Author Topic: What's Your Latest Walking Kit Purchase?  (Read 77266 times)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: What's Your Latest Walking Kit Purchase?
« Reply #705 on: 08:28:30, 24/03/19 »

6 of those aluminium 'Y' section tent pegs to replace some fatally bent over the last week or so - 4.
A map reading compass for my daughter - 3.
A 'Eurohike' aluminium COB LED torch - 100 lumens and lasts 6-7 hours on 3 triple 'A's - 2.50.

All from Millets in Inverness retail park whilst returning from a trip 'Sooth'.

Also some Gore Tex patches from Tiso's in Perth - must get that rip in my jacket fixed before I snag it again and make it worse.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #706 on: 08:31:58, 24/03/19 »

Finally decided to give walking poles a go to see if they are any good, in the past I've always decried them unless they're for those who need them due to some medical or other issue.  If I remember I'll post back after I've given them a bit of a workout :)

That's how I feel about them - I was given a pair a couple of years ago, and I know that I should give them a try, but they always seem to get left behind in the porch or in the boot of the car. I seem to manage just fine whether uphill or down, as long as I take my time on the steep bits.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #707 on: 10:05:30, 24/03/19 »
You don't have to use them, just secured to your rucksack will make you look more professional and will give you that 'John Wayne' look!  ;)

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #708 on: 10:29:22, 24/03/19 »
You don't have to use them, just secured to your rucksack will make you look more professional and will give you that 'John Wayne' look!  ;)

?

Don't tend to use them when walking with just a light day pack but do when carrying a heavy load. Using the arms as well as the legs helps reduce fatigue. As well as helping you keep your balance.

GinAndPlatonic

« Reply #709 on: 20:05:32, 24/03/19 »
I am now the proud owner of a three legged fold up stool hanging from my rucksack...what do I look like...no don`t answer that >:(

bipolarbob

« Reply #710 on: 13:56:21, 25/03/19 »
this:

montane mens alpine pro GTX jacket from SportPursuit.com.  [/size]

51% off it.  Got good reviews too. 

Jim Parkin

« Reply #711 on: 21:56:23, 25/03/19 »
Harvey's 1:40k ultramaps of the Peak District (three cover the entire area).  Well worth buying - good enough detail for me to hit Kinder Gates from Fairbrook Naze.  Each one has the folded size of a small smartphone, and unfolds very cleverly - it is usable in strong wind, as it is small enouth.  I now prefer it to the OS 1:25k maps, for the Peak District at least.

Chris Townsend's review here:
https://www.tgomagazine.co.uk/gear-editors-column/harvey-ultramap/
« Last Edit: 22:05:24, 25/03/19 by Jim Parkin »

Litehiker

« Reply #712 on: 20:15:59, 05/04/19 »
Thought I'd replied to this thread but can't find it so here goes:

1. REI FLASH Insulated 3 season air mattress - good to 15 F.
2. REI FLASH Insulated All Season (winter) air mattress - good to at least -10 F.
3. Sea to Summit pump bag/dry bag (to pump up the above mattresses, thus keeping my moist and bacteria-laden breath from the mattresses)
4. Eddie Bauer PEAK XV expedition -30 F. down parka (on a 50% off sale) An amazing piece of gear. Very well designed and fabricated.
5. MSR Whisperlite Universal 3 fuel stove (petrol, kerosene and butane canister) changing jets is necessary for each fuel type.

I considered Dyneema solo tents (Tarptent Notch Li or AEON) but the high cost and 1 to 1.5 lb. weight savings was not worth it. I'll just lose that weight off  the "love muffin" around my waist, thank you very much. Besides, I "need" to buy a new Leica HD-B 2200 laser rangefinder binocular for hunting out here in the wide open spaces of Nevada. (Yeah, I know, they are far more "spendy" than a Dyneema tent.)

I now have over 100 Kg. of Ultra Light backpacking gear.  ;)

Eric B.

FOX160

« Reply #713 on: 08:22:43, 06/04/19 »
Just bitten the bullet on the ]https://yamamountaingear.com/collections/shelters/products/1p-cirriform-dw-
for my Winter shelter.
Gone for the stealth Blue tarp and Grey inner combo
Internet library pic below

« Last Edit: 12:18:10, 06/04/19 by FOX160 »