Author Topic: Weather  (Read 1340 times)

nicthedeacon

Weather
« on: 17:20:53, 12/09/16 »
Every October I go to the lakes for a long walking and  wild camping whilst I am there.
I usually go in the 1st week of October and the weather has been great but this year I am going on the last weekend in October, and once again I will be camping up in the hills but is the temperature going to be massively different than early October? will it be brass monkeys?

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
Re: Weather
« Reply #1 on: 18:58:38, 12/09/16 »
Quite possibly... I visit Snowdonia at this time of year, usually mid to late October and more often than not the weather was rubbish, so I ended up moving the break back into September.
I know it's not specifically the Lakes but it's similar..

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:21:10, 12/09/16 »
In my opinion it will definitely be quite a few degrees colder in late October than at the beginning of the month.
I always used to go backpacking in Snowdonia (again not the Lakes, sorry!) in the first week in October, because that was the earliest my then employers would allow you take your autumn holiday. Weather used to be somewhat cool, sun and cloud, and heavy rain usually during the night. Had frosts on one trip, four days of very strong wind on another.
Think about what it's like towards the end of October, heading up to fireworks night. You've also got shorter days to consider, too.

Later on I applied to go at the end of September, the boss didn't say anything so that became my usual date. Now that I'm retired I can go any time in September, but I've had much more wet weather in the most recent years. Climate change, I reckon.

Jon71

« Reply #3 on: 12:41:19, 13/09/16 »
Going over to Keswick first weekend in October so hopefully it stays like it's meant to :) Although I love the Lakes whatever the weather.

redeye

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 17:20:28, 13/09/16 »
Last year, the end of October start of November, the weather was more like summer than summer so you never know. We always have a long weekend in Snowdonia in November and apart from a couple of days the weather has been superb. O0

nicthedeacon

« Reply #5 on: 10:50:30, 19/09/16 »
Cheers everyone
I usually like to go at the Beginning of October because it is quieter, last year there was no one on the top of Helvellyn at sunset

NewWalkerMark

« Reply #6 on: 17:05:17, 19/09/16 »
We're heading to the Lakes on Saturday, fingers crossed it doesn't rain... then again, we'll love it no matter what the weather does  O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy