Author Topic: Grouse Shooting - how to avoid it?  (Read 2593 times)

adalard

• Veteran Member
Grouse Shooting - how to avoid it?
« on: 12:40:25, 27/08/16 »
I wondered if anyone knew of an easy way to find out where and when shoots might be occurring on access land, such as the moors?

I've looked online and I can't find anything centralised so is it just a case of trying to discover who the landowner is and then getting information from their website (assuming they have one)?

I know they don't shoot on Sundays but I like to do solo walks during the week if I can and as I rely on public transport for a lot of those it could be a pain in the backside if I have to do a lengthy diversion.

langsettranger

Re: Grouse Shooting - how to avoid it?
« Reply #1 on: 19:51:54, 27/08/16 »
Simple solution fae yaz.

While the "moor" may be closed, the public footpaths and bridleways must, and will be, always open.

I've walked across moorland that's closed to public access due to grouse shooting, but stayed on the public footpath and bridleway without a problem in 40 years.

The reason that the shoots are not published in advance is so that the hunt saboteurs are denied the knowledge of where they are taking place and they can't interfere with a legitimate grouse shoot.
LSR - The Langsett Stranger - retired night soil shifter, citizen, dog, lion and black buck mini lop trainer

Andies

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:40:18, 27/08/16 »
I'm no expert on these matters but when I have come across grouse shooting I believe they only shoot in a particular area for a short period before moving to another.

So either wait awhile or as I have done before have a word with them and explain where you intend to go. I have always found them OK and helpful.

At the end of the day most of them won't want to be locked up for shooting someone ;D

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 10:23:37, 28/08/16 »
Thanks, both...  :)

I suspected hiding dates from hunt saboteurs might be the reason I was struggling to find information online.

I knew about the public footpaths being still walkable too but some of the walks I have plotted involve leaving the official path. I suppose I'll just have to play it by ear on the day.

It's good to know that the shooting parties are generally friendly at least when you encounter them.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 12:30:19, 28/08/16 »
Thanks, both...  :)

I suspected hiding dates from hunt saboteurs might be the reason I was struggling to find information online.

I knew about the public footpaths being still walkable too but some of the walks I have plotted involve leaving the official path. I suppose I'll just have to play it by ear on the day.

It's good to know that the shooting parties are generally friendly at least when you encounter them.

Sabs don't get that involved in grouse shooting.There is always the danger of an accidental discharge.........

Whilst I wouldn't wish to participate in this sport myself the hunters I have met have always been friendly.

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 10:39:55, 29/08/16 »
Sabs don't get that involved in grouse shooting.There is always the danger of an accidental discharge.........

In that case, I might take the feathers off of my walking hat for the next few months just to be extra careful.  ;)

Cheers for the reply.

happyhiker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 21:04:32, 29/08/16 »
I did some research on this some time ago and there is no central reference point, possibly for the reasons mentioned. One exception is in respect of the Bolton Abbey Estate in Yorkshire who do publish the information. See http://boltonabbey.com/your-visit/walks-and-trails/

alewife

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 00:31:22, 30/08/16 »
Don't know about grouse but they shoot a lot around here and it doesn't worry me as they adhere to commonsense rules about how they shoot.But the main thing is, you can hear them from a great distance so basically, steer clear or move away from the shooting and you should be okay :-\
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

mananddog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 08:13:30, 30/08/16 »
I am involved in a shoot and the best thing is to ask either the beaters or one of the guns for advice. They usually do not shoot over paths and will wait until you are clear before starting a drive. However, if they are in mid drive they might ask you to wait for a few minutes until it is clear. They are not there to make life difficult for you.

However, we had a group of walkers turn up on our shoot, saw we were about to start the drive then proceeded to walk in a long strung out single file with about 50 yards between each of them trying their best to be a nuisance. One said "F-ing toffs" to one of the guns - he is a stonemason and a bin-man!

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 08:53:19, 30/08/16 »
Cheers, everyone - some good advice there and I feel a bit more comfortable now. Much appreciated!  O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy