Author Topic: What's Your Latest Walking Kit Purchase?  (Read 292229 times)

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
Re: What's Your Latest Walking Kit Purchase?
« Reply #270 on: 16:28:57, 14/06/17 »

Yes I was thinking of going there thanks.
I know I wouldn't ask or expect a retailer to split a par of boots, but at a factory every boot is simply added to a matching size to make a pair. Logically they simply return each boot to the appropriate size coming off the line. Then it gets matched back in.  ::)
Its because they take a pride in ensuring a proper fit that I assume they would do this?

I was unaware of any difference in my feet (beyond a bunion on one) until quite recently. Though I gather that lots of people have different size feet (maybe not a big difference). Mine is just a half size I think.

A quick phone call to the factory will confirm whether they are prepared to sell you a split sized pair or not.

If the information on the website below is still correct the only boots manufactured onsite at the factory in Richmond these days are the made to measure boots with all the rest being made in a factory in Italy. Prior to seeing that I had understood that the Military and Police contract boots were made in Italy but the walking boots were made in Richmond.

https://www.timeoutdoors.com/Blogs/Andrew-Risbey/January-2014/Visit-to-Alt-Berg,-the-Yorkshire-Bootmakers

The off-the-shelf walking boots are all made in Treviso, Italy (under close supervision from Richmond!), which is also where all of the leather is sourced.

The only walking boots still made in Richmond are made to measure boots - but this is very unusual given that the standard boots come in English sizes 3 - 15 together with 5 width fittings, making a total of 115 different fittings! Made to measure is really a last resort for people with very unusual feet or injuries etc.

I also have a ½ size difference between my feet when weighted and ended up with a same size pair but did find that I had to go up a full size on my actual measured size to achieve what feels like an extremely comfortable fit to me. I've seen others reporting exactly the same thing as it seems that Altberg do like to fit their boots very snugly indeed - perhaps too close fitting for some including myself.

Whalley Warm & Dry will be best placed to advise you once they have measured your feet and you've tried a few pairs on. Trust your first impressions when trying them on as you will immediately know when they feel just right and after 10 minutes wearing them and wandering about you should not even be aware of them being on your feet.

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #271 on: 20:20:36, 14/06/17 »
Not as much a "walking kit purchase", a bit more like something to take with me while walking to take photos with.

Nope, not a camera  :D Got one of those bendy tripod thingamyjigs so I can take selfie scenery photos etc a bit easier instead of looking for level rocks. It comes with bluetooth so I can use the little remote control rather than a self-timer then run to get in position.

I can see some Alps-selfies coming soon, haha
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

jethro10

« Reply #272 on: 20:31:01, 14/06/17 »
I just used my recently purchased sit mat, I'm fed up getting a damp backside! It's now an essential part of my kit  :coolsmiley:
I keep meaning to do that, every time it's lunch I remember. Get home. I forget. Now I've remembered!

gary m

• Veteran Member
« Reply #273 on: 12:19:31, 16/06/17 »
trekkertent stealth 1 not used it yet but it is so light
you have 1 life live it

SteveCRunner

« Reply #274 on: 14:54:35, 16/06/17 »
I do a lot of walk-running on national paths so I have just ordered a pair of Salomon Sense Pro Max trail shoes at 47% off at Wiggle.

SteveCRunner

« Reply #275 on: 15:03:06, 16/06/17 »
I do a lot of walk-running on national paths so I have just ordered a pair of Salomon Sense Pro Max trail shoes at 47% off at Wiggle.

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #276 on: 15:19:03, 16/06/17 »
Is that 2 pairs then? They must be goid  :D
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

KimE

« Reply #277 on: 11:54:53, 18/06/17 »
I bought a Exped synmat UL lite M its a litte narrow for my ams, i havn`t tried it in the feilds yet. 450g including pump,bag and repairkit.

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #278 on: 19:42:03, 20/06/17 »
Sawyer mini water filter, hopefully it will help me lighten my load on day walks.
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #279 on: 11:17:33, 21/06/17 »
My latest kit item was this....

http://www.trekitt.co.uk/10760/products/lowe-alpine-space-case-black.aspx?origin=pla&kwd=&currency=GBP&gclid=CMOvvdr3htQCFYqRGwodfhUM-Q

Great for Summer use and it's surprising just how much you can fit in it.  I'm impressed!  8)

Just got one of these for my birthday and, have to say, very impressed.  Thanks for the heads up on this Sunnydale.

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #280 on: 19:30:33, 21/06/17 »
Temp hitting 30c yesterday so went to Go Outdoors for a few bits and bobs and ended up buying a new fleece.

No, I haven't worn it yet.  :)

Zizag

• Veteran Member
« Reply #281 on: 22:09:06, 21/06/17 »
Just ordered a OMM Mountain raid 1.0. Sleeping bag . Lightweight synthetic .  Less than 400 Grams .  O0
Trying to Reduce my Rucksack load for future Walks /hikes and Camping out .

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #282 on: 13:53:16, 23/06/17 »

Just got one of these for my birthday and, have to say, very impressed.  Thanks for the heads up on this Sunnydale.

Glad you like it pleb! O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #283 on: 16:07:40, 23/06/17 »
A quick visit to the Montane outlet for some "lighter" wear for summer use saw me leave with a couple of Sonic short sleeved shirts, a pair of  terra trousers and a Dyno Jacket. 
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

Peter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #284 on: 08:42:00, 24/06/17 »
I know it's a self inflicted problem, but I really envy the fact you can all go out and buy quality kit.
Due to my size and weight I can't get near the good stuff.  :-[
& I probably need it more, since its quite likely I walk the fells far more than many.  :(
Peter
sometimes I fall off the learning curve....
Join: Yorkshire Dales Walking Buddies
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1783012625307

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy