Author Topic: An Impromptu Ascent of Great Gable  (Read 1468 times)

Hedgetrimmer

An Impromptu Ascent of Great Gable
« on: 22:38:17, 10/09/16 »
I had this idea today of maybe going up to Sprinkling Tarn, and perhaps then looping around to Glaramara. My hill fitness is still slow to return though, so I didn't know how far I'd actually get - once again, I'd just play it by ear, see what my energy levels were.
So it was park up at Seathwaite and off up Grains Gill. This is a place of waterfalls. Further up, the path follows Ruddy Gill, which plunges down a narrow gorge beneath a footbridge:

And more waterfalls:

All the way up, the head of this little valley is dominated by Great End:

And on to Sprinkling Tarn, Great Gable and Green Gable on the left:

Sprinkling Tarn:

By the time I got here, I was already quite tired, perhaps in part because I didn't get much sleep the night before. Looking up at Glaramara, I just didn't fancy it:

So I had a little scramble around above the tarn, and discovered another little tarn that I never knew existed:

Too small to be named I suppose. With Great End still looming over the scene, Great Gable also draws the eye:

After a bite to eat, I didn't know what to do with myself, and was inclined to head down to Styhead and just return to the car via Styhead Gill. Styhead tarn:

But then, I don't know what got into me, but I decided to head up Great Gable. I didn't think I'd go all the way up, but thought i'd just see if there were any views to be had on the way. Glad I did too, because then the clouds broke up and the sun came out, happy days! Helvellyn in the distance, with the clouds lining up on parade above:

My pace going up was positively glacial, but as always, the path and the promise of grand views draws you on. I persevered, and wonder of wonders, I actually made it to the top!  :o

And the views. Wasdale and Wast Water:

Haystacks centre, with High Crag and High Stile on the left, Grasmoor prominent on the right:

Need a little help on this one, as I haven't walked these fells; is it Pillar? And the flat top Kirk Fell?:

Langdale Pikes; Harrison Stickle left, Pike o' Stickle right:

And of course, the Scafells:

I had thought even of going down to Windy Gap and over Green Gable to return, but looking at the extra climbing on Green Gable, my heart just wasn't in it - not ready for more yet; didn't think i was ready for this much yet! So it was back down the same path, and down via Styhead Gill. Mallard ducks on Styhead tarn:

Looking back; Styhead tarn, Great End and Scafells:

And above Taylor Gill Force, Blencathra on the skyline:

Knees are now like jelly, can barely get out of my chair!

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
Re: An Impromptu Ascent of Great Gable
« Reply #1 on: 22:50:07, 10/09/16 »
Some cracking shots there Hedgetrimmer.  O0

domtheone

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 23:47:55, 10/09/16 »

Me needs to get back up Great Gable (no view last time)   :o    

Some great shots there. O0 O0 O0

Pretty sure you're right re Kirk Fell and Pillar.

If they don't like you going out, they'll love you coming in!

*Money back guarantee does not cover for **** weather!

Hedgetrimmer

« Reply #3 on: 11:07:58, 11/09/16 »
Thanks for the compliments on the photos. In the morning, I wondered if I'd get anything worthwhile due to the poor light, so the afternoon sunshine was an unexpected bonus.
Great Gable is one I've wanted to do for some time, certainly worth a second crack in good weather.
I thought they had to be Pillar and Kirk Fell. As the visibility was good and I'm reasonably familiar with the ground I was walking, the map didn't come out all day, until I got home to try and work these two out.
Pillar looks like a very nice ridge walk, but I'll have to see how my fitness progresses, as it's a bit of a walk from any car park  ::)

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 13:19:54, 11/09/16 »
Actually, just looking at your picture of Pillar again. I think the fell on the right is more likely High Stile or Red Pike rather than Kirk Fell.
I think Kirk fell would have been closer and to the left of where you're standing..
I think..
In fact now as I've looked again, and assuming you're using a lot of zoom, I now think that's Kirk fell in the foreground.
Unless of course I've got my bearings completely wrong. Which wouldn't be the first time..

Hedgetrimmer

« Reply #5 on: 13:38:03, 11/09/16 »
The foreground fell is the one I meant I thought was Kirk Fell. I think this walk was the first time I've seen Pillar, which was why I wasn't certain of that. My knowledge of the Lakeland geography is growing slowly but surely; still piecing it together in my mind though.

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 13:46:54, 11/09/16 »
Oh Yes, I now see that I misread your caption in the first place... Must concentrate :-[

MoelPysgod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 16:49:30, 12/09/16 »
Pure p0rn. Thanks! In particular I loved the two photos of Sprinkling Tarn.

Scrambledlegs

« Reply #8 on: 09:26:09, 18/09/16 »
This is amazing! Sums up my version of a perfect day. Those views are mind blowing. I can only imagine what it feels like to actually be there. Roll on spring time so i can see it for myself.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy