domtheone

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:16:24, 25/08/16 »
That sounds about right. O0

Here's the walk.

http://www.walkscotland.com/route53.htm

Absolutely terrific.

henryb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 22:08:47, 25/08/16 »
Thanks very much folks, very helpful links, just need the weather now. Dom - could you see the path up BEB summit from the path you walked on in the valley? Thanks, Henry

domtheone

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 22:18:01, 25/08/16 »
I think so yes.

In fact, you start on the same path from the road.  Then, If you're going up to BEB, you branch left and start ascending.

This valley walk you continue straight on and ascend, albeit a lot more moderately!

henryb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 22:35:33, 25/08/16 »
Thanks for confirming, hope I get a day like you got :)

sparnel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 09:39:08, 26/08/16 »
Not much I can add to that..............The Pap is a good walk with great views at the top..........
Sparnel

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 14:14:55, 28/08/16 »
I like the look of that walk too.  Added to my pile for my hols - cheers Dom  O0

henryb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 18:42:54, 28/08/16 »
Thanks Sparnel - can I ask if it is possible to climb Aonach Dubh via Coire nan Lochan? I would follow the path from the car park and turn right at the end of the river to the summit before retracing my steps. Would that route present any difficulties? Thanks, Henry

sparnel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 09:39:37, 29/08/16 »
You can climb Stob Coire nan Lochan via the obvious coire, crossing the footbridge which is visible from the car park. Keep to the left of the river going up the coire. To avoid the cliffs which appear directly in front of you, head for the ridge on the left. It is quite scrambly but manageable. Gain the summit and then take the ridge along to the summit of Aonach Dhu. Return the same way or continue from Stob Coire nan Lochan on to Bidean and descend via the Lost Valley. (this would be quite a long day). All these routes are best done in good weather as navigation skills would be required in adverse weather condx.
Trust this helps.............

sparnel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 09:43:05, 29/08/16 »
Having just re-read my post, please note I am not referring to the coire behind the wee white cottage at Loch Achtriochtan at the western end of the glen. (The one with the obvious waterfall). It is the coire before that one.

henryb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 21:41:29, 29/08/16 »
Thanks Sparnel, this info is really useful. I've got my harvey map and should say I don't really have a head for heights. If I didn't quite make Stob Coire nan Lochan, could I turn right after the cliffs at the head of coire nan Lochan, past the small lochans (which don't have a name) and walk to Aonach Dubh that way? Thanks again, Henry

sparnel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 22:14:37, 29/08/16 »
I think that way is a bit 'scrambly.' I'm not too sure though.....I would recommend going to Bidean nam Bian via the Lost Valley route. Good walk up thru the LV and then up the steep screes at the head of the coire. Turn right and along the ridge to Bidean. I'm assuming your navigation is good as it can be a tricky place to come off in poor visibilty.  Bidean is the highest mountain in the area. I assume your Harvey map is the same as an Ordance Survey type with good detail. I've never used Harvey maps.

The MRT was called out the other day to find a family who had walked up to the top of the ski slope and then went walking along the ridge. The weather changed for the worse and they were able to phone for assistance as they became completely disorientated. They lost phone signal so the guys couldn't use the phone locator system to position them. It took quite a while and a fair amount of searching B4 they were located some distance from their start point on Clachleadt ridge.  Thankfully all ended well.  The weather was ok when they set off but deteriorated during their walk.............

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy