Author Topic: The quieter side of the Glyderau  (Read 2923 times)

redeye

• Veteran Member
The quieter side of the Glyderau
« on: 18:32:56, 01/09/16 »
Had a great day out a couple of weeks back visiting a few peaks I'd not been to for a few years. Started and finished in fine weather while the middle bit was a bit mistyeyed  8)
https://aredeyeview.blogspot.co.uk/2016/08/the-quieter-side-of-glyderau-14-8-2016.html

MoelPysgod

• Veteran Member
Re: The quieter side of the Glyderau
« Reply #1 on: 20:32:13, 01/09/16 »
It's a superb area isn't it? I've not actually walked any of the Glyderau east of Y Garn, as I find the scrambling in the central region too tempting - can't bring myself to plod up Elidir Fawr, for instance, when I can do Bristly Ridge instead. I find Y Garn a really underappreciated summit - perhaps the best view of the range? Very handsome mountain too.

Cwm Idwal on a quiet evening is just heaven.

domtheone

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:59:54, 01/09/16 »
Great TR/pics. O0

Looks a cracking route that.
If they don't like you going out, they'll love you coming in!

*Money back guarantee does not cover for **** weather!

redeye

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 22:23:29, 01/09/16 »
Great TR/pics. O0

Looks a cracking route that.
Cheers  O0

redeye

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 22:25:50, 01/09/16 »
It's a superb area isn't it? I've not actually walked any of the Glyderau east of Y Garn, as I find the scrambling in the central region too tempting - can't bring myself to plod up Elidir Fawr, for instance, when I can do Bristly Ridge instead. I find Y Garn a really underappreciated summit - perhaps the best view of the range? Very handsome mountain too.

Cwm Idwal on a quiet evening is just heaven.
Know what you mean about the scrambling, love it myself but sometimes a good leg stretcher with good views and a bit on the quieter side is needed.  O0

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 17:37:38, 02/09/16 »
Really enjoyed the TR and photos - the reflections on Llyn Idwal are beautiful.  O0

I've toyed with the idea of going up from Llyn Bochlwyd via Y Gribin and returning to the A5 via the path you took up past Pinnacle Crag but I'm not an experienced scrambler and not sure of how much technique (if any) might be needed on the ascent... Your route up certainly looks fine so maybe I'll work that into an alternative walk.

Thanks for sharing!  :)

clyoung

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 23:49:44, 02/09/16 »
Some great photos, looks like an interesting walk.

We were troubled by large black flying insects on the Nantlle ridge later that week. They seemed to be crawling out of the ground and there were swarms of them. On Mynydd Mawr too but didn't see many on Snowdon until we were going back along the Clogwyn Gwin path.

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 12:08:24, 04/09/16 »
A superb circuit even in less than ideal conditions. It reminds me that we've never climbed Y Garn by the eastern ridge above Cwm Clyd. looks excellent.

redeye

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 20:51:56, 08/09/16 »
Really enjoyed the TR and photos - the reflections on Llyn Idwal are beautiful.  O0

I've toyed with the idea of going up from Llyn Bochlwyd via Y Gribin and returning to the A5 via the path you took up past Pinnacle Crag but I'm not an experienced scrambler and not sure of how much technique (if any) might be needed on the ascent... Your route up certainly looks fine so maybe I'll work that into an alternative walk.

Thanks for sharing!  :)

Thanks adalard. Not much in the way of scrambling, there is a path for most of the way. You can go on the edge if you like or away from it. I was using poles for the whole of the walk so stayed away from any scrambling spots. I came down that way the last time I was there and found it Ok but like a lot of ascent paths, harder coming down than going up, enjoy it  O0

redeye

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 20:53:22, 08/09/16 »
Some great photos, looks like an interesting walk.

We were troubled by large black flying insects on the Nantlle ridge later that week. They seemed to be crawling out of the ground and there were swarms of them. On Mynydd Mawr too but didn't see many on Snowdon until we were going back along the Clogwyn Gwin path.
Thanks Clare O0 The flies are a damn nuisance for sure >:(

redeye

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 20:54:34, 08/09/16 »
A superb circuit even in less than ideal conditions. It reminds me that we've never climbed Y Garn by the eastern ridge above Cwm Clyd. looks excellent.
Cheers Geoff  O0 A very good way up and excellent views when its clear.

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 09:15:06, 09/09/16 »
Not much in the way of scrambling, there is a path for most of the way. You can go on the edge if you like or away from it. I was using poles for the whole of the walk so stayed away from any scrambling spots. I came down that way the last time I was there and found it Ok but like a lot of ascent paths, harder coming down than going up, enjoy it  O0

Ahh, nice one - cheers for the info!  :)

Cnicht

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 21:25:30, 30/09/16 »
Brings back good times Andy when I did Elider Fawr and Elider Fach 😊

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy