Author Topic: What's Your Latest Walking Kit Purchase?  (Read 74848 times)

jimbob

• Veteran Member
Re: What's Your Latest Walking Kit Purchase?
« Reply #675 on: 23:42:25, 06/03/19 »
I got it on offer two weeks ago from Camping Direct Online.I then got another ten per cent discount on the sale price because I filled in everything as if I was going to buy but delayed finishing  the transaction for a few days and they sent me the discount offer. I only delayed because I was away from home and didn't want a failed delivery.
Those pouches look good, less bulk than the sandwich box type cooker. I may give those a try.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Litehiker

« Reply #676 on: 03:07:01, 09/03/19 »
1. REI FLASH Insulated All Season (R5.3) air mattress for winter camping - 1 lb. 3 oz.
2. Eddie Bauer PEAK XV expedition down parka (good to -30 F., -25 C.) fully baffled & the hood is helmet compatible for skiing & climbing
I have experienced -40 F./C. and I'm sure this parka is OK at that temperature. (On a 50% off sale!!)
3.eight MSR Ground Hog tent stakes (At an outrageous US $2.95 each + an equally outrageous 8.3% tax) But these are the best light tent stakes.

Earlier this year:
 Council Took Wood Crafter's camp axe (looks like a Hudson's Bay short axe) For canoe and car camping, it has a 17" handle.

Eric B.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #677 on: 12:03:44, 09/03/19 »
I've just bought a £15 Champion brand long waterproof coat. I plan to use it in my quest to completely separate the need to keep dry, from my other, more important (as I see it) clothing purchases, when I have to deal with the other weather conditions, cold, wind and so on. I started hiking by buying an expensive bottom length waterproof jacket, waterproof trousers, waterproof gaiters and waterproof boots, but I was never happy with this arrangment.

I especially dislike waterproof trousers, just makes me hot and sweaty in all of the wrong places and are always a faff to put on and off. I'm going to use the Champion long coat as a testbed to try to prove to myself that I can stay dry, without having to make any future large financial 'waterproof' clothing outlays on what is marketed as sophiscated high tec waterproof clothing.

I also run off road and my coat can be worn as I run in the rain. Did it yesterday, it worked well.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #678 on: 08:55:29, 10/03/19 »

Walking pole £5 from Go with shock absorber function.
Has just performed perfectly on a week's walking in the Alpajurras.

The Leki I'd bought turned out not to have shock absorbancy so the Go was a panic buy the day we flew out. The Leki is going back.
Most walks start by finding the way out of the car park

taxino8

« Reply #679 on: 12:09:14, 10/03/19 »
Two pairs of Alpkit Merino wool undies!
As I donít buy normal stuff and havenít got a clue what stuff costs my wife couldnít believe it when I told her I paid £17, she said ďthatís mad for two pairs of undiesĒ.
I then said no, they were in a sale and they were £17 per pair, she nearly fell over!
They are very nice to wear though but again she was not impressed when I told her she had to hand wash them and hang to dry, no tumble dryer.

Bigfoot_Mike

« Reply #680 on: 12:15:32, 10/03/19 »
Two pairs of Alpkit Merino wool undies!
As I donít buy normal stuff and havenít got a clue what stuff costs my wife couldnít believe it when I told her I paid £17, she said ďthatís mad for two pairs of undiesĒ.
I then said no, they were in a sale and they were £17 per pair, she nearly fell over!
They are very nice to wear though but again she was not impressed when I told her she had to hand wash them and hang to dry, no tumble dryer.
Mrs BFMís view is that you should do your own hand washing  ;D

alan de enfield

« Reply #681 on: 12:50:27, 10/03/19 »
Mrs BFMís view is that you should do your own hand washing  ;D

I agree - I always manage to wash my own hands, but clothes are the responsibility of SWMBO.

taxino8

« Reply #682 on: 12:52:47, 10/03/19 »

I agree - I always manage to wash my own hands, but clothes are the responsibility of SWMBO.
I'm with you 110% on that one.

forgotmyoldpassword

« Reply #683 on: 12:59:53, 10/03/19 »
My view is it's whoever gets to the washing machine first with a few spare minutes.  Not sure anyone does much ironing these days!

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #684 on: 13:30:28, 10/03/19 »
A bit gimmicky, but a rather nice Titanium mug.
Came from Hong Kong for £4.75, and comparing it with a genuine titanium cutlery set i own, its the real deal.
Probably does not weigh much less than a normal mug, but for less than a £5 it was a worthy addition to enjoy a favourite cuppa.

forgotmyoldpassword

« Reply #685 on: 13:41:36, 10/03/19 »
A bit gimmicky, but a rather nice Titanium mug.
Came from Hong Kong for £4.75, and comparing it with a genuine titanium cutlery set i own, its the real deal.
Probably does not weigh much less than a normal mug, but for less than a £5 it was a worthy addition to enjoy a favourite cuppa.

Quite like the X-cup for these purposes, but shiny titanium does clink nicely too!

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #686 on: 15:44:26, 10/03/19 »
Pack of 3 refillable lighters from Poundland to light my new MSR2 pocket rocket stove  :)
Where there's a will ...